Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What husbands want for their wives is a non starter. First rule of handguns for wives or girl friends is let them choose it. They are more likely to carry it than one some else chose. Even a 22 or .380 being carried is better than one left at home because they don't like it.

My wife does not like any semi, but she is happy carrying her Lady Smith in 38 sp.
This right here ^^^
If she doesn't take to racking a slide, try the revolvers.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FMTT. Have you read the thread? I am not asking anyone here whether I should get her a revolver or not, okay?

Save that answer for the guy who asks the question.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Revolver. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
What's the skinny on the CZ P10C?

I hate the trigger.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Revolver. grin

LOL.

I do wish there was a DAO Beretta Compact with no decockers, no safety, etc. The simplicity and capacity---not to mention reliability---that Glock introduced to these shores in the 80s is just hard to beat.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I hate the trigger.

Would you please expound on that just a bit?

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hate the trigger.

It bites. Literally.

Honestly, it's an easy gun to shoot well, but my finger can't tolerate it for long. That may not be an issue for someone who won't shoot it much, but for me it's a deal killer that prevents me from getting very familiar with it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Revolver. grin

LOL.

I do wish there was a DAO Beretta Compact with no decockers, no safety, etc. The simplicity and capacity---not to mention reliability---that Glock introduced to these shores in the 80s is just hard to beat.
I often think a double action only version would be ideal, too. The double action trigger on it is so nice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
FMTT. Have you read the thread? I am not asking anyone here whether I should get her a revolver or not, okay?

Save that answer for the guy who asks the question.
Get her a Desert Eagle then. If she can’t rack the slide, she can always wield it like a club.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hate the trigger.

It bites. Literally.

Honestly, it's an easy gun to shoot well, but my finger can't tolerate it for long. That may not be an issue for someone who won't shoot it much, but for me it's a deal killer that prevents me from getting very familiar with it.

I like the P10 a lot and carry one regularly. Just picked up an optic ready slide for it in fact. The gun has nice ergonomics. If trigger bite is an issue for you, installing either the Cajun Gunworks or HBI aftermarket triggers will most likely solve that problem, and they aren't very spendy.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
My wife has been shooting and carrying handguns for over 40 years. She carried small revolvers for years and was very comfortable with them. The kids decided back a few years ago that she needed an up grade and got her a micro 9mm pistol. She shot it well and carried it for a few years. Then she had surgery on her hands and could no longer tolerate the recoil. We got her a Glock 42 ,380 and she could handle that level of recoil. But it has limited capacity for what most folks think in needed these days and the .380 has limited power that some folks think is much less than what is needed. The kids came to the rescue again and she now has a SW shield plus in .30 super carry. It is small enough and light enough and has 13 plus 1 and 16 plus 1 capacity and a bunch more power than the .380 and it kicks a bit less. Perhaps the .30 super carry might suit your needs. My wife is 77 years old with hand strength issues and the slide manipulation is an issue for her. She will likely never need to use the slide with 13 or 16 rds on board.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In 9mm, it's called a Beretta 8000D Mini-Cougar. Here is a picture of the .40 S&W version, called the 8040D. It's a chunk by today's standards. It is a double stack and can also take the full size Cougar magazines with a grip sleeve (or not). The D action is very smooth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It has been discontinued for a decade or two, but you can still find them. Most people hate DAO guns, so the price should be cheaper than the comparable DA/SA guns.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lonerider
My wife has been shooting and carrying handguns for over 40 years. She carried small revolvers for years and was very comfortable with them. The kids decided back a few years ago that she needed an up grade and got her a micro 9mm pistol. She shot it well and carried it for a few years. Then she had surgery on her hands and could no longer tolerate the recoil. We got her a Glock 42 ,380 and she could handle that level of recoil. But it has limited capacity for what most folks think in needed these days and the .380 has limited power that some folks think is much less than what is needed. The kids came to the rescue again and she now has a S@W shield plus in .30 super carry. It is small enough and light enough and has 13 plus 1 and 16 plus 1 capacity and a bunch more power than the .380 and it kicks a bit less. Perhaps the .30 super carry might suit your needs. My wife is 77 years old with hand strength issues and the slide manipulation is an issue for her. She will likely never need to use the slide with 13 or 16 rds on board.
Yeah, that seems about right. Only question will be ammo availability.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG

I hate the trigger.

It bites. Literally.

I like the P10 a lot and carry one regularly. Just picked up an optic ready slide for it in fact. The gun has nice ergonomics. If trigger bite is an issue for you, installing either the Cajun Gunworks or HBI aftermarket triggers will most likely solve that problem, and they aren't very spendy.

Yeah, I figure there's a cure, but a pistol of that price shouldn't need one. There's other models that I shoot just as well (and comfortably so) with no modifications. But if that's what it takes, I'm all for it.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Ammo isnt really a concern currently, All the stores have an abundance. 350 rounds came with the gun. A set of dies and a mess of bullets are in house currently. Lots of powders work well. For a small round it has some decent juice. I expect I will shoot it more than she will but it seems to fit her well and she likes it...that is a good thing I think. I certainly hope there are other guns in the works. By the way she still prefers revolvers as well. Its probably our age I reckon..A bit old fashioned. But there is a time when us old foggies change our thinkin a bit. Never had a striker fired 9mm plastic gun until 2018. Did not care for them but they are growing on us slowly!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Girsan MC 14T Lady Tip-Up, no need to rack the slide, in 380 less recoil.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My wife did not like the shooting the 40 S&W glocks that i had, recoil was to 'snappy" for her. So I converted one of MY G22's to a G17. She liked that configuration way better. She liked it well enough and shoot it well also, but mentioned she wanted something a bit smaller in the grip size. So, I bought her a Glock 48 with a Stream light TLR Sub 7 weapon light. The only changes I will make are, add extended slide release, and night sights. The G48 carry load is the Underwood 124GR Gold dot, Plus P plus load @ 1300 FPS. While a hot load she shoots it well! The narrower grip is perfect for her hand and if she ever decides to get her carry permit it will be easy to carry and conceal. She will shooting it this weekend.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went with the CZ P10C.

I was able to handle one at a Bomgaar's store locally. I was not able to pull the trigger because it had a trigger lock on it, but we'll see how it is (I've seen only one trigger complaint)...CZ has a good rep and I'm willing to go on that. This gun has all the features I wanted: no safety levers or decockers, hi-capacity (15 rds), 9mm, plenty of grip & comes with three interchangeable grip inserts, not difficult at all to rack the slide, decent sights, its weight is a good compromise, and its size is about right for purse carry. Another great feature is the reversible mag release making the gun fully ambidextrous (she's left-handed).

Kentucky Gun is selling them for $317 right now, free shipping and no CC fees. This deal came along at the perfect time.

As to the wisdom of letting her choose something? She'd defer to me 100% just like she always has when it comes to firearms.

If she decides she doesn't like it we'll go the Desert Eagle route. laugh

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Revolver. grin

LOL.

Well, with all that said, some people just shouldn't own or try to carry complex guns, if all that's just too complicated........................

Did someone mention a revolver? Thought I heard an echo....................

MM

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.