Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Coopers hawks patrol my feeders and I always enjoy watching them hunt. They are a cool little killer.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are we destined to forever

Nothing is forever

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve read that the Northern Goshawk feeds on the other hawks as well. Those are really impressive-looking birds. Not common here, but I see them occasionally in the Fall and Winter. They’re so large, their sitting profile is quite distinctive, as is their slate-gray color.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Ours are about the size of the mourning doves they hunt. They aren’t big, in fact they are one of the smallest of our raptors along with the Merlin, but they pack a hell of a lot of power into their little frame. They don’t “carry” the dove off after colliding with it, once it’s stunned or dead on the ground the Kestrel stands on it and begins to feed. If they are supporting chicks I’ve watched one bring meat back to the nest while the other feeds and stands guard. I’ve found several dead Kestrels that were apparently involved in a high speed chase that they miscalculated and hit a fence, wire or window.

Yep. hit like the legion of BOOM !

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
It would be nice if you could train them to pluck doves. I saw one kill a pigeon and it had feathers flying off it like crazy. The drive by falconrywith the kestrel is prettybadass

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Here’s one of the ones we have here I picked up in the field that hit a power line. Not much bigger than a dove.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Do their heads pull off as easily as a doves??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Threads like this quickly distinguish farm heritage from the others.

Things that destroy valuables...soon don't.

Period, end of story.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To continue this thread, I also have both an Osprey and a Bald Eagle that have nested not too far away, about 1/4th mile. I see both almost every morning at Sunrise as they hunt the lake. The Bald Eagle loves to perch on the large Cotton Wood trees we have near the Lake. Three times this Summer I saw the Bald Eagle in Hot Pursuit of the Osprey that was carrying a fresh fish catch. The Osprey was yelling like crazy with the Eagle about 10' behind exactly paralleling it's flight. This went on for about 5 minutes until the Osprey dropped it's catch, then the Eagle dropped back to gather it off the water. Lucky to see all the action, but I do get up before dawn each day before anyone else while the world is awakening. AAHHHH, the retired life !! OK, so the Kestrels are cool, but I miss all the other birds, etc. except the Starlings and Grackles. And I wish they were not so loud all day. Being a Farm kid, I love nature/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’ve read that the Northern Goshawk feeds on the other hawks as well. Those are really impressive-looking birds. Not common here, but I see them occasionally in the Fall and Winter. They’re so large, their sitting profile is quite distinctive, as is their slate-gray color.

A cool goshawk video.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Cooper's hawks in my backyard this summer that raised 3 chicks and they scared every bird and squirrel away which would have been okay but the chicks constant calling got to be pretty irritating. They ate a surprising number of Cicadas and songbird chicks.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The Cooper's Hawks are the killing machines around my place.
I inherited 30 homing Pigeons a few years ago... they were all dead within a few months because of them.

I really don’t like Cooper’s. Murderous little bastards that will linger in an area and wipe out the songbird populations. We typically see a few kestrels, a few sharp shinneds and plenty of red tails. But we are overwhelmed with Cooper’s.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a long legged hawk chase a sparrow into a holly tree and a pussy cat hunting them from the ground in Napa CA. Any idea what type of Hawk it was?

The cat was real friendly and talkative. He let strangers pick him up! I called him wideload because he was almost as wide as he was long. All the neighbors loved that cat and would feed him.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whiptail
I had Cooper's hawks in my backyard this summer that raised 3 chicks and they scared every bird and squirrel away which would have been okay but the chicks constant calling got to be pretty irritating. They ate a surprising number of Cicadas and songbird chicks.

Just about every tree in this town has great-tailed grackles and/or white-winged doves nesting in it. An abundant prey base. Urban Cooper’s are coming on strong.

We’ve had Cooper’s in the adjacent Hill Country forever, never did get much into town. Those who maintain purple martin colonies first started reporting urban Coops wiping out their colonies in Florida maybe twenty five years back.

The phenomenon appeared to me to spread west along with the urban-adapted Coops; Houston beginning maybe fifteen years back.

Last year for the first time we had year-round breeding Coopers where I’m at.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another note:

A pair of Coops raising IIRC three young in Upstate NY were observed to bring 64 robin-sized songbirds to the nest while raising their young.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OP, if you're feeding songbirds, squirrels, etc in your yard, you're chumming for raptors. Like birdwatcher said, if those kestrels are nesting in a hole, closing it up when they leave for the winter is your best bet at not having them around as much next season.

I feed jays, quail, and, doves, sparrows, etc around our house. Just the other morning, while scattering their cheap chicken scratch and placing peanuts for the jays, all the birds spooked, flew away, or landed in trees as a sharp shinned came flying thru looking for an easy meal.

I also let my hens out to range around most days. One day while out near them, all of a sudden they ducked under a shed. I looked up and here comes a marshhawk, or Northern Harrier as they are now called by the experts.

This Cooper's came through and stayed for a minute awhile back, hung around long enough for me to get a few decent pics

Cropped this pic to make a better portrait and sent it to the local paper.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A cool goshawk video.

Pretty slick!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A cool goshawk video.
It is amazing what that bird did. A college buddy, very well known in falconry circles, had Harris hawks which he threw at rabbits from the car window.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A cropped photo of a cropped photo 🙂

[Linked Image from ]

Check out those talons, the classic bird-catching configuration. That long skinny middle toe in front extends the reach and hooks the fleeing prey. Most of the killing is done with the heavier hind toe in back and first toe in front after capture. The hawk leans back out of retaliatory striking distance and “foots” it with legs stretched forward, working it with its claws until it stops struggling.

Cooper and Sharpshin talons don’t have to be that heavy on account of birds, being lightly constructed, aren’t that hard to kill.

IIRC related hawks in the tropics that prey mostly on lizards have relatively heavier, shorter-toed feet.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, they will keep coming back, unless you raid the nest of thier chics, they usually have four. When I was a young lad, I had many, took only one out of the nest just before the 4th every year, for about 5 years. Always took the Falcon, or female which are about a third larger the Tercel, or male. Raised and flew them in the summer, and released back into the wild in early Sept. Neat bird.

Interesting tho, of all I had and watched, never saw one hit another bird...mice, insects.

The Merlin is a different creature.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.