Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I can't remember the last time I saw RL-15,17,or 19 for sale in person or on the internet. Why?

RS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a few lb’s of RE15 lately, but would like to find 17 & 19 too.
Many reloading components seem difficult to find.
I’m wondering if the 7.62x51 ammo being sent to Ukraine is where the money is for the munitions manufacturers. It also seems a lot of governments are spending lots on military including ammo right now.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There’s a LGS I frequent here that has had two shipments of RL-16 in the past 4 weeks. They still have some of the original shipment on their shelf, as they want $66 a lb for it. Another gun store about 20 miles from me, said they can’t get the larger number RL powders at all. They said the distributor told them RL-33 is used in mortar shells for some European countries. Maybe they are blowing smoke up peoples asses, but that’s what I was told.
As far as other powders, back in the summer, I bought RL-19 from the same please that has RL-16 on the shelf for $10 a pound less than the RL-16 currently is. I haven’t seen any RL-15, 17, or 26 here in over 2.5 years now. I saw RL-26 in July of 2021, and wish I’d bought more. I’m starting to run low on RL-23 now as well, as my .270 WSM decided it really likes that powder.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not sure where RL15 is made but my bottle of RL17 says made in Switzerland. I think most of Alliant powders are made overseas these days and that could be part of the problem. It could be they're supplying military sources first and maybe some of the comments about the stability of the dollar may be part of the problem. Might even be local demand. I've only started using RL15 and 17 for a while in the 7x57 and .35 Whelen so still have a bit of a supply. As for the other grades of their powders I haven't a clue due to not using them. I may have to work with some different powders once my small supply of those powders is used up.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm so desperate for a couple pounds of 2400 that I would settle for some 2399 🤔

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
300_savage

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/alliant-2400/

8 pounders in stock. Natchez and Midway had singles fairly recently.

Last edited by zcm82; 10/06/23. Reason: clarity
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Used to have connections at an arsenal that could get a monthly allotment of RL powders. That allotment was shut down when covid happened and hasn't been granted back. Unobtainium until further notice. I'm guessing some of y'all are correct, military contracts are sucking the oxygen out of the room. For example, a year ago I talked to a Sierra bullets line worker who stated they were making 5M bullets a month, and had just dropped down from 7M. And not a single one for the domestic reloading market. All gooberment contract fulfillment.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
they can keep it for what they want for a pound of powder...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ive found RL15 and 17 several times over the last 6 months. Ive only seen RL26 once, at Powder Valley, and they wanted 80/lb for it after shipping so I passed it up.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
With their cost & limited availability, I've found good substitutes for most all of them. Still working on finding a RL26 substitute without much joy.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I can't remember the last time I saw RL-15,17,or 19 for sale in person or on the internet. Why?

RS

When I seen them, they are very expensive too. The reason I buy ramshot and other powders now. Here's a very small LGS where I live:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No one is buying that schidt because it's $65/pound. F them, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by zcm82
300_savage

https://www.powdervalley.com/product/alliant-2400/

8 pounders in stock. Natchez and Midway had singles fairly recently.
Thanks, zcm

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know where there ae three lbs. of Older stock, unopened reloader 25 for 30.00 a pound. It came into my friends gunshop from an older gentleman whose shooting days sadly are over.
If anyone is interested PM me and I'll put you in touch.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Not sure where RL15 is made but my bottle of RL17 says made in Switzerland. I think most of Alliant powders are made overseas these days and that could be part of the problem. It could be they're supplying military sources first and maybe some of the comments about the stability of the dollar may be part of the problem. Might even be local demand. I've only started using RL15 and 17 for a while in the 7x57 and .35 Whelen so still have a bit of a supply. As for the other grades of their powders I haven't a clue due to not using them. I may have to work with some different powders once my small supply of those powders is used up.
PJ
I got a older bottle of RE19 it says Radford Virginia

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
It's definitely cheaper to just shoot a 308 in factory fodder.
Wally world has plenty and my rifle likes it.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Since the china flu BS, Aliant powders have gone from scarce to Unobtanium to astronomical prices if you find them.

Saw the first new bottles of R16 on the shelves in a couple years at my LGS a couple weeks ago.

$70/lb. Fugg no.

None of the powders I want like R23 or R26.

I've stopped any load development with Aliant powders because I don't think I can replenish my current supply. I will use what I have for my current loads.

Now that the price of Hodgdon powders has risen so much it's about the same price as Vihtavuori powder. Just bought an 8 lb jug of N560 and have several pounds of N565. Will be using more of their fine powders for sure and I'm also looking at Ramshot powders.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Since the china flu BS, Aliant powders have gone from scarce to Unobtanium to astronomical prices if you find them.
This is sad but true and has been my experience. In the past few months I've stumbled on a pound here or there of different Alliant powders I use, including 26 and grabbed a pound only to see the price and put it back. I've already found reasonable substitutes for a variety of different RLs that I used to use. At $70+ per pound, I don't see myself going back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got more rifle powder than my LR primers can ignite . . .

RL-19 is the only Alliant powder I've seen in the past two years - $300 for 5#

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Been trying to score some of their new wonder powder RL15.5 for a couple of years now. The thrill is gone. [bleep]. After downloading the 2023 Alliant loading data last night, I see there's also a RL11 that's not available. Imagine that?

Alliant has been making small drops from time to time since the koof thing started. I picked up some RL23 last year before the prices got too high. There was some 26 in that drop too... for about 7 minutes. With the new prices & poor availability I've moved on to other powders with at least equal or sometimes better results. Still searching for a 26 substitute. Not sure if N565 will do it. It's kinda bulky.

Wondering if Alliant is included in the sale of Vista's ammo companies to that Czech guy? Maybe availability & price will get better when there aren't any share holders to take care of before the customers.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.