Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just FYI I’m listing some vintage cookware in the classifieds if any interest. I restore cast iron, carbon, and aluminum cookware, (mainly magnalite). I will restore your pieces needing attention as well. Prices start at 25.00

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...4/re-griswold-lbl-7-skillet#Post18825524

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds great, but I have two sets. Have a good sale.

Reminded me when I saw a guy walking down a street encumbered with dozens of pans and utensils in Beijing and Shanghai.

In China there are craftsmen (Ju Ci) that (still) travel to residences to actually repair cracks in cookware. Superb work.

Appears not everyone there has money for new ones.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm the only one that uses it around here, wife is afraid she'll ruin it along with the weight, so the few pieces I have are enough for now. Have to admit the second hand shops in the town over the hill have a decent selection of stuff and I keep eyeing the Dutch ovens. and roasters.

Good luck with your sales.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have picked up some cast iron/cast steel at garage sales. Collecting it can be addictive along with the fact it's great to cook with. Bacon grease is my favorite cooking oil.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'm the only one that uses it around here, wife is afraid she'll ruin it along with the weight, so the few pieces I have are enough for now. Have to admit the second hand shops in the town over the hill have a decent selection of stuff and I keep eyeing the Dutch ovens. and roasters.

Good luck with your sales.

The old stuff isn’t near as heavy as the new stuff, Griswold, Wapak and others had some lightweight stuff.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have picked up some cast iron/cast steel at garage sales. Collecting it can be addictive along with the fact it's great to cook with. Bacon grease is my favorite cooking oil.

kwg

Have you tried the Bacon up sold in stores?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cast iron is all we use at home. I was looking forward to getting a bunch more from my grandmother. She had all of her mother's and grandmother's cast iron. Well, my uncle was over at her place one day doing some "cleaning" and threw all of it in the dumpster because he saw some rust on it (some that she hadn't used in a while). I was so pissed and still am now thinking about it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's some lighter weight new stuff that's offered by GSI, or at least was in the past few years. Also GSI has aluminum and anodized aluminum dutch ovens and an 10" kettle. I've got the anodized 10" pot or kettle and use it at home and over the fire all the time. I'm going to get me the 12" version at some point

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few pieces of Wagner Ware.
Lodge cast iron cook ware, while not Wagner ware, is pretty darn good.
If Wagner Ware is a 10.0, I'd consider Lodge at least a 9.75.
I've also got two small skillets that belonged to my maternal grandmother. They bear no "brand name", but are very good.

My wife can no longer handle those big heavy skillets. I still use them occasionally.
A DECENT pone of cornbread can only be made in a cast iron skillet! LOL!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lodge is pretty good but it is also heavy. I have one little Griswold, probably an 8 that is lighter. It is a pleasure to use. All in all I like the cast iron pans much better than anything else. I've tried various granite, copper and other miracle pans but they all scratch. They do not live up to their commercials. Cast iron cooks and fries better in my opinion.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My go to pan is my Piqua!!! "The best to cook in". Least that’s what it says on the bottom!!!🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My go to pan is my Piqua!!! "The best to cook in". Least that’s what it says on the bottom!!!🤣

I found a Piqua the other day, nice pans.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like the “scratch off” pans, when you’re not sure what it is until it’s cleaned up. It’s like Christmas….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainshot
Lodge is pretty good but it is also heavy. I have one little Griswold, probably an 8 that is lighter. It is a pleasure to use. All in all I like the cast iron pans much better than anything else. I've tried various granite, copper and other miracle pans but they all scratch. They do not live up to their commercials. Cast iron cooks and fries better in my opinion.

My wife set up a howl for one of those "air fryer" outfits.
As good as she takes care of me, I didn't argue.
Ok, the fries aren't like out of a cast iron skillet, but they're still just fine. They crisp up fries pretty good!

Just this morning, I diced up some potatoes and onions and tossed 'em in my little 8" cast iron skillet.
An over medium egg and I was in "fat boy" heaven!
Then came "clean-up".
I'd used about 1 cup of oil. Only about 1/4 cup remained in the skillet! 😳 The bottom of the bowl I ate out of looked like a well greased cake pan!
The air fryer uses maybe 2 tablespoons of oil!
At my age, lower saturated fat intake is a plus!

I'll still fry me some hashbrowns in my little cast iron skillet occasionally. But if I want fries, and I do love fries, the vast majority will have to be "air fried"! LOL!

BTW! Did you know that cornbread is good for diabetics and is a generally healthy food.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

Have you tried the Bacon up sold in stores?
Bacon up ?? I am not familiar with that. I get my bacon grease the old fashion way. BLT's in the summer. It usually last me for the whole winter.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
How old are y'all that modern cast iron is considered heavy? I don't exactly have tree trunk forearms but FFS my 84 year old grandmother still uses her cast iron cookware.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
How old are y'all that modern cast iron is considered heavy? I don't exactly have tree trunk forearms but FFS my 84 year old grandmother still uses her cast iron cookware.

☝🏼Who’s this fûckin guy? 😆

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

☝🏼Who’s this fûckin guy? 😆

The guy who's Nana has Parkinson's and (mild) Alzheimer's but can still use cast iron cookware.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 10/09/23. Reason: Clarification
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Geezus....why don't you get the poor woman some help.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
VLB just extend arts and crafts time by 4 hours today!

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.