Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
When looking back, probably 85% or more of my hunting has been with .30 caliber cup and core bullets, mostly flat based. Probably used more Sierras than anything else back then and still do on occasion. Sometime around the mid 70's I switched to 180 gr. in the .306 and stayed with the 150s for the .306 later going with the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core for the .308. On the rare times I used a .270 I found the 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings shot the best in my rifle. Took a few deer and one antelope with that one. I did try the Hornady and Speer 250 gr. bullets in the .35 Whelen but settled on the 225 gr. TSX for my elk hunts. I did take one elk with the 165 gr. Accubond with a 30-06 which worked quite well. I even used round nosed bullets at times.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
GameKings in 308’s. 150 grain

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I hold high regard for Hornady Interlock bullets in 257, 277 & .308 - I don’t have much experience with the other diameters of Hornady but would bet on performance being great.

Speer HotCor has also been exceptional for me in 130/150gr .277, 150/180/200gr .308, 200gr/.338. I have shot a few of the Speer boat tails but feel they are softer than I prefer.

I’ve shot many deer and several Elk over the years and have never been disappointed in the traditional cup & core bullets unless I drove them too fast - still have a working load with each bullet but have generally moved over to the Partition as the years go on - but really didn’t need to - just felt like changing things up. Now I’m tinkering with mono slugs but only in a few cartridges.

A looneys work is never done & I’m way behind

Used to be for the .270Win, 150 gr. Hot-Cor for load development and training, and then switch to the Partition for hunting.

Now, it's just the 150 gr. Grand Slam for both, and for my hunting, can't tell the difference.

They were ~ $0.22/pop.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but it's a relevant question if someone wants to answer.

170 grain FP at 30-30 velocities, HotCor or Interlock?

Same/Same or one edge out the other?

Eastern mountain whitetails, and, maybe a black bear if the chance arises. My long time stash of Pro Hunters is running LOW, and they're unobtainium at the moment.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
150 grain hot cors in 270. Sierra and hornady 180 grain roundnose in 308.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but it's a relevant question if someone wants to answer.

Eastern mountain whitetails, and, maybe a black bear if the chance arises. My long time stash of Pro Hunters is running LOW, and they're unobtainium at the moment.

I have 2 boxes, bullet #2010. Wasn't really looking to get rid of them, but I also am not using them currently. Not gonna give them away but if you're interested at a fair current price I wouldn't be mad about letting them go.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I hold high regard for Hornady Interlock bullets in 257, 277 & .308 - I don’t have much experience with the other diameters of Hornady but would bet on performance being great.

Speer HotCor has also been exceptional for me in 130/150gr .277, 150/180/200gr .308, 200gr/.338. I have shot a few of the Speer boat tails but feel they are softer than I prefer.

I’ve shot many deer and several Elk over the years and have never been disappointed in the traditional cup & core bullets unless I drove them too fast - still have a working load with each bullet but have generally moved over to the Partition as the years go on - but really didn’t need to - just felt like changing things up. Now I’m tinkering with mono slugs but only in a few cartridges.

A looneys work is never done & I’m way behind

Amen.. I haven't seen much I haven't wanted to at least try..

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

I have 2 boxes, bullet #2010. Wasn't really looking to get rid of them, but I also am not using them currently. Not gonna give them away but if you're interested at a fair current price I wouldn't be mad about letting them go.

I really appreciate the offer but shooter to shooter in these crazy times you'd probably best just keep 'em squirreled back. I did find out that they're available again on Sierras site, but the price....dayum they got proud of em.

I have 3 boxes of Interlocks squirreled back and the Hotcores are available from Speer. It's not going to hurt my feelings to check load data on those two and keep em in the library.

Again, thanks for the offer.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

I really appreciate the offer but shooter to shooter in these crazy times you'd probably best just keep 'em squirreled back. I did find out that they're available again on Sierras site, but the price....dayum they got proud of em.

