Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I wait. Too much to go wrong. Yeah a person may make the shot. If you make it you say I told you so. If you don't, you feel like a dirt bag. Probably don't sleep a whole lot that night or the next. There's always tomorrow.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
iat 400 yards with a good 25 caliber rifle ,laying down with a bi-pod lots of summer practice , with a good scope i will make that shot all day long out of my single shot rifle as did that young man had done. and again congrats on a nice bull. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/20/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Congrats to your son! Nice shooting!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cv540
Interesting scenario. Enough daylight to get to the animal after the shot?

You can walk in the dark. You can't shoot in the dark.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berger Bullet you say?

I thought those were just for paper targets?

Learn something new every day.

Well done on a nice bull to the young man.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/02/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Booger man is out after dark.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tzone

Have skinned, loaded, and packed many, many critters after dark.

Hint, horses do not need flashlights, and they will take you back to the feed rack.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats on a very nice Bull!
Great team work knowing your equipment, Rifle set up, wind, etc.......................
Love the Video.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.
👆

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
👆
+ 10 true it all worked out perfectly but a less than perfect placement might have been a real rodeo. Your son might be a crack shot but in my book lady luck was holding his hand..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/03/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
25-06 on a 400 yd shot at an elk? I'm a subsistance hunter, the elk would be food in my freezer. If all I had was a 25-06 I'd use in with confidence ut not at a elk at 400yds. I don't need something to brag about, what I need is food in the freezer! matter of fact I wouldn't even take that 400yd shot with my 30-06, still need food in the freezer. I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge your using is irresponsible as hell! I have taken only one shot at big game in my life much oer 250 yds, it was 330yds on the range finder and just to say I did it! Pretty sorry reason for taking the shot.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Don , his rifle was most likely ZEROED at 400 when he pulled the trigger.

BPBR does not mean much with lasers and turrets.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DonFischer
… I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge you’re using is irresponsible as hell!
We all have our limitations! It’s good to know them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
… I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge you’re using is irresponsible as hell!
We all have our limitations! It’s good to know them.

Don't apply your limitations to others, Don

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25-06 on a 400 yd shot at an elk? I'm a subsistance hunter, the elk would be food in my freezer. If all I had was a 25-06 I'd use in with confidence ut not at a elk at 400yds. I don't need something to brag about, what I need is food in the freezer! matter of fact I wouldn't even take that 400yd shot with my 30-06, still need food in the freezer. I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge your using is irresponsible as hell! I have taken only one shot at big game in my life much oer 250 yds, it was 330yds on the range finder and just to say I did it! Pretty sorry reason for taking the shot.

Wow.

If poking a bull elk in the right spot @400yds stymies a hunter he should follow the example of the young man in this thread.

Put a bit of time into learning how to shoot.

It's not rocket science and 400yd shots on bulls are some thing every good elk hunter should be able to pull off as a given. eVERY sINGLE tIME.

Let me repeat. If you can't, on demand, deliver a bullet to elk vitals @400yds (Every Single Time) you need to get your lazy azz to the range and up you shooting skill level before you enter the elk woods with a tag.

To be fair using the term MPBR is a dead give away of a lack of shooting knowledge and skill.

Be Better, the elk deserve hunter who can shoot.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hungry much? laugh

# RangeTimeMatters

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Wow.

If poking a bull elk in the right spot @400yds stymies a hunter he should follow the example of the young man in this thread.

Put a bit of time into learning how to shoot.

It's not rocket science and 400yd shots on bulls are some thing every good elk hunter should be able to pull off as a given. eVERY sINGLE tIME.

Let me repeat. If you can't, on demand, deliver a bullet to elk vitals @400yds (Every Single Time) you need to get your lazy azz to the range and up you shooting skill level before you enter the elk woods with a tag.

To be fair using the term MPBR is a dead give away of a lack of shooting knowledge and skill.

Be Better, the elk deserve hunter who can shoot.

Fully agree. All 3 of my kids have now killed a bull at 400 or beyond, all with a single shot, all in their teenage years. If they can do it, anyone should be able to.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 2five7

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

What's funny is you post a scenario and question what people would do. When they answer you argue against them. What was the point of asking?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 10 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.