Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Red_spruce
If I saw that tag in my local shop I would not be able to leave empty handed. There’s a 308 on GB bid up to 855 with several days to go but you know that’s not a reflection of what can be found with some searching.

I pulled mine out of the safe and its SN is 678xxx so probably made same year as the one you saw. Come to think of it I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a 5 digit compact. Anyone know when Winchester started selling the compact?

Well, I didn't leave empty handed. I left with a like new Zeiss 3-9 with RZ6 reticle for less than $200.00 and a couple bricks of target 22lr ammo. I may have to go back in the morning though. Oh, I saw a few pre 64's too. Shooters for about $750.00 . Nothing that really spoke to me though. If they would have been fwt, I may have bought one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

7mm Rem Mag with BOSS

Medics bury their mistakes..
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I know where there is one just like it in 7-08 priced about $850. Nice little rifle.

Worth $599 all day long.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bought and paid for. Seemed like a no brainer at that price. I think it’s going to be a great little rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on the find. Winchester model 70 and a 243 to boot, I'm in.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I really like these Classic Compact Models! My singular one in 7mm 08, pix below. As a 7mm fan, fitting well with my 7mm Rem Mags and of course 7mm Mausers! Bought it at a gun show well over a decade ago, $350 OTD Talley bases & loading dies that looked new in their container. Visually, I don't like the recoil pad & unnecessary to me for primary purpose. Yet, functionally to extend a short butt stock - I suppose heralding the term "Compact"- extending 'pull' to a tolerable 13.5"!
It's a great rifle!

Congrats to O/P on a nice find & price!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R427-2.jpg (30.83 KB, 299 downloads)
R427-3U.jpg (25.5 KB, 299 downloads)
R427-11U.jpg (28.74 KB, 298 downloads)
R427-5.jpg (12.91 KB, 298 downloads)
R427-9U.jpg (25.29 KB, 298 downloads)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
I really like these Classic Compact Models! My singular one in 7mm 08, pix below. As a 7mm fan, fitting well with my 7mm Rem Mags and of course 7mm Mausers! Bought it at a gun show well over a decade ago, $350 OTD Talley bases & loading dies that looked new in their container. Visually, I don't like the recoil pad & unnecessary to me for primary purpose. Yet, functionally to extend a short butt stock - I suppose heralding the term "Compact"- extending 'pull' to a tolerable 13.5"!
It's a great rifle!

Best!
John

That's a very nice rifle John. I think you are correct on the butt pad. An original should likely be a thin red one, such as what's on the rifle I just bought. As I looked at it this morning, I don't think I'll do anything to this stock and leave the original pad on. However, I will put it in the new SA stock I found on ebay a while back for $107.00. I'll keep you guys posted on that project. Should be a good one. Glass bedding and a range report will be in there, along with the infamous pictures you guys love to hate...ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dinny
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

7mm Rem Mag with BOSS

Looks like the SM (synthetic matte) I picked up last year for $500.00. Nice rifles. I don't know if I've ever seen a SM with the BOSS though. Generally the BOSS reduces value as well.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It's a great rifle!

Best!
John

That's a very nice rifle John. I think you are correct on the butt pad. An original should likely be a thin red one, such as what's on the rifle I just bought. As I looked at it this morning, I don't think I'll do anything to this stock and leave the original pad on. However, I will put it in the new SA stock I found on ebay a while back for $107.00. I'll keep you guys posted on that project. Should be a good one. Glass bedding and a range report will be in there, along with the infamous pictures you guys love to hate...ha ha..

The compact models have shallower mag box and shorter trigger as far as I know. That's why they hold one less in the magazine. I don't expect a standard stock will fit, at least without some parts swapping.

Nice rifle, thought hard about one of those back when they were still being made. The short stock was the deal breaker for me.

Last edited by MikeS; 10/06/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I agree, it's a buyers market right now. I should just stay out of the gunshops right now, as some prices are too good. You guys ready to see the price tag?

Ok, here goes:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You stole that 😂👍👍👍👍👍

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
It's a great rifle!

Best!
John

The compact models have shallower mag box and shorter trigger as far as I know. That's why they hold one less in the magazine. I don't expect a standard stock will fit, at least without some parts swapping.

Nice rifle, thought hard about one of those back when they were still being made. The short stock was the deal breaker for me.

Thanks Mike. We will see. Hopefully not, but I have an extra trigger and a mag box is cheap. I'll let you guys know if that is the case.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I agree, it's a buyers market right now. I should just stay out of the gunshops right now, as some prices are too good. You guys ready to see the price tag?

Ok, here goes:
You stole that 😂👍👍👍👍👍

Oh man. For some reason I always get accused of that!!! ha ha.. I'll get a full picture for you guys, when I get home. The stock is actually pretty nice. Bluing is perfect, muzzle wear is non existent, lands and rifling are very sharp. I'm thinking it should at least shoot moa (for 5 shots). We will see though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Yes, that one would definitely have come home with me - congrats on that!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the replies guys. I think when an unusual or more rare one comes along and for a good price, I like to snag them. This one I walked away from for less than a day. Luckily another Winchester guy did not come along and see it.

I've been wanting to find a good 243 for the last year, and I think this one will work out very well. For both myself and my girlfriend. It will be easy enough to swap stocks or replace a recoil pad, if need be. And then later down the road, return it back to 100% original, sans the glass bedding it will get. Which is a huge improvement over the factory hot glue bedding we've all seen. We'll see how this one works out and how it shoots. I'll keep you guys posted...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a nice find. I like those early Model 70 Classics.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I been in search for a compact for daughter of mine is the LOP usable once she grows into it?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Very good deal. You come across quite a few. We’re going to start follow you around.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Earlybrd, your daughters fit once she is grown will depend on her eventual stature. As others have stated the biggest impact to “fit” for the classics is the LOP which I believe is 12.75. From what I understand ideal LOP is mostly tied to stature but also personal preference. I seem to have been blessed with a pretty wide range of acceptible LOP. I’ve not noticed any significant impact from 12.5 to 14 on my rifles ( I’m 6’ with abnormally long arms.) but that is for hunting and general shooting and not long range accuracy competitions. I’m sure others will have much better info than I.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I been in search for a compact for daughter of mine is the LOP usable once she grows into it?

earlybrd, the LOP on this compact model measures 13" on the nose. The rifle fits my girlfriend very well. I think how one of these would fit your daughter depends on what her LOP requirements are going to be. I do know that if I added a red Pachmayr, the LOP will be around 13.5", and that would fit me just fine. I may even do that and let the girlfriend shoot it with a little better recoil pad, to help reduce recoil. We will see though.

Here are some updated pics of the rifle:

This rifle is exceptionally clean. Not any scratches in the stock and the floor plate and trigger guard look like new. I don't think this thing has been fired much at all. Tomorrow I'm going to pull it out of the stock and check the bedding, and probably adjust the trigger.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
bsa, That is a gorgeous specimen. My old preferred style all the way! Nice thanks for sharing.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,590
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.