Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Originally Posted by 2five7
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

What's funny is you post a scenario and question what people would do. When they answer you argue against them. What was the point of asking?

He started a discussion. During the discussion he asked about how much experience you have on the subject of the discussion. Seems normal.

That said I got a kick out of both your screen names and the subject of the OP.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 2five7
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

What's funny is you post a scenario and question what people would do. When they answer you argue against them. What was the point of asking?

No arguing, just curious as to WHY you answered the way you did? I'm always curious to see if its from practical experience, or otherwise.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hunted deer before elk and based on different bullet construction, weight, shot angles, penetration, retained weight, etc I went away from softer, lighter jacketed bullets to tougher bonded ones.

For example I took a blacktail buck that was quartering away with a 130 BT. Left a huge hole in the side without much penetration, and lots of fragments. Had a similar shot a few years later on another blacktail using an Accubond, multiple broken ribs, tore up lung, big chunk of its heart gone, broken off shoulder, and exited.

Took elk with Accubonds for quite a while and while the bullets performed well, I wanted more penetration than I was getting from a 270. Broadside, easy. Quartering I wanted more. Went to 7 mags with 160 ABs, no issues.

Have stepped back to a 280AI mainly for elk with 145 LRXs, and use LRXs almost exclusively, with the exception of 150 TTSXs from a 308. Most deer haven't taken more than a few steps, if any, and though I've taken only a couple elk with them so far, I've had perfect results.

While I haven't been around 100 elk taken, not even close, I've taken enough deer and elk to prefer tougher and heavier (than 115 - 130) bullets.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hunted deer before elk and based on different bullet construction, weight, shot angles, penetration, retained weight, etc I went away from softer, lighter jacketed bullets to tougher bonded ones.

For example I took a blacktail buck that was quartering away with a 130 BT. Left a huge hole in the side without much penetration, and lots of fragments. Had a similar shot a few years later on another blacktail using an Accubond, multiple broken ribs, tore up lung, big chunk of its heart gone, broken off shoulder, and exited.

Took elk with Accubonds for quite a while and while the bullets performed well, I wanted more penetration than I was getting from a 270. Broadside, easy. Quartering I wanted more. Went to 7 mags with 160 ABs, no issues.

Have stepped back to a 280AI mainly for elk with 145 LRXs, and use LRXs almost exclusively, with the exception of 150 TTSXs from a 308. Most deer haven't taken more than a few steps, if any, and though I've taken only a couple elk with them so far, I've had perfect results.

While I haven't been around 100 elk taken, not even close, I've taken enough deer and elk to prefer tougher and heavier (than 115 - 130) bullets.

Thank you.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 26 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,081
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.