Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
On another thread, someone posted

The problem with binocs with built in range finders is the apparent short life span of the range finder. Mine lasted perhaps 2-3 years and then no longer worked properly. Probably cheaper to have regular binocs and a separate range finder that you will throw away as it will quit working in a couple years.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have two rangefinding binoculars, one a Bushnell 10x40 Fusion I've had for over a decade. The rangefinder still works fine--and its been used hard.

The other is a Zeiss Victory RF 10x40, which I've been using for over years. Zeiss's warranty on the rangefinder is among the longest in the business, five years. It still works fine, and if something happens to the laser function I still have one of the finest 10x40 binoculars available.

But would also suspect that even if I had to pay to have the laser system repaired it wouldn't cost all that much--especially compared to the disadvantage of not having a rangefinder inside the binocular. Have used a separate RF a lot, but much prefer having an RF binocular, because of the time it saves, and complications it avoids.

One of the major advantages of RF binoculars is their better ability to actually get a reading, due to being able to hold them steadier than a small, light hand-held RF.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
John I totally agree.

MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by okie john

The problem with binocs with built in range finders is the apparent short life span of the range finder. Mine lasted perhaps 2-3 years and then no longer worked properly. Probably cheaper to have regular binocs and a separate range finder that you will throw away as it will quit working in a couple years.

Thanks,

Okie John

Whoever posted that is retarded.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Repairs are always a gamble. Most electronics' parts are out of date within about 5 years regardless of price. Ask me what I think about a $5K Trimble GPS unit. Now my $90 Garmin Etrex is still ticking.

I personally shy away from multitasking gimmicks finding single dedicated functions more dependable and supporting better battery life. I constantly keep my cell phone in submarine mode. That is, it's turned off until I want to use it. Gets charged about every three months, and if I'm being tracked, I am constantly on top of our kitchen microwave.

Things like Rhino's don't float my boat either. I simply detest failure.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/07/23.

1Minute
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I too agree with JB with regards to actual field use vs. a small handheld.
I'm on my 8th year with my GEOVID HD-R's and had the previous two generations before them, never an issue with any of them.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Still using a 1st. Gen set of Geovids that I have literally used every day. They work fine!
I have replaced the battery once

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Graeme,

Am not surprised! We still have our first-generation Leica hand-held rangefinder, and it still works fine...as do a couple of other hand-helds.

But we do have to replace the batteries occasionally!

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have two rangefinding binoculars, one a Bushnell 10x40 Fusion I've had for over a decade. The rangefinder still works fine--and its been used hard.

The other is a Zeiss Victory RF 10x40, which I've been using for over years. Zeiss's warranty on the rangefinder is among the longest in the business, five years. It still works fine, and if something happens to the laser function I still have one of the finest 10x40 binoculars available.

But would also suspect that even if I had to pay to have the laser system repaired it wouldn't cost all that much--especially compared to the disadvantage of not having a rangefinder inside the binocular. Have used a separate RF a lot, but much prefer having an RF binocular, because of the time it saves, and complications it avoids.

One of the major advantages of RF binoculars is their better ability to actually get a reading, due to being able to hold them steadier than a small, light hand-held RF.
+1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have separate units and am not interested in a combined tool.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don’t have binos but I guess my Leica 1000 is 15 years old now and still going strong

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I graduated from a Swarovski LRF to a set of Leica Geovids last year. So much faster in the field and you have no need to reacquire the target with a handheld wasting valuable time in a shooting scenario.

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
My experience with most things electronic, it's either a case of infant mortality, or they last forever. It just seems that if there's an issue, it usually shows up early in its use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I’m different than some, as I buy the rf binoculars to use. What happens to them afterwords is somewhere In the future and I am going to use them for purpose I bought them.

I have had 3 generations of Leica rf binoculars and 2 Swarovski. I now have the latest 10X42 Swarovski rf binoculars and find them more suitable than the Leica HD-B as the Leica was just too big.

They all work, optics are important, so I stay with Swarovski. The latest 8X32 are in at my dealer and I am going to pick them up this week. I am anxious to see how well they work for size and range finding. I did get the Leica 8X32 range when they first came out, but they had a 2-3 second delay in read out, so I sold them.

Of course, you want reliability when you buy something this expensive, but I guess I’m willing to risk it for the use of the binoculars when they work and not dwell on the potential of them not working…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Thanks,

Okie John

Well, I wrote that and it was based upon my experience with range finding products which was a good number of years past - say 10 years and has included 2 sets of Leica range finding binoculars and Leupold and Bushnell range finders.

If your experience was better, then good for you but, in the meantime, ask your mom how she liked sucking my retarded dick.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
John
I must have gotten one of those 1 in a 1,000,000 batteries to start with :-)

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just picked up some GPO 10×50 ranging binos. Shoutout to Doug on how fast he got them to me.

I read a bunch of reviews, including a thread here in the optics forum about them. They also have a great warranty if needed. First time I'm using something like these, I always carried separate binos and rangefinder. The more I'm using them, the more I'm liking them. I guess time will tell how long they last.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Thanks,

Okie John

Well, I wrote that and it was based upon my experience with range finding products which was a good number of years past - say 10 years and has included 2 sets of Leica range finding binoculars and Leupold and Bushnell range finders.

If your experience was better, then good for you but, in the meantime, ask your mom how she liked sucking my retarded dick.

Lol.....retard, being a retard.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You Leica's guys must have got all of the good bino/rf units. I had a previous version (403 model) that wouldn't range anything when temps got around freezing. Then a few years after that (couple of years ago now) I had 3 different 3200.com's that never would range even remotely close to what they claimed, even on large oil storage tanks, not deer. Leica gave up trying to help, and I went a different direction. Every Leica I've had has paled in comparison to the Vortex Fury AB, which has as kickasss RF, AB ballistic program out as far as you can range, more than adequate optics (easily past legal shooting light), and guaranteed for life. IMHO, the best combo of optics and RF ability is the GPO 10x50's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
John
I must have gotten one of those 1 in a 1,000,000 batteries to start with :-)

Ha!

Maybe Leica cheaped out on the batteries, to reduce retail price $2....

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,060
Posts18,482,382
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.