Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My cat died in April. After 16 years of coming home to her I'm kind of lost still. I haven't picked out or even looked for another pet. She was my pet

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never a good time to die and it always hurts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very sorry. Had a dog put down last week so my empathy is at 11.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Whenever it is it's one of the worst days.

!6 years, she's lucky you found her.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a cat show up at our place here in the country. It took to my late wife and was love at first sight for the two of them. We have had him 13 years and since he was grown when he was dropped off there is no way of telling how old he was. He was a great kitty and a good mouser. He started acting weird about a month ago. He wasn't eating much and he hated to come inside. I knew something was wrong and was going to take him in and have him put down. He has always hated the vet's office. I decided to not take him in, to a place he hated, and have him put down. I gave him lots of love and extra snacks. He didn't seem like he was in any pain. Monday night he refused to come in so I left him out with the two big dogs. The next morning he was nowhere to be found. I think he knew he was dying and just walked off to die. I have looked for him to no avail. I was going to bury him. I guess now he has crossed the rainbow bridge and is with his best buddy, my late wife.

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never a good time for a pet to pass. The last of my friends have died. I have no family left as they have passed or left. The only one in my life is my 2 cats, a brother and sister. I suspect that when they pass that will break me. I’m 48 now and can count on one hand how many good years I’ve had. Just tired and worn out now.

Last edited by eric1186; 10/06/23.
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Just made the phone call to the vet to put our 15 year old Aussie down. Wife is disabled and this has been her helpmate. Nothing cures the pain of losing your best friend.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Had a beautiful black lab who was 10. I was TDY and she up and died with my wife and son at home. There was no indication she was I’ll. Went outside and died underneath some shrubs. Turns out she was terminal with cancer. Truly a sad day.

S
shootem Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Man, didn’t think there would be this many rough tough 24hcf type guys that agreed with me. Our son chimed in today with my wife that old Zoe was actually 20 years old. He remembers waaaay better than me. Laid her to rest today in a favorite spot knowing that the body she left behind is just a way of remembering her. Spoke a fair sermon if I do say so myself. Then shed a few tears for the beast and carried on.

Can’t prove it but I’m thinking the kind of love we have for pets and them for us can be a learning tool God gives us to understand His love for us. Ill leave that here to be chewed on. What a true mystery life is. It enters the body on His command leading to a whole world of possibilities for that combination of flesh and spirit. Then at the appointed time it leaves the body and all the worldly relationships that have been established. The human spirit of believers I’m sure leaves to spend eternity in heaven with our creator. As Jesus said “In my Father’s house there are many mansions. If it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you and if I go to prepare a place for you I will come again to receive you unto myself that where I am you will be also.”

But what of our animals? Does the devotion they show us carry them across the barrier between realities where we may be reunited? Certainly many have earned that reward through their service to us. But does it fit with God’s plan? Personal opinion not backed by scripture is that God may include them in His reward for the faithful and as a reward for the animal for its devotion to God’s creation.

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We lost a cat about five weeks ago. I don't think cats are, as a rule, anywhere near as neat a pet as a dog is, but this one was a real character. The first year we had him he'd be waiting by the front door when I got home and would get really bent out of shape and start ripping around the house like a tiger if I didn't give him attention right away. Then there was the night I was undressing for my shower while the cat (Rudy) was on the bed...when I bent over to slide my underwear off he planted a little lovebite directly on my a$$, which caused the ol 'lady to loose her cookies. He would greet us anytime we walked into a room where he was, and was always receptive to attention. He had all his claws but never ever used them as weapons even while rough housing. He was one really cool cat. When his health declined he was not nearly engaging and we knew his time was about done and it was torture watching him deteriorate.

He was a gorgeous creature and as affectionate as any.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Your cat looks remarkably like one we had that lived to be documented 17 yo. When daughter and son were elementary age he would play ambush with them. Like feinting toward them then disappear up the stairs or into another room. Of course they would follow into his trap. I’ve seen him 2 feet off the floor all four paws waving in their face before hitting the floor with the three of them taking off in three different directions screaming & laughing all at once.

Every kid should have a cat at least once growing up.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
One more little cat tale. When the white Siamese looking cat we had was less than a year old he was an unafraid explorer. Heard the kids one day yelling for Dad. Got outside where they were yelling and pointing and there was TacTac the Attack Cat 20 feet up a pine sapling and climbing. It was obviously a no win for the cat because he was nearing the top where the limbs would not support his weight. Rapid mental calculation and I told the chirren to get the landing net out of our boat and quick. Back to me they came and by now joined by Mom. So there I am, net in hand when TacTac tapped out. Went out on a spaghetti limb and it broke.

And the cat came a-tumbling down. But old deadeye me played the net like boating a trophy of a lifetime. To my surprise I caught him in free fall nothing but net. Cat said yeah I do this all the time. Looked at me like “get me out, this is embarrassing.” Old TacTac met his end on my lap when the kids and Mom visited relatives. How can you not be affected by that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rudy made it to within days of 17. He was a Ragdoll...they're definitely unique and can be outstanding pets. The wife had a Siamese she named Pooky when we married...he lived to be 21. The Siamese is another great breed having outstanding personality traits. My sister had a Siamese that would fetch a tinfoil ball about the size of a golfball and bring it back to you for another go at it all day long, but he would not tolerate "oh-what-a-cute-kitty" treatment...it flat pissed him off for some reason and he'd let you know (that trait earned him a name change from "Benjamin" to "Benja-meanie," in a joking kind of way). One of my aunts had a Siamese that lived to be about 23, and what was amazing was that cat spent about half her life outdoors. Outdoor cats don't usually last so long.

Cats vary a great deal as far as personality goes. I've known cats that were as useless as a hamster and some that were outstanding companions. I can see why guys who've only been around alley cats and barn cats might think they all suck, but they're just not all the same by a longshot. Get the right one and you'll have a great little companion.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not our pet, but about 10 years ago, our neighbor's teenage son tragically died of an asthma attack, and was to be buried in Pennsylvania.

His mother asked my wife to take care of her cats while she was away, one of which was diabetic and needed a daily insulin shot.

She gave my wife very brief instruction on dosage and how to administer the shot. Very brief. My wife had never done such a thing in her life.

Well, by day #2 the cat was dead!
Wife felt terrible about having to break the news to Wendy upon her return.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Is there a good time

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.