Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Are these worth buying, if so a reasonable amount to spend on one. I have a Custom Remington 722 in 257R and thought it would be a good companion gun to take out west. Have a chance to pick one up local to me.

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dude! Buy it. Rare.

I had one in my young hands many years ago and it slipped away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one back in the 90's. It shot okay, but I don't care for straight grip stocks, so away it went.

If you like the way that they feel/handle, they are worth the money, if not then they aren't. The important questions is how badly do you want it, everything else is just equivocating.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought one in the early 90s. I bought it so my mom could hunt since she said she wanted a lever-action. Then she said she didn't like seeing the hammer back so sold it and bought a Winchester M70 FWT in same caliber. The only thing wrong with the BLR was the trigger. A bit heavy.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's nice about the BLR in Bob is your not restricted to a short action OAL like the 722 or the 70

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one downside of these is that Browning does not warranty the steel receiver models. The action is tricky to work on so not every gunsmith could fix ‘em. Parts available? Had a 284Win a with problem firing pin.Got it fixed and broomed it. A .257Bob that didn’t shoot. Henry doesn’t make a 257Bob but .243Win and 6.5creedmore iare pretty similar. Warranted and made in USA.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you have a chance to that 257 Roberts BLR buy it or sell it to me. the thing about problems with this rifle a real gunsmith can fix anything but it can be costly. P.M. me if you wanna make a $100.00 and sell it to me ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savorino
The one downside of these is that Browning does not warranty the steel receiver models. The action is tricky to work on so not every gunsmith could fix ‘em. Parts available? Had a 284Win a with problem firing pin.Got it fixed and broomed it. A .257Bob that didn’t shoot. Henry doesn’t make a 257Bob but .243Win and 6.5creedmore iare pretty similar. Warranted and made in USA.

Can I ask where you got your "information" about steel receivered BLR's ?

What is the alleged "tricky" issue?

What was your FP issue? Was it DMW, or user induced?

Can you show me a Browning Warrantee?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know my bil took his BLR apart. Couldn't get it back together and took it to a gunsmith who took it to a different gunsmith who finally got it back together. Not every smith can work on them

S
S
I had one I bought in the 80s and it turned out to have the Browning Salt Wood problem. Look that up and make sure yours was manufactured outside of the dates. Mine would have been a pile of red dust by now. Gave it to a GS who parted it out. Loved it while it lasted.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My brother bought his wife (Lela) this same model for their annual hunts to Wyoming. This 257 Roberts was a fine choice for mulies and pronghorn antelope. But an elk hunt turned bad for her. But the animal was eventually downed after a long chase. My brother sold this BLR and bought her one in 7mm-08. She has toppled many animals with this Browning with excellent success. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starprairie
I had one I bought in the 80s and it turned out to have the Browning Salt Wood problem. Look that up and make sure yours was manufactured outside of the dates. Mine would have been a pile of red dust by now. Gave it to a GS who parted it out. Loved it while it lasted.
Salt wood was 67,68,69 factory cautions up to '72 for extra cushion. If you bought one in the '80's it would have been crispy when you bought it one might think.
It ain't like they were like a '69 Scout. If you own a Salty, are aware of it, take proper care and take action to arrest the issue. There's no reason your grandson's grandson won't be taking his first deer with it.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Starprarie, how much do you think the GS made off you? Or did he keep it for himself?

Salty's were 67,68,69. Cautioned till '72. Pre-production BLR's started in '67 an they came out in '71, but the first production was here, in Ohio at TRW before going to Belgium. So chances of a Salty BLR are pretty phuc king thin. Add to that, you said you bought in the 80's and it gets exponentially thinner. Might be time for a new GS.

Being your Lawyer here. If he's still your GS , you might wanna hire a Detective. Cuz he's probably plowing your wife too🤣

Or were just making up stories for the guyz?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can look it over and it's in good shape, I'd buy it unless you think the price is out of line. They are a hard piece to come by in that chambering. I seen 2 in person my whole life, and only 1 for sale, and I bought it. Mine was made in the mid 80's and I paid $850 for it locally a couple yrs ago, I imagine they're worth a good bit more than that now.

Mine shoots plenty good enough the little bit I messed with it. Trigger is not good, I want to work on that when I get a chance. As was mentioned above, do not take the action apart on them. They are timed and all accounts are not for the novice to put back together.

Here's mine. It hangs the 115 partition right around an inch at 100, the 100 speer more like 1.5"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.