Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by pointer
Is Vortex still the only company that warranties the electronics for more than a couple years?

Athlon does too
Thank you for that information!!

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Leica!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had the Kilo 2000 and now own a Kilo 3K and a Kilo 5K. The Kilo 5K (chassis) is built very much like the Kilo 2000 was built. The Kilo 3K feels cheaply made compared to the Kilo 2000. I'm leery on Sigs as they have a 5 year warranty and they tend to go out at that time....Display fades on them.

Maven would be who I would look at if buying again.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Might be faulty logic, but most of the newer vortex razor stuff has been pretty solid I’ve owned. 1-6hd gen 2e, UHD 18x56 bino’s have been exceptional money value far as I can tell..

Went with the razor 4000’s. They seemed twice as good build wise as say the Leopold tdr stuff or the lower price point vipers. Proof will be in the field ranging. If I get time I’ll report back after this weeks elk hunt.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Kahles Helia 7x25.

It’s slightly over your budget at $599 but I love mine. The glass is top notch, build quality seems bulletproof, the OLED display is bright and clear, battery life is solid, and while I've never tested its stated 2km max range I’ve ranged out to 1km accurately and quickly, which is more than enough for me. Good luck with your purchase. Lots of good rangefinders out there these days.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Might be faulty logic, but most of the newer vortex razor stuff has been pretty solid I’ve owned. 1-6hd gen 2e, UHD 18x56 bino’s have been exceptional money value far as I can tell..

Went with the razor 4000’s. They seemed twice as good build wise as say the Leopold tdr stuff or the lower price point vipers. Proof will be in the field ranging. If I get time I’ll report back after this weeks elk hunt.

I agree with virtually everything you are saying, but let me explain...

The new 3000 Viper is a very new build... the Razor 4000 is not. They were not ready to update the 4000 just because the new Viper was right there.

Stuff changes fast, very fast, in the LRF World...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just grabbed the maven after my kilo 2k died. I have the leica 3200.com binos and aside from coms with my kestrel ....the little maven us amazing.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Really enjoying the Maven rf1. Works great

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
When ( or if) my 20 year old Leica takes a crap I will call Doug at Cameraland and order a new Leica CFR 2400r. Pretty close to the $500 ish price point. I cant seem to wreck that thing so I may never get a chance to have a new one. I sort of expected I would need one by now.

I like my Leica 2400 as well. Not sure what they are selling for now, but when I bought mine, it was less than $500.
I just sent my 1200 to Leica. It died after 12-15 yrs.

They offered me a 2400-R for $249, shipped. I gave them the credit card info.

They retail now for around $550.

That's not a bad price for that unit. I got full value and use out of my 1200. Look forward to getting the new 2400-R.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just for follow up, my maven rf1 has performed perfectly. Was able to range a rock face out to 3600yds. Elk out to 800. The forest/field mode is pretty sweet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
get a used leica, or any leica that fits your budget. thank me later

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by devnull
I'm leery on Sigs as they have a 5 year warranty and they tend to go out at that time....Display fades on them.

I've owned 3 LRFs, all different brands. The 3rd was a Kilo 2000, and was the shortest lived. Went to use it the last time and it was dead. Figured battery. Changed that, still dead, nothing. Cleaned the contacts, shook it a little, swore at it, still dead.

Called CS to find out the protocol for warranty returns and the girl asked for the serial number. Gave it to her, clickity click and she said that warranty ran out last year. I said no ma'am I've only had it for 4 years, I have the receipt in my hand, there's 11 months left.

She said we start our warranty on the date of manufacture on electro-optics, yours was made on such and such date.

I said so you're telling me my rangefinder sat sealed in a box somewhere like a warehouse for a year burning off warranty time and now I get screwed on it?

She said we can give you 40 percent off a new model.

I laughed and said ah no thanks I'll be looking at other brands to replace this one.

So, if you want SIG, check the manufacture date before paying for it. No wonder I got a screaming deal on that one, somebody up the food chain knew all about it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My experience with my SIG 2000 was exactly the same as Feral American's.

SIG's discount on a new model was a joke when numerous retailers had an everyday price that was cheaper than SIG's online price with the discount.

I ordered an Athlon rangefinder from Cameraland. It's worked great so far and has a lifetime warranty if anything ever does go wrong with it.

