-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"No rust, mint condition action, numbers matching Oberndorf. Don’t see many of those anymore."

Where does it say "Oberndorf" on that action? I see the word "Berlin" Or is Oberndorf a part of Berlin?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oberndorf is a town in the Black Forest, and is where Mauser started and is headquartered. H&K is also there.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 22WRF
"No rust, mint condition action, numbers matching Oberndorf. Don’t see many of those anymore."

Where does it say "Oberndorf" on that action? I see the word "Berlin" Or is Oberndorf a part of Berlin?

The rifle posted isn’t mine. Mine says it on the left side of the action.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Photos Needed & "First Shirt Dressing Down."

Serial number too ("X" for last three digits place if desired). You don't know what you have and frankly I don't think anyone here can form a clear opinion. If you had a "minty" Original Oberndorf commercial sporter, it likely would be worth upward of $2K to $5K+ depending. A mainline military Oberndorf, low of $1K to high of $3K.

You don't have "minty" now if it's indeed been altered as described 'unless' easily restoring originality! The action is is most likely an "Intermediate" length if Oberndorf either sporting or military. Such length as distinctly designed for the 7mm Mauser (7x57). Desecration of a true "Collector rifle" if such, not only destroys collector value, but collaterally depreciated at best to quality "shooter". It also requires accounting whatever investment to create the vision desired. A double effective loss as value depreciation compounded! Subordinate to dream created'... Hello!

The objective result, another of a million generic 'ho hum' milsurp genre sporters! Conjuring "Oberndorf" name origins fiction of 'value added'... As "J.C. Higgins" name value added to a Sears vintage FN sporter!

Nowadays, common to Gun Forums, folks with "sporterized military mausers" speaking of moving heaven and earth as extreme measures to "restore to original"! In this Thread, ironically more reminiscent of fifties era 'range day' - evening beer call! Cluster, exchanging visons of the $30 K98 + $20 toward iron sights;; add wood saw sweat equity! Lightweight sporter viewed with owner pride as era-practical value-added!

Before calling out "Bubba" naming those fifties era guys - I was one, a teen.
Kindly consider folks saving nickels & dimes, decent K98 weight reduced and maybe better iron sights, our vision. Small bucks invested as living the dream. Here, Bubba reincarnated as value hazarded and inflation marking significant investment.

But having fun! Right!

Just my take.
Ever... Best!
John

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks! I’ll try and post some pictures up of it. I have no idea what’s been done to it other than having the 3 position safety on it. Serial number is 2010 if I recall. Serial number matches that of the action and the bottom metal. Didn’t see one on the bolt, haven’t looked for it. There is no rust that I see and the bluing is very good. Haven’t pulled it out of the stock. It does have a turned down bolt.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ed La Pour did a Springfield 1922 M2 sporter for me, work was top notch fairly priced and delivered on time. It is my favorite RF also the most accurate, more accurate than my Winchester 52 or Anschutz.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.