Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have that same guide, 47 years ago my father and I used it to carve up our first deer. I found it again when cleaning up some of his house this summer. He was a transplanted Kansas bird hunter, shot his first deer, a Blacktail forkie in 1974. We also had Treats with Venison, also published by the OSU extension office

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because of the effort involved, I totally get why some people prefer to take their game to a processor and avoid the hassle. For me, butchering what I shoot is part of the process along with hunting & cooking. I want to be good at doing all three. So I crank up the stereo & make an evening out it. As you can tell from the random size of those bratwurst, I'm not an expert at any of these skills yet. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012
Have fun, fellas. I try to get mine to the locker with as little effort on my part as possible.

Completely understand.

But I enjoy the complete process. From hunt preparation, hunting, harvest, butchering, to table process.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When we lived up north I would process all my own deer, having a place to hang them and space to do it. Down here, when I started killing deer I found it interesting that many (at least the friend whose place I hunt on and his family and many others) just throw the whole deer in the truck and take it to the processor. Having no place to hang/age a deer here, I figured, "When in Rome..."

It was not without misgivings that I did so the first deer the first year. The processor came very highly recommended, however and it was obvious that they had a well-run operation going on. The family has been in the business for four generations.

Now I've taken a bunch of deer to them and I have been very pleased. Everything has been just as good as I could do it (maybe better.) They also do stuff I just don't have the facilities to do here. As an example, last year I had some whole hams smoked by them and gave them as Christmas presents which were very well received. I'd be happy to go back to doing my own, if circumstances permit, but for now I'm very happy having them done by these people.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
My Grandma told me when she was growing up on a farm, that the whole family helped butcher deer, cows, pigs, etc. Even the little kids helped out, this was almost a hundred years ago of course. I couldnt imagine your present youth helping to butcher an animal without being traumatized

Interesting, because that's how we still do it at our house. My kids have been helping since they could walk. They could do a whole elk by themselves right down to making sausage, bacon etc from it.

Perhaps you ought not paint with a wide brush.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
My Grandma told me when she was growing up on a farm, that the whole family helped butcher deer, cows, pigs, etc. Even the little kids helped out, this was almost a hundred years ago of course. I couldnt imagine your present youth helping to butcher an animal without being traumatized

Interesting, because that's how we still do it at our house. My kids have been helping since they could walk. They could do a whole elk by themselves right down to making sausage, bacon etc from it.

Perhaps you ought not paint with a wide brush.
Same. My best friend feeds up his own hogs, chickens and steers. Butchers his own rabbits, the boys have helped with all of it since they were old enough to help.

Cousins boy is 14 and helps. Daughters are almost 3 and one just turned 4. They are there when we work up deer.

I also know a lot of "present youth" that hunt.

How is the kill any different than the processing??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Our daughters help cut the deer we (they and me, now S-I-L kill)

We cut and canned 7 quarts for him last week.
Steaked the backstraps and froze about 5 pounds to be processed after he gets more.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/08/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Always put our own up and the kids aren’t all that much help yet but they are present and help how they can same with the vegetables and any other chores unless it’s something dangerous for them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think its awesome that some of you guys are including your children in on when you harvest game or livestock. Didnt mean to offend anyone

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by chas05
I have that same guide, 47 years ago my father and I used it to carve up our first deer. I found it again when cleaning up some of his house this summer. He was a transplanted Kansas bird hunter, shot his first deer, a Blacktail forkie in 1974. We also had Treats with Venison, also published by the OSU extension office

Yeah, as a Duck it hurts to use something from OSU, but sacrifices had to be made.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 19352012
Have fun, fellas. I try to get mine to the locker with as little effort on my part as possible.

Buying meat takes even less effort.

For me, processing is part of the fun. When I take a package of steaks out of the freezer I get a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that I wouldn’t if I had taken it to a butcher.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think its awesome that some of you guys are including your children in on when you harvest game or livestock. Didnt mean to offend anyone

My boys are 28 and 23 years old. They've been part of it since they were toddlers learning to walk, watching everything I did. They are killing machines, with our very liberal bag limits and long deer seasons. They can skin one and break it down for the cooler in about 15 minutes taking their time. Another hour and they'll have it turned into trimmed lean backstaps, roasts, and chunk meat for canning or grinding. I fully expect they'll teach their own younglings the same way some day.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Offend?

Hell man,
You gave me a chance to brag!😁😁😁

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/08/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CRS
Thanks for posting. Always like reading new material, and willing to learn something new.

Have been butchering wild game for as long as I can remember. Dad was too cheap to pay for it and that continued with me and my boys.

Now is is not so much a money as a quality issue. Appreciate knowing that I am eating what I shot and took care of from field to table.

Processing this antelope today and elk was last month.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice Chad. Way cool. As for me, I put up at least 8 or 10 for myself. Pull the backstraps and leave some hindquarters for jerky, but not alot. Usually just grind it with a mix of plain pork sausage.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just occurred to me tonight, one thing I miss about butchering my own deer is the “autopsy.” Then again, I use pretty much the same bullets I always have and I’ve autopsied enough over the years that I have a pretty good idea what happened by shot placement and visible external indications. Still nice to see inside though.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my son since he was 6 years old and my daughter about 8 years old and my dear wife its always been a kitchen family butcher job and when we had a elk or two elk that were quartered sure made things easier when we all helped finish the elk meat and burger to the freezer .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We’ve always butchered our own animals at home. Pops taught me 35 years ago. We don’t grind, press sausages or smoke our own meat however. It goes to the smoke shop for that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After using a friends grinder a few years ago, I bought one and now grind all of my deer, all cuts, and add one boston butt per deer for some fat. We use all of the meat this way, shot three last year, was out of meat in June.

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/10/23.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We'll be processing a cow and spike elk on Friday. Sausage will be made later, when it cools off more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the group that thinks the butchering at home is a big part of the fun

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,693
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.