After my experience with my Kilo rangefinder, SIG won't be getting any more of my business in the future.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I’m done with sig rangefinders

Me and a mate both had the same issues. No warranty but here’s a. Discount code. Discount code is general on sale pricing at most retailers.

Plus their glass still sucks.

Happy with this vortex razor 4000.. I don’t hunt critters past 600 so analog drop data on stock works fine..

Glass is good. I lent out my Binos on a morning hunt and was able to use it a a monocle no sweat and glassed up mule deer at 800 bedded

Ranges plenty fast. And my aiming point is on the bottom of ⭕️ so ez to get ranges in tricky spots.

Can’t say a Leica wouldn’t be better, but besides the 500$ I’m happy. It’s probably a 350$ rig

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
When ( or if) my 20 year old Leica takes a crap I will call Doug at Cameraland and order a new Leica CFR 2400r. Pretty close to the $500 ish price point. I cant seem to wreck that thing so I may never get a chance to have a new one. I sort of expected I would need one by now.

I like my Leica 2400 as well. Not sure what they are selling for now, but when I bought mine, it was less than $500.
I just sent my 1200 to Leica. It died after 12-15 yrs.

They offered me a 2400-R for $249, shipped. I gave them the credit card info.

They retail now for around $550.

That's not a bad price for that unit. I got full value and use out of my 1200. Look forward to getting the new 2400-R.

DF

Damn DF, you scored on that one. You'll love the glass on that 2400.. They range fast too, and work great in low light.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
I’m done with sig rangefinders

Me and a mate both had the same issues. No warranty but here’s a. Discount code. Discount code is general on sale pricing at most retailers.

Plus their glass still sucks.

Happy with this vortex razor 4000.. I don’t hunt critters past 600 so analog drop data on stock works fine..

Glass is good. I lent out my Binos on a morning hunt and was able to use it a a monocle no sweat and glassed up mule deer at 800 bedded

Ranges plenty fast. And my aiming point is on the bottom of ⭕️ so ez to get ranges in tricky spots.

Can’t say a Leica wouldn’t be better, but besides the 500$ I’m happy. It’s probably a 350$ rig

The great thing about Vortex is the warranty. My buddy loves them. He had to send his Razor 5000HD's in because his kid dropped them on the eyepieces. Broke both of them and that was from a height of about 1'. The kid is only 2 or 3 years old. He also just sent in a newer razor (I believe) rifle scope. He somehow lost the piece inside that controls the zero stop. They are quick to send stuff back and fix stuff no questions asked.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vortex over Athlon
I’m following this thread as I’m thinking of snagging one for my boy for Christmas present.
Just waiting on some good sales

Last edited by Dre; 10/20/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The great thing about Vortex is the warranty.

We have quite a few vortex scopes here between my sons and I. Vipers and on up. One son has a Fury 10X LRF bino, which I REALLY LIKE, and the other got a Ranger 1800 for Chistmas two years ago. With all that I've used their warranty exactly once, and was TOTALLY not their fault.

My group had about 7 rifles lined up on the ground sitting on bipods at a match. This joker decided to step through them instead of walking around the pile. He missed every one of them, except mine. Caught his toe and tipped my ele turret over on a rock and dented it where it wouldn't turn.

The ONLY reason they didn't replace the scope was because I'd had it cerekoted. But they fixed it and had it back to me inside 6 days from the day I shipped it, and one of my sons is still using it on a deer rifle.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American
The great thing about Vortex is the warranty.

We have quite a few vortex scopes here between my sons and I. Vipers and on up. One son has a Fury 10X LRF bino, which I REALLY LIKE, and the other got a Ranger 1800 for Chistmas two years ago. With all that I've used their warranty exactly once, and was TOTALLY not their fault.

My group had about 7 rifles lined up on the ground sitting on bipods at a match. This joker decided to step through them instead of walking around the pile. He missed every one of them, except mine. Caught his toe and tipped my ele turret over on a rock and dented it where it wouldn't turn.

The ONLY reason they didn't replace the scope was because I'd had it cerekoted. But they fixed it and had it back to me inside 6 days from the day I shipped it, and one of my sons is still using it on a deer rifle.

That's pretty good. I was really surprised when my buddy told me he had his rifle scope back in less than 2 weeks. I sent in a Zeiss for repair, they said they could not repair it but would replace it. 6 months later they finally had one in the mail to me.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,528
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.