Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever have one of the first Remington 700's made with a camo stock, from the factory? I believe it was in the mid 90's. Was the stock made by Choate? If I remember the material was Rynite, and was the pre cursor to their synthetic stocks. Thought they also had a matte finish.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yes. I like it. It’s in the middle, a 7 mag

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 10/08/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Model 700 RS, made in 1987 according to the barrel code. It has a Rynite stock and matte finish. My stock is greenish grey in color, and I believe that there was a certain model also offered that was in camo, but I'm not sure which one. They only made them a few years. These rifles were called FS and RS. From what I've read, there is sometimes confusion on which model is which.

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. Does the recoil pad say Choate?

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to replace mine, and I know the old one did not say Choate. Of course, it would probably depend on who made the stock.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Had to replace it. I think it did

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Yes. I like it. It’s in the middle, a 7 mag

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's like a year's supply of rifles laid on their bolt. You just don't see it that often.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Anyone ever have one of the first Remington 700's made with a camo stock, from the factory? I believe it was in the mid 90's. Was the stock made by Choate? If I remember the material was Rynite, and was the pre cursor to their synthetic stocks. Thought they also had a matte finish.

I believe Remington's from that era were made by Six Enterprises or B&C.

Not Choate.

I have never seen a Choate pad on any Remington.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original pad on mine is stamped Remington. A Remington catalog from the time period designates the RS model as having a Dupont Rynite stock.

Last edited by JamesJr; 10/08/23.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The original pad on mine is stamped Remington. A Remington catalog from the time period designates the RS model as having a Dupont Rynite stock.

Golly gee thanks.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If Mossy Oak camo some of those were just a wood stock that was dipped. Would have been early 90s.

I think they had a model that was a no name camo but synthetic stock earlier than that though.

700 RS possibly?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/08/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a camoed RS in 280 Rem. with the camo bought new sometime between 88-92. A C prefix serial # & no barrel code that I can read other than a 28 which is not a date code. The Rynite stocks were a fairly dark greenish gray. Some had the green, reddish brown, & yellow ochre camo sprayed on thru what appears to be leaf-like stencils... absolutely NOT mossy oak. Both were RS. The box end said CAMO on the camo'ed ones. The rifles aren't particularly light, but very close to the wood stocked models. I believe all were BDLs. The black pad on mine says Remington vertically looking at the rifle as if it was at your shoulder. Metal matte finish looks to be about what became the standard Rem finish in later years but a tad smoother.

Unsure what, if any, extra care was given to this model, but my barrel is much nicer on the inside than any other factory Rem barrel I've looked at with a borescope. Lacy mentioned in his 700 book that the RSs were known to be shooters.

The FS model that came out around the same time was a fiberglass stock made by... I forget who, but not Remington. The few I saw were a couple shades lighter gray than the RSs without the green tint. Think gray primer from a spray can.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing but heresay but there’s a thread on here somewhere discussing this and someone said the AS was a Lee Six made Arylon
The RS a Butler Creek Rynite and the FS was a Brown Precision Fiberglass.

I Had a Lee Six somewhere that came on a 700 I bought but someone had butchered the fugk out of it. Think I threw it in the dumpster.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 358WCF
I have a camoed RS in 280 Rem. with the camo bought new sometime between 88-92. A C prefix serial # & no barrel code that I can read other than a 28 which is not a date code. The Rynite stocks were a fairly dark greenish gray. Some had the green, reddish brown, & yellow ochre camo sprayed on thru what appears to be leaf-like stencils... absolutely NOT mossy oak. Both were RS. The box end said CAMO on the camo'ed ones. The rifles aren't particularly light, but very close to the wood stocked models. I believe all were BDLs. The black pad on mine says Remington vertically looking at the rifle as if it was at your shoulder. Metal matte finish looks to be about what became the standard Rem finish in later years but a tad smoother.

Unsure what, if any, extra care was given to this model, but my barrel is much nicer on the inside than any other factory Rem barrel I've looked at with a borescope. Lacy mentioned in his 700 book that the RSs were known to be shooters.

The FS model that came out around the same time was a fiberglass stock made by... I forget who, but not Remington. The few I saw were a couple shades lighter gray than the RSs without the green tint. Think gray primer from a spray can.

The FS was a fiberglass.

the RS was Rynite.

KS are Kevlar.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure the FS were all B&C. The RS were all Six Enterprises. The KS were McMillans.

It is all really moot IMO until you stumble into a KS. The KS are verifiable as McMillans. The other two, not so much. Very few people even know what a Six Enterprises stock is so I don't see being able to hang a higher price on something if it does have one.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
FS were brown. KS were brown from 86 until 90/91 when McMillan took over the contract. That per Mark Brown.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the SS .280 in ryanite. Box says 700 mountain blind , ryanite. Was made 2 years I think. Pad is marked Remington. Its in the box. I put a hogue overmold on it and converted to BDL.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Not Choate.

Thanks. This pad says Choate on it. I think it replaced one that said...

Cutler

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
RS (rynite) were Choate and AS (arylon) were Six.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Not Choate.

Thanks. This pad says Choate on it. I think it replaced one that said...

Cutler

Pard,

Let's try and keep things pard like.

OK pard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.