Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Need a cleaner to remove heavy copper in a new barrel. First time out, shoot one, clean with Hoppes Benchrest, repeat for 20 rounds. Never got a bit of blue on patches, just carbon. Thought, damn this barrel isn't coppering at all....
Until I looked down bore with a strong light. Bore was orange.....
Have tried several cleaners including Sweets and there are still traces of copper in the barrel.
Are any copper cleaners really agressive anymore or has EPA neutered everything?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had good luck with Wipe Out or Patch Out. As far as I can tell anyway. Interested to hear what anyone with a bore scope has seen after using these.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jdunham
I have had good luck with Wipe Out or Patch Out. As far as I can tell anyway. Interested to hear what anyone with a bore scope has seen after using these.
^^^^^^^^
Ditto

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Montana Extreme

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wipe-out

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another recommendation for Wipe-out.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 86thecat
First time out, shoot one, clean with Hoppes Benchrest, repeat for 20 rounds.

Wow

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Wow

The barrel break-in myth is alive and well!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have also had good luck with wipe out. Hoppes isn’t so great for cooper

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Wow

The barrel break-in myth is alive and well!
No schit, thought that died years ago.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't aware Wipe Out is still available. Have Carb Out and it works great on carbon. Used Wipe Out when first introduced and it was great on copper but never touched the carbon, ended up with carbon rings on 2 rifles years ago.
If I can find wipe out and it is as agressive on copper as it used to be, that may do the trick.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steve
Another recommendation for Wipe-out.

Me too. It helps if you have a horizontal rack you can sit the rifle in and let it sit overnight. Angle the muzzle down slightly, plug the chamber with a patch so you don't get any in there, and put something under the muzzle to catch any drips.

Next day the first patch will be bright blue. I do 2 or 3 rifles at a time after a range session, saves on elbow grease. Clean out the wipeout, then coat the bore with Hoppe's and let it sit for at least a few hours. If there's any copper still in there, the first patch will show it, and you can do the wipeout again to get the rest.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wasn't aware Wipe Out is still available.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014881554?pid=784639

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweets 7.62 WILL get metal fouling out, but it doesn't seem to be very good at all at getting underneath any carbon fouling present. Leaving it in the bore for a little while and giving it a little help with a nylon brush seems to be effective, but in my experience carbon and metal fouling build up in alternating layers, so a good carbon solvent helps in dealing with that.

Bore Tech eliminator seems to work a little better as a single solvent solution, but I still alternate with Hoppe's No.9 to speed up the carbon layer removal. I also give BTE a little mechanical help with a nylon brush as well.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the link.

As to the "barrel break in myth"-
Doesn't take much time and doesn't hurt anything. Most barrel makers still recommend it, so why not?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gunslick Pro works great.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Several years ago, I bought most of the solvents Midway offered and tested them including every product mentioned in this thread so far.

Barnes solvent was the most aggressive/fastest copper remover. Considering they sell copper bullets that makes sense. It now is what I use at the range on barrels to quickly remove copper. It is very aggressive and can ruin a barrel if left in too long. Sweet’s was second.

Wrap a soaked patch around a smaller diameter nylon brush and push it through. Four or five patches usually will do the job. Then push through a dry patch, followed by a patch with oil, then dry patch to remove the solvent.

The Hoppe’s Benchrest works well for an overnight to remove heavy carbon build up.

Wipeout looks impressive with foam changing color, but leaves heavy carbon deposits behind. A cheap bore scope opened my eyes to that problem.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the link.

As to the "barrel break in myth"-
Doesn't take much time and doesn't hurt anything. Most barrel makers still recommend it, so why not?

Because it's a waste of time and effort to clean down to bare metal every shot. Done right, you have to remove all copper between shots which is time consuming.

Mule Deer has written about this, and I do what he recommends. Go to the range, and shoot normally. Clean down to bare metal after every range session. Done that way, you can do your "barrel break-in" while you're testing loads. And get 5-10X the number of rounds downrange in the same amount of time because you're not stopping to clean for 15-20 minutes between shots.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wipe Out pretty much ruined a couple barrels leaving carbon donuts behind which were baked in so hard as to be almost impossible to remove, but was brutal on copper.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's why I use Hoppe's too. Should have said this but I'll use Hoppe's and a plastic brush/patches for carbon first, then wipeout for copper.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.