Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18822574 10/06/23
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Damn if I didn't finally buy a springfield M1A Tanker! What a beast. Nice peep and tritium front blade. However, (were never satisfied) I have a scope mount on the way (not scout scope). I'll plink as far as I can with it. Also, I'll deer hunt with a bit. Of course SHTF what a great rifle. I'm looking for scope suggestions. I like a simple reticle. Easy dialing or hold over at the most. I really appreciate your opinions and experiences here.

Semper Fi

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a National Match M1A with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44. Does all I want or am able to do with it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had several M1A's over the years and scoped all of them. Usually in the 3-9x or 3.5-10x class, though have used a 1.5x4.5x LPV and a 2-7x scout scope on a tanker (hated the scout scope arrangement).

I have a 30mm 3-9x40 Burris on my current M1A, but have been using the SWFA 3-9x42 and Athlon Helos 2-10x42 on the rifles I shoot the most. If starting over, the M1A would likely get one of those.

A cheek riser is pretty much a must have item for a scoped M1A. I went without for years but wouldn't do that again.

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir. Late in my years, I've found a cheek riser is the cats meow. I wish I used them earlier.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
MGunns, Lots of choices to be had. I have 2 customs. One with a 16" barrel and the other with a match barrel. On the carbine I have a Z6 Swaroveski 1x6 illumnated which in my opinion is the perfect scope for that rifle for me, but there a lot of low power variable scope options to choose from. The match rifle has a Nightforce, the glass is pretty good but the ability to dial with repeatable accuracy on a super-solid foundation makes it the right choice for this rifle and its use. The Nightforce glass is not quite in the same league as my Schmidt & Benders or Swaro Z6's but for target shooting or if something hit the fan, it is the right scope for that rifle.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I had a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint on my 18” Scout

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://www.hopcousa.com/
I was shooting my M1a scout/squad yesterday, and the older I get the less useful I find open sights. My eyes have a tough time even in low light. On top of that, most of my rifle shooting in the past 30 years has been with an optic. This Hopco mount replaces the rear sight with a reflex sight. I like this mostly for the fact that cheek weld should be good without adding a riser.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All really depends with what your end vision is for her.

Sounds like a good candidate for a 1-6x or 2-7. Especially if hunting is in the cards. I wouldn't want to over glass her, no sense making an already heavy girl chunkier.

For a shtf rifle, it'd be hard to beat a Trijicon Acog w/ 7.62 reticle. I'd also look at dropping her into a GI fiberglass stock to shed some weight while retaining that high level of old school toughness.

My 14 that I carried for 2 years in the stan was setup with a Sage ebr chassis and had a Leupold MK4 fixed 10x on it and I used to shoot out to and over 1k with that setup regularly. Same setup earned me Top Gun at long range marksman shoot which led to sniper school.

My personal short barrel M1a started as an 18" scout is currently sitting in a VLTOR stock with a 2.5-10x on it and is mostly used for hunting and range blasting. My TRW GI gun is pretty much like she came off the rack and still wears irons.

Anyway you slice it you have a beautiful do-all rifle. Be sure to post up some pics!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have her ready for WV rifle season next month. I really have an itch to take a deer with it.

Semper Fi

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Go full Randy Shugart and find an aimpoint 5000.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I were to scope an M1A, I would have Jimmy Mitchell mill the receiver for a pic rail. He's shown me a couple he's done and seems like a much better solution than the typical M1A mounts. I've got an older SWFA 1-6 illuminated. Would probably go that route or even an SWFA 6x.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have an M21 with a March 8 --80 56mm on it.

it is nice to be able to see as far as the rifle will shoot.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Original Leatherwood ART II
True to fit, form & function.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All the scope I would suggest and have used are no longer made.

2-7 Nikon (maybe Monarch) I have 2 and they are amazing.
For higher mag, Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
If I were to scope an M1A, I would have Jimmy Mitchell mill the receiver for a pic rail. He's shown me a couple he's done and seems like a much better solution than the typical M1A mounts. I've got an older SWFA 1-6 illuminated. Would probably go that route or even an SWFA 6x.

That would be a good way to go since the scope mounting system for the standard M1A is bulky and leaves a lot to be desired.imho. Milled bases are the way to go but I used the Sadlak mount. I waited close to a year since they prioritized sending them over to Iraq and Afghanistan at the time.

I like the M1A but I decided to standardize around the AR platforms in both 7.62 and 5.56, etc. The AR platform is more familiar to me and extremely accurate for its intended purposes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by miguel
https://www.hopcousa.com/
I was shooting my M1a scout/squad yesterday, and the older I get the less useful I find open sights. My eyes have a tough time even in low light. On top of that, most of my rifle shooting in the past 30 years has been with an optic. This Hopco mount replaces the rear sight with a reflex sight. I like this mostly for the fact that cheek weld should be good without adding a riser.

Very interesting. Thanks. Gotta check these out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 73 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,099
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.