Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hard to argue with results like that. What did the post-mortem show for damage?

Soup innards, likely shrapnel exits. Busted both shoulders or at least entry dependent on angle. Entire gut cavity filled up. No heartbeat 20 seconds after shot.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2five7
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts, I'll post the decision that was made after a while.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

EDIT:

Here is the full video. This is my youngest boy (18) on the gun. Featherweight6555 absolutely nailed it!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would let one rip.
Thats a 25-06 doing what it was intended to do, and so is the well trained shooter, Very well done both of you!!

I was too a little hesitant on a 25-06 and elk. It is not the caliber I would choose for a full time wapiti whopper, but in open country, long range where one can be absolute on shot placement....zero flies on the 25-06 with bullets intended for big game.

Seen it done first hand by my wife with looked to be less light than the video. We shot 100 partitions killing elk with a single bullet but have moved up to the 110 accubond because of availability at the time.

Well done again to the both of you!!

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like it all worked out as intended, and a great experience for the young hunter.

Lots of practice paid off.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
Great shot and cool video. What was he using for optics? Holdover, turrets, or reticle hold?

Buriss Veracity 3-15x50, Dialed 4.5 MOA from his 100 yard zero.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts,

I'm letting him walk. Even if it works, as it apparently did, there are way too many things that can go wrong leading to crippling and losing an animal with the specific conditions you list. Kid seemingly did everything right but he still only had a 50/50 chance of good results. I'll offer my heartfelt congratulations but at the same time, I would not have pulled the trigger .. MY ethics.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T_O_M

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts,

I'm letting him walk. Even if it works, as it apparently did, there are way too many things that can go wrong leading to crippling and losing an animal with the specific conditions you list. Kid seemingly did everything right but he still only had a 50/50 chance of good results. I'll offer my heartfelt congratulations but at the same time, I would not have pulled the trigger .. MY ethics.

Tom

50/50 chance of good results you say? Interesting.

Congratulations awesome bull!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great video! Great bull !! Congrats to the young man on a really good shot at 400 yds. Everyone has their opinion on whether to shoot or not. The results speak.
Thanks for sharing!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i rewatched the video the young man made an excellent shot , i am sure he knew his rifle well. i see no reason not to take the shot this young man did very well and we should all congrats him . so here is another congrats ! nice shot i would have shot too. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
400 is a poke on shooting sticks, especially if you've been hiking and have any kind of heavy breathing. If the scope on said rifle was at least 14 power or so it would make things easier. I'd like to say I'd shoot him in the chest. Part of me would want to shoot behind the shoulder and grab a lung and some liver. That 115 vld is a nasty bullet. Killed alot of stuff with it. But if you smack that shoulder bone or scapula, things could get hairy. Chest is definitely the shot there, he slipped it over the shoulder and terminated the respiratory system of that bull. He took out the central nervous system and blood supply to the heart and lungs with that one. I'd say the shot made was about as perfect as it could be. Dam good shot.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Great shot and great bull. Congrats.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Coyote10
400 is a poke on shooting sticks, especially if you've been hiking and have any kind of heavy breathing. If the scope on said rifle was at least 14 power or so it would make things easier. I'd like to say I'd shoot him in the chest. Part of me would want to shoot behind the shoulder and grab a lung and some liver. That 115 vld is a nasty bullet. Killed alot of stuff with it. But if you smack that shoulder bone or scapula, things could get hairy. Chest is definitely the shot there, he slipped it over the shoulder and terminated the respiratory system of that bull. He took out the central nervous system and blood supply to the heart and lungs with that one. I'd say the shot made was about as perfect as it could be. Dam good shot.

I've helped find deer shot behind the shoulder even though the animal was quartering on. It's not a shot for me.

After the hit that elk moved pretty well for having his central nervous system taken out. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Coyote10

I've helped find deer shot behind the shoulder even though the animal was quartering on. It's not a shot for me.

After the hit that elk moved pretty well for having his central nervous system taken out. grin

If you can shoot an animal behind the shoulder and pop lungs, why would you try anything else? Those lungs will bleed more than any other organ except the heart which is a 1/10 of the size. A quarter to on an elk is a totally different animal than a deer. Body mass and bones are way more dense.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With the quartering presentation shown I don't care for the tracking job such a behind the shoulder shot will likely entail. I would want to make the shot the shooter actually made, and if I didn't think I could I'd have to pass.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
With the quartering presentation shown I don't care for the tracking job such a behind the shoulder shot will likely entail. I would want to make the shot the shooter actually made, and if I didn't think I could I'd have to pass.

I'll track em. Don't matter to me. It's called hunting, not getting.
Ethics are a good quality to have. Terrible losing an animal because you made a poor decision. However, you have a rifle that is plenty capable of a 400 yard shot. Get the opportunity, which in this case is a good one, take it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That shot presentation and rifle/load combination wouldn't give me an instant of hesitation, and I've never shot a Berger of any sort at anything more than paper or steel. In fact, given the stationary critter, low-to-no wind, and great rest, there aren't many bottle-neck cases from the 223 on up that I WOULND'T use to make that shot.

Congratulations to the shooter and his "guide". I hope your taxidermist doesn't get after you for all those sand-burs. (grin)

I watched the video again, looks like there's an exit wound just behind the off-side rib-cage.

Last edited by horse1; 10/10/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I watched the video again, looks like there's an exit wound just behind the off-side rib-cage.

I noticed that spot too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

I've been over it many times with my nephews. Don't think about where on the surface you want to hit the animal. Think about what you want the projectile to go through and let that determine the desired point of impact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What did the bullet hit?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

That animal is barely quartered. Bullet would exit last rib. Dead elk.
Also that 25-06 running 3150 is would eat that elk up. I'd tuck it directly behind the crease and let that berger imulsify that elk. Or on a quarter to, that shoulder bone below the scapula is forward of the actual shoulder. Heck, just drill him right behind the point of the shoulder if you don't wanna chest him.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,107
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.