Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Why does someone need a 10-60x scope? Are people using their rifle scopes to double as spotting scopes?

Pardon my ignorance, I just don’t get it. What’s the target market for such outrageous zoom scopes? Wouldn’t more offerings in the 3-15 or 4-16 range appeal to a lot more folks and sell more?

I have a 15-60x on my F-Class rifle. I would have the 80x March if I could afford it.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point
Why does someone need a 10-60x scope? Are people using their rifle scopes to double as spotting scopes?

Pardon my ignorance, I just don’t get it. What’s the target market for such outrageous zoom scopes? Wouldn’t more offerings in the 3-15 or 4-16 range appeal to a lot more folks and sell more?

I have a 15-60x on my F-Class rifle. I would have the 80x March if I could afford it.

Yeah, but people who don't shoot at little targets far away in competition, but, instead plink at rocks or steel, don't need that power or resolution, and they don't get why you do.....

🙄

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I don’t understand the shooting comp world. Don’t even know what Benchrest vs F class means. Not my bag.

But doesn’t FOV matter? Even when I shoot targets (and especially game!) at longer ranges, I want to see my hits and know what’s going on. Too much mag tightens FOV. Is that not a concern for these competitions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I don’t understand the shooting comp world. Don’t even know what Benchrest vs F class means. Not my bag.

But doesn’t FOV matter? Even when I shoot targets (and especially game!) at longer ranges, I want to see my hits and know what’s going on. Too much mag tightens FOV. Is that not a concern for these competitions?

They don't pay that money for those scopes because they suck at the game they play. 😉

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by goalie

They don't pay that money for those scopes because they suck at the game they play. 😉
Obviously.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

That's a good question. In F-Class, each shot is scored individually. Up until recently, there would be someone in the pits who would detect the shot, pull the target down, service it (score) and send it back up with a spotter on your shot. You and your scorer would see the show and the value on the target and record the score and then you take the next shot. These days, we use electronic targets, and you see the hit on your smartphone or a tablet.

FOV is important, and that's why the new Majesta from March is so highly sought after. Its FOV is huge compared to regular riflescope so that when I'm shooting the target at 1000yards using 80X magnification, I can actually see the entire target and about half of the neighboring targets.

I can thus detect conditions, such as mirage and make a final adjustment before talking the shot. Between shots, I monitor the conditions with a Kowa spotting scope at 35X.

When the X-ring is 5 inches, you want the most magnification possible for precision shooting, and the Majesta is the king of riflescopes for F-class.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FTR.
We are allowed a spotter.
Number of years ago I bought the Kowa Highlanders.
Much more comfortable than a single..
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

That's a good question. In F-Class, each shot is scored individually. Up until recently, there would be someone in the pits who would detect the shot, pull the target down, service it (score) and send it back up with a spotter on your shot. You and your scorer would see the show and the value on the target and record the score and then you take the next shot. These days, we use electronic targets, and you see the hit on your smartphone or a tablet.

FOV is important, and that's why the new Majesta from March is so highly sought after. Its FOV is huge compared to regular riflescope so that when I'm shooting the target at 1000yards using 80X magnification, I can actually see the entire target and about half of the neighboring targets.

I can thus detect conditions, such as mirage and make a final adjustment before talking the shot. Between shots, I monitor the conditions with a Kowa spotting scope at 35X.

When the X-ring is 5 inches, you want the most magnification possible for precision shooting, and the Majesta is the king of riflescopes for F-class.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by dave7mm
FTR.
We are allowed a spotter.
Number of years ago I bought the Kowa Highlanders.
Much more comfortable than a single..
Dave

The Kowa Highlander is a fabulous optics, especially the CaF2 version. However, that said, it is way too big and heavy for me to use in position. I am currently using a Kowa 883 (CaF2 glass) with the new TE-80XW eyepiece and that works perfectly for me, sitting on top of my small collapsible base with the Manfrotto head.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the most expensive toys I've bought.
After years of use I find going back to a single spotter is like looking through a funnel.
Awkward.
Uncomfortable.
Its just a part of our kit now.
I spent time looking at different binos
I looked at home made big eye binos.
Looked at the Oberwerk stuff.
Just recently got a look at the single Swarovski with the duel eye pieces. Very nice optic.
Just haven't seen anything I like better than the twin Kowas .

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I get that. The Kowa High Lander is about the best thing available that you can still pick up and more around. But at over 14 pounds and $5000 even before the two required eyepieces, it was too much of a stretch. I've seen them used by wind coaches on some of the bigger teams.

The Swaro BTX is a nice system and I know a few people who use that in position, but that unit is very big and heavy compared to my Kowa 883, and I have a wider FOV with the TE-80XW. So go figure.

The nice thing with binos is that you get the 3D effect. The Swaro BTX tries to emulate that from a single objective, but it didn't think it was working that well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Took awhile to get this pic.
That's a coyote target.
Its at 1000 yards.
I typically run around 40x
The other targets at 950,900, and 850 are all smaller.
Dave

That's impressive, what scope, what power setting is that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/
I shoot VBR or varmint bench rest at the Ridgeway Rifle Club.
The course of fire is 10 crows at 850.
10 woodchucks at 900.
10 bobcats at 950
And 10 coyotes at a 1000 yards.
At the start of your relay you have 1.5 minutes on a 6 inch diameter swinger that hangs just to the left of your bank of targets.When the 1.5 minute's are up there is a very short brake and then you shoot your bank of 5 animals left to right.
Animals are shot left to right in order.Shooting out of order doesn't count.
Only animals that are hit and fall over count for your score.
When the relay is over the ceasefire remove all bolts command is given over the PA system.
They hire high school kids to run out and set the animals back up.
Then you fire the second half of your relay .. the next 5 animals.
I've been shooting the match since 2011.
In that time the highest score ever fired has been a 37 out of a possible 40.
We typically have 150 shooters a month.
The rifle in the picture is a 17 pound Stolle Teddie with a kelbely 1m stock.
Schneider HV barrel chambered in 6mm Dasher.
The scope is the 10-60x52 March with a dot reticle.
I'm usually at 40x .

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sweet, Dave. Are the targets of a weight that the 6mm handles knocking them down consistently?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the detail Dave, very nice!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a 50x52 March I use off the bench. Haven't seen anything better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Pretty sweet, Dave. Are the targets of a weight that the 6mm handles knocking them down consistently?
When I started I ran a 300 SAUM.
No issues taking down targets .
Than ran a couple different 6.5s.
No issues.
In 2020 I started running a 6mm Dasher in the 17 pound and a 6mm BRA in the 12 pound.
The coyote target weighs 40 pounds.
I hit 3 of the coyotes this summer and they didn't fall over.
Never had a issue on the smaller targets
I've gone back to the 6.5.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.