Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

What did the bullet hit?

I don't believe he was referring to the actual shot that was made.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

I've been over it many times with my nephews. Don't think about where on the surface you want to hit the animal. Think about what you want the projectile to go through and let that determine the desired point of impact.

This too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If the elk in the video would have been shot BEHIND the shoulder we all would be having a different conversation, regardless of what caliber and bullet was used. As it were, the boy hit where he was supposed to.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He hit him where I would have chosen.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If the elk in the video would have been shot BEHIND the shoulder we all would be having a different conversation, regardless of what caliber and bullet was used. As it were, the boy hit where he was supposed to.

Yep, behind the shoulder on that shot = maybe 1 lung, maybe liver, lots of guts. The only saving grace to shooting that critter at that angle behind the shoulder is that it might take him off his feet or hump him up enough to get a 2nd shot in him.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Very nice shot!

And outcome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A most excellent video/ story/ post.

I enjoyed it.

I would just like to add to the conversation that the cow calling you did seemed most effective, I wouldn’t have figured at 400 yards it would have such a dramatic response.

Can you share what call you used.

Congratulations!

As a side note one day I had off years ago I spent a lot of time studying the Sierra reloading book. I was staying with a friend in Merril Oregon and he had the book….it’s ginormous.
That day I concluded the 25/06 was perhaps the best ballistic performer in that book ( non belted magnums).

I had a model 70 Ranger in 25/06 that my friend shot so well he had to buy it from me. Never replaced it, I still have the dies I think.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/10/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve seen the 243 and 25-06 used a number of times on elk. Including accounting 3 myself 243. Both are plenty for elk.

Last edited by smallfry; 10/10/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Beautiful footage. Thank you!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats to you and your son - well done (to both the instructor and pupil!!).

PennDog

IC B3

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Angus1895
A most excellent video/ story/ post.

I enjoyed it.

I would just like to add to the conversation that the cow calling you did seemed most effective, I wouldn’t have figured at 400 yards it would have such a dramatic response.

Can you share what call you used.

Congratulations!

As a side note one day I had off years ago I spent a lot of time studying the Sierra reloading book. I was staying with a friend in Merril Oregon and he had the book….it’s ginormous.
That day I concluded the 25/06 was perhaps the best ballistic performer in that book ( non belted magnums).

I had a model 70 Ranger in 25/06 that my friend shot so well he had to buy it from me. Never replaced it, I still have the dies I think.

That call was a Steve Chapell Trophy Wife. I agree that the 25-06 is tough to beat from a performance vs. recoil standpoint, hits hard on the muzzle end, but not much on the butt end!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m probably picky when it comes to elk and bullets. I wouldn’t use that bullet. Good ballistic co-efficient but I wouldn’t trust it on other than a shot through the ribs/lungs.
At that range and that angle, I’d likely try to get closer and try to get a broad side shot. But I’d not be hunting elk with that combination at any rate - I’m probably picky.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 2five7
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts, I'll post the decision that was made after a while.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Beautiful bull, and perfect shot placement. Hooray for the young man behind the trigger. Someone has been training him right.

I love the quick cow call and perfect timing of the shot as the bull hesitated. That IS the way HUNTING is done.

Back in the day, when I and my rifle were properly tuned, yes I would have taken the shot, and picked the same point of impact.

25-06? Back in the early '80s a friend of mine and his two brothers hunted elk on a large cattle ranch owned by their Dad and Uncle. They also had two buddies who hunted with them every year on their private elk paradise.

All five of the guys carried a 24 inch Ruger tang safety in 25-06. They used the Nosler solid base 120 gr over H4831........Until Barnes invented the X bullet. Then they all switched to the X.

The boys all limited out every year. I never heard about a lost bull. Had it happened, I would have heard.

I was so impressed with the performance of their guns, I purchased a Ruger in 25-06 just like theirs. It shot just as well, also. But, I still owned my "meat in the pot" 30-06. I never blooded the 25 except on ground squirrels and muskrats at extended range.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great shot and great bull ! Knowing how my 25-06 shoots I would have taken the shot also.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shot, nice bull!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Awesome pic!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’d take the shot with my 25-06 & TTSX bullets. I think you have options on the bull. Neck, behind the shoulder & shot taken. Any modern bullet in the vitals or CNS or arteries will get a freezer full of elk burgers. Much nicer not to have a tracking job and practice at even longer ranges helps with those shots.

Congratulations to your son nice shooting by the young man. In my opinion if you have a strapping young lad like that get him a nice 300 Weatherby with 180 TTSX bullets as a dedicated elk gun and that shot is routine with no questions about angles needed. Save the 25-06 for deer hunting pigs, sheep & other less than 600 lb animals.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hay ! 2five 7 what a great picture of that small valley looks like a super spot to kill elk ! thanks for posting this last picture. good luck , stay safe ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2five7
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Awesome! Where's that thumbs up emoji!
Kudos to that young man for some great shooting. Not hard to tell he has some trigger time.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 12 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,122
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.