I have 3 boxes of Interlocks squirreled back and the Hotcores are available from Speer. It's not going to hurt my feelings to check load data on those two and keep em in the library.

Again, thanks for the offer.

Yepper. No problem.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Flat base bullets allow more powder vs boat tails, a little trick I have used on my 308’s.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

A youngster where l hunt deer shot a 785 pound bruin with 170 grain FN Winchester super X factory ammo. So basically you really can’t improve the cartridge ballistics by handloading.

https://www.endeavornews.com/articles/big-bear-harvest/

Last edited by anothergun; 10/04/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used Sierra Speer and Hornady and never had a problem up to animals elk size. Also use nosler bt and partition but can't see much diffference.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interlocks, old Core Lokts, Hot Cores, in most cartridges.
I've been switching to Hot Cores in caliber and weights where Hornady discontinued same. I'm running out of my stash on CL's, but still have some for the 30-30 and 30-40. For my 35 caliber rifles and 375 rifles, I've mostly sold my premium bullets and am shooting mostly Interlocks and Hot Cores.
I've tried to buy some Sierra game bullets, but they are hard to find.
I've also been shooting TTSX's and am pleased with the accuracy and the lethalness of same.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I’ve used Hornady interlocks on everything from deer to brown bear. Great bullet and usually isn’t fussy about shooting well. These days I’ve been slowly switching to Speer Hot Cor. Used partitions as well in the past, but tough to justify the cost these days. If I’m concerned about penetration I use a TTSX or heavier cup and core.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TomM1
I’ve used Hornady interlocks on everything from deer to brown bear. Great bullet and usually isn’t fussy about shooting well. These days I’ve been slowly switching to Speer Hot Cor. Used partitions as well in the past, but tough to justify the cost these days. If I’m concerned about penetration I use a TTSX or heavier cup and core.

If the interlock serves you well then why are you looking any farther?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hot cors are a good bit cheaper these days. Speer bullets are also a bit more consistent. I got tired of buying interlocks for a pet load only to find out the cannelure had moved, or the ogive has been moved forward, etc. I still buy them occasionally when on sale if needed, but my first choice is hot cors.

Last edited by TomM1; 10/04/23.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by TomM1

If the interlock serves you well then why are you looking any farther?

Speer is cheaper than Hornady. i used to use Hornady Interlocks, but now i'm going to Speer Hot Cores, .323" 170gr semi spitzer and .308" 150gr FN. i bought factory seconds in .284" 150gr SP (Midway, i don't who made them). i bou ght !30gr Speer HP for my 30 Herrett (TC Contender 10" barrel) for hunting deer.

most of my bullets are cast and that is what i hunt with

side note, before i started handloading (30 +/- years ago), i used to use factory loads for my '06 (180gr Remington RN) and my 270 Win (150gr Remington RN)

Last edited by tdoyka; 10/04/23.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Interlocks have served me well but so has speer hotcor's. Been replacing and buying up more speer due to better price, around 10-20$ difference per box vs hornady up here in Canada. (depending on caliber)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Interlocks have served me well but so has speer hotcor's. Been replacing and buying up more speer due to better price, around 10-20$ difference per box vs hornady up here in Canada. (depending on caliber)

i wait for them to go on sale, then i buy 500-1000 bullets of each caliber.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fired hundreds of hot cores lots in 7mm 160 Spitzer for years threw the 280 rem, then Speer decided for a while to quit making them... But started making them again, lots of .257 100 gr. spitzerzs from the .257 roberts too. The .338 250gr. Horn spire point was an absolute killer from my .338 win mag. The horn 7mm 175 gr. Spire point wich is now extinct, from the 7 rem mag would just slap deer and elk down.

Nothing really goes wrong with the plane ol' cup n' core bullets when kept in the area of 2900 fps on down for game. In a word, reliable.

Last edited by boomwack; 10/05/23.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (16gage, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,130
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.