Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
COLT KING COBRA 357 MAG.

I inherited a Colt King Cobra revolver, 357 magnum, with a four inch barrel. It has become my favorite handgun, as the neoprene grips fits my hand like a glove. I think the balance of this gun is excellent, with the heavy barrel up front it tracks beautifully without a hint of barrel shake and the sights are prominently visible.

The double action is butter smooth and I can trigger it without disturbing the sights from the aim point. The single action is the best of all other revolvers I have; with it I can keep a coffee can bouncing around all day long at sixty yards distance.

I don�t know if the double action and single action of this revolver is typical of them all or if my father had worked on it himself, but I do know that after trying several revolvers it has become my personal favorite.

[Linked Image]

I have with the gun a Bianchi X15 shoulder holster, Uncle Mike�s inside-the-pants holster and a couple of HKS speed loaders. The X15 holster seems to have undergone considerable use; I recall my father using this gun to take does for the meat larder from his tree stand in our country property.

This is a great heirloom piece. In a world of automatic pistols it is indeeda little antiquated, slow and under capacity with only six rounds on board, but I doubt that many service pistols in use can be as accurate as this gun is.

Anyway I like it very much, it fits perfectly and I enjoy using it. I venture to guess that this is what it's all about; namely, being comfortable with one�s piece and enjoying its performance. This Colt King Cobra certainly does so for me.

Sincerely,
Pharaohawk

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the Campfire Pharoah. The King Cobras were the outgrowth of the newer Trooper series with a totally re-done lockwork as opposed to the old ones which were essentially a Python action. Many liked the newer Troopers even better. The King Cobra's weren't around long but were probably the top Troopers to be had. Congrats. I owned a Trooper Mk.III which I enjoyed very much. Sounds like you've got a winner.

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry for the missing picture, problem with the hosting site.

Here it is

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PHARAOHAWK 27 -" In a world of automatic pistols it is indeed a little antiquated, slow and under capacity with only six rounds on board,..."

Pharaohawk, I wouldn't be concerned about "slow, under capacity, antiquated," etc., if I were you. If you get in a fix and can't do it with six rounds of .357 Magnum ammo, you ain't gonna do it with more from a semi-auto.

Suppose that four or five bad guys tried to hurt you. You drag out that King Cobra and put a .357 125 grains hollowpoint through the briskets of the first two and all you are gonna see then from the other cretins are rearends & elbows as they fall all over each other trying to outrun their buds.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice unit Pharaohawk27. I like Colt double action revolvers.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The King Cobra is without doubt the strongest .357 model Colt put out,but it has a real weakness.

That would be that the fireing pin assembly as it is pressed into the frame(don't dry fire it)it's not like the Python which can be changed out easily (like a 1911)!

They rarely break but if it did,the gun would have to go to a colt shop where a special press would be required to reinstall it!

Bob

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
L.W.,

Originally Posted by Leanwolf
PHARAOHAWK 27 -" In a world of automatic pistols it is indeed a little antiquated, slow and under capacity with only six rounds on board,..."

Pharaohawk, I wouldn't be concerned about "slow, under capacity, antiquated," etc., if I were you. If you get in a fix and can't do it with six rounds of .357 Magnum ammo, you ain't gonna do it with more from a semi-auto.

Suppose that four or five bad guys tried to hurt you. You drag out that King Cobra and put a .357 125 grains hollowpoint through the briskets of the first two and all you are gonna see then from the other cretins are rearends & elbows as they fall all over each other trying to outrun their buds.

L.W.

How do you know this to be factual? Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?

I've used revolvers and semiautomatics for self-defense, and there's absolutely not a scintilla of doubt which one is superior, which is why cops no longer carry revolvers. Finally, consistent with the FBI handgun ammo tests, for self-defense, I'd use nothing less that 158 grain bullets if for some unknown reason I were to use my 4" .357 Mag for self-defense. But who knows, maybe the God only knows how many hours of professional firearms training I was mandated to attend was all for naught. But I don't think so!

In a gunfight, second place finishers finish last, dead last!

Merry Christmas,

Mando

Last edited by Mando; 12/19/07.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Pharaohawk27,

That's a beautiful weapon. I pray you're able to enjoy the heck out of it!

Merry Christmas,

Mando

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MANDO - [L.W.,] How do you know this to be factual? Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?

I've used revolvers and semiautomatics for self-defense, and there's absolutely not a scintilla of doubt which one is superior, which is why cops no longer carry revolvers. Finally, consistent with the FBI handgun ammo tests, for self-defense, I'd use nothing less that 158 grain bullets if for some unknown reason I were to use my 4" .357 Mag for self-defense. But who knows, maybe the God only knows how many hours of professional firearms training I was mandated to attend was all for naught. But I don't think so!

In a gunfight, second place finishers finish last, dead last!"

Mando, it seems to me you're trying to get into a urination contest.

If you want to believe that a man carrying a good .357 Magnum, and having to use it to shoot a couple of attacking gangbangers in the chest, would then be killed because the other two or three gangbangers would never be scared and scatter but just keep on a'coming, blasting away, and the man with the .357 Magnum would not be able to continue shooting at them, go right ahead. But with your favorite semi-auto, you'd just cap all four or five of them, right quick!

Actually in a real life scenario, if there were four or five gangbangers, each armed with a handgun or shotgun or AK, the man with the .357 -- or whichever semi-automatic pistol you choose -- will be dead. That would include you, no matter how many hours you were required to attend peace officer firearms training. Simple as that.

As for the difference between a 158 grains .357 bullet blowing through a bad guy's heart, as opposed to a 125 grains h.p. .357 bullet doing the same, I do not think in real life, it would matter. As for the FBI report, I'd have to drag out my book on the 1990 bullets tests done by the FBI and I don't know where it is. That book, along with quite a few others, was the latest I got on that subject when I went through the FBI's Firearms Instuctor School in 1992. Emphasis was on bullet placement, rather than differences between grains of the same caliber bullets.

As for the semi-automatic being "better" than a revolver and that is why cops have all gone to the pistol.... well, that too, is debatable. In addition to politics, a lot of departments changed over because, uhh, well, everyone else is, so why not? Gotta be modern, you know.

The night I heard the memo being read at briefing that our department was going to dump the issued S&W Combat Masterpiece revolvers and go to the Beretta 92FS, I turned to my partner and said, "Well, now instead of missing a bad guy with six, we can miss him with sixteen." And it happened... and does to this day, happen.

You carry whatever makes you happy. I say again, however, the original poster's Colt King Cobra .357 Magnum, will be more than sufficient to handle whatