Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Been browsing around the muzzleloaders.com website this morning. It’s interesting that a lot of the lower priced stuff is getting a higher star rating with more reviews, than the stuff that’s $500-$1000. Particularly I was looking at the CVA Accura MX and several negative reviews. However, the TC impact and CVA wolf have lots of five star reviews and a higher by far average rating.

I just looked at that MR-X you mentioned. That’s a new one for me, but looks good. The reviews indicate that most are well satisfied with theirs, but a couple have had issues, so QC may be lacking, meaning you might get a dud now and then.

I have seen the same gun but as a .444 Marlin in person and was favorably impressed.

Better start looking for BH209 now if that’s the propellant you plan to use. It disappears fast, so be prepared to use an alternative.

That MR-X (as well as LR-X) is exactly what I was looking at but I saw the same thing you’re mentioning with potential quality control issues. But also there seems to be a lot of people with positive reviews.

Pappy, as far as BH209 do you have a recommended substitute?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was offered a chance to hunt MZ cow elk in NM several years ago. I acquired a Rem 700 ultimate muzzleloader. Went with Remington packaged 250 gr bullet made by Barnes with the provided sabot and used 777 pellets. Used a HD SWFA 1-6 illuminated scope to take a cow at 65 yds.

Second season I followed the lead of two friends with the same rifle. Like them I installed the Arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 which simplified loading by allowing multiple firings without the cleaning the 777 pellets required. Switched to a 300 gr Thor Hammer. Took the second cow at 280 using a SWFA HD 5-20 x 50 FFP illuminated scope.

Last season I again switched to a different bullet, the 320 gr fury universal. Higher BC than the Thor and easier to push down the bore. The cow was taken at 225 yds with no turret adjustment necessary as POI at 100 was 3.5" Using 110 gr of 209 yields 2196 fps. Bullet made the snow behind the elk fly causing my spotter to remark I missed, then the twack noise of the bullet came back.

Also shot a coues wt buck at 200 yds last year.

The three of us all use the fury bullet with 209 and have taken 5 elk, several deer and a few javelina with this combination.

fury bullet: https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/black-powder-muzzle-loader-bullets/50-universal-fit/

Last edited by Azshooter; 08/27/23.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I was offered a chance to hunt MZ cow elk in NM several years ago. I acquired a Rem 700 ultimate muzzleloader. Went with Remington packaged 250 gr bullet made by Barnes with the provided sabot and used 777 pellets. Used a HD SWFA 1-6 illuminated scope to take a cow at 65 yds.

Second season I followed the lead of two friends with the same rifle. Like them I installed the Arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 which simplified loading by allowing multiple firings without the cleaning the 777 pellets required. Switched to a 300 gr Thor Hammer. Took the second cow at 280 using a SWFA HD 5-20 x 50 FFP illuminated scope.

Last season I again switched to a different bullet, the 320 gr fury universal. Higher BC than the Thor and easier to push down the bore. The cow was taken at 225 yds with no turret adjustment necessary as POI at 100 was 3.5" Using 110 gr of 209 yields 2196 fps. Bullet made the snow behind the elk fly causing my spotter to remark I missed, then the twack noise of the bullet came back.

Also shot a coues wt buck at 200 yds last year.

The three of us all use the fury bullet with 209 and have taken 5 elk, several deer and a few javelina with this combination.

fury bullet: https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/black-powder-muzzle-loader-bullets/50-universal-fit/

Thanks for sharing this I really enjoyed reading your progression.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
777 gives good velocity and power. I have had some go bad, even in a sealed container, but that was a long time back. The crud ring issue is easy to control with brushing or patching out. There are others using the same formulation, and in pellet form, but I’ve only used 777 pellets while sighting in a rifle for my son.

Also, be aware that some rifles have different breech plugs for various propellants and different forms. Not a big deal, but you need to verify before you shoot.

There’s also good ol’ real black powder, cheap, easy to light and accurate; it only needs a bit more attention in cleaning, and in some areas it can be hard to find.

I have all three on hand, and use them as necessary, or as the mood strikes.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just took delivery of a Woodman Arms rifle. I have had a few ML's and this is supposed to be a bad SOB. I do like their fire controls and SS construction covered with black Nitride.

Give them a look.

I got mine with a 45 caliber Brux with the express intent to shoot full bore bullets, and either BH209 or smokeless.

https://woodmanarms.com/

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Aviator
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Aviator
Look at Woodman rifles.

Those look good, and very handy, though I’m skeptical of their claim you never need to clean them.

What’s the wait time these days. Was considerable last time I checked.

Not for sure on the wait time

I ordered 1/27/2023 and just got mine, so roughly I waited 8 months. Not sure what the wait is for a normal 50 caliber though. I think they were waiting on the Brux barrel more so than anything else.

Pappy, I think what they mean by not having to clean is they're SS and Nitride coated, so if you use something like BH209 or smokeless, it could take awhile before needing a cleaning. Just my guess though.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
I just took delivery of a Woodman Arms rifle. I have had a few ML's and this is supposed to be a bad SOB. I do like their fire controls and SS construction covered with black Nitride.

Give them a look.

I got mine with a 45 caliber Brux with the express intent to shoot full bore bullets, and either BH209 or smokeless.

Says 20 weeks on the website. I’m definitely interested in this Muzzleloader. Beretz have you posted any sort of a review or update? I would love to hear how it has performed for you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Give them a look.

Says 20 weeks on the website. I’m definitely interested in this Muzzleloader. Beretz have you posted any sort of a review or update? I would love to hear how it has performed for you.

Just got it the other day and it'll be Friday at the earliest before I can crack the parcel!

Will do a decent work up on it though.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Give them a look.

Just got it the other day and it'll be Friday at the earliest before I can crack the parcel!

Will do a decent work up on it though.

Awesome!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I bought an Accura V2 a few years ago and have killed a number of animals with it...actually just used it through a couple rifle seasons as I had moved my scope over from my rifle. I bought the stainless with melonite treatment since I hunt in the rain often here in FL, and my first hunt was going to be on an offshore island filled with marshes...turned out to be the correct choice since all the uncoated metal on the gun (sling swivels, ram rod loops, etc.) rusted all to hell while the gun was perfect.

That was after using it as a walking stick across thigh-high salt water on a heavy packout smile

The Optima is the same gun but without the Bergara barrel, although they also seem to shoot excellent. My buddy has a wolf and he likes it for what it is.

That Woodman arms rifle liked above looks really nice too!

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
As I type, I have 3 muzzle loaders in the rack. A T/C Omega, Knight disc rifle and an Austin & Halleck. All 3 are 50 cal. My Omega was around $200 from Walmart when T/C first released them to the public. I have killed a truck load of deer with that rifle. I bought the Knight at a gun shop off season. They all but paid me to take it. Have yet to bloody it but it does shoot extremely well. Maybe I can harvest something with it this year. The A&H, haven't even fired a shot from it yet but see no reason why it shouldn't shoot good. Being new to BP there are lots of options. Just because you spend a ton of money won't make it a long range rifle.

If I was new and had nothing, I'd look long and hard at the Knight disc rifle in the classified. The one with the laminate stock. That rifle should serve you well and be very accurate. After you get a little experience with BP rifles and its your thing, you can always upgrade. Maybe even go "smokeless". But the Knight should do everything you want and may be no need to upgrade. JMO

Last edited by pyscodog; 09/26/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don’t overlook the TC Impact if they are still making them. I bought one several years ago and it was the ultimate easy button coming from a flintlock. Killed a pile of deer with it without a hiccup.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
T/C's are great, well most of them. But be aware, T/C is no longer in business.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't give any advice about inlines since I've
always used traditionals, but one thing still applies.
Practice practice practice practice practice practice.
Then after that, practice practice practice practice
and practice practice practice practice practice.
After all the practicing, you can practice some.

Don't buy something then try to go hunt a
few weeks later. Use it steadily for a year
until you gain consistency and familiarity
and can make the shot without any doubt
as to what you'll hit. You need to know how
to fix any booboos or failures to fire in the
field. You'll eventually find out exactly what
you need to carry out with you each hunt.

Good Luck with it

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have and hunt with a TC Renegade, TC Hawkin, TC Omega, and CVA Optima V2. Inlines are the easy button. Cap locks are the fun button

Personally I’d grab an Optima and go kill stuff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know about 250 yards, but I really like my CVA Optima v2.

90grns of loose T7 and a 250xtp in a black crush rib sabot will put three inside an inch at 50 yards with a peep sight.
I also shoot the 290 Barnes BT and it does almost as well. It’s a much more streamlined bullet.

That CVA has one of the best triggers out of any of my rifles.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A friend had never shot muzzle loaders and wanted one. He bought the cheapest rifle Walmart had which was a CVA Wolf kit rifle. Came with everything except powder and primers. We put it together and the first three shots were just a nice tight little group. A sub $200 rifle and shoots plenty good to hunt Oklahoma's 9 day season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-xt-50-rifle-price-reduced#Post18790767

And if you want to come pick it up (I live in southeast Virginia), I'll give your nearly 6 lbs of Schuetzen 2Fg black powder, 2 lbs of Schuetzen 3 Fg black powder, nearly 1,000 CCI 209 caps, and nearly 1,000 Schuetzen musket caps, and all my accessories for an extra $150.

I want to get out of muzzle loading altogether.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all of the input it is very helpful. I ended up picking something up locally and so far just got it sighted in and practicing at 50 yards. Playing around with different bullets and loads hoping to get to 100 with the ultimate goal of being able to shoot 200 yards but I know that may not be realistic. Just going to do it in increments of 50 and see how far I can get holding a group.

I actually ended up with two rifles. I got a traditions nitro fire and I’ve got a scope on it. Also got a TC Impact with open sites I believe a Williams Peep. Got some BH209 and I’m looking forward to shooting this one some as well.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for all of the input it is very helpful. I ended up picking something up locally and so far just got it sighted in and practicing at 50 yards. Playing around with different bullets and loads hoping to get to 100 with the ultimate goal of being able to shoot 200 yards but I know that may not be realistic. Just going to do it in increments of 50 and see how far I can get holding a group.

I actually ended up with two rifles. I got a traditions nitro fire and I’ve got a scope on it. Also got a TC Impact with open sites I believe a Williams Peep. Got some BH209 and I’m looking forward to shooting this one some as well.
That NitroFire is the ultimate "easy" button these days. My first inline was a CVA Wolf and my friend bought a TC Impact right around the same time for his first ML. We each had a lot of success with both of those models.
Some other good options here for anyone else looking to take the plunge: https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/best-muzzleloaders/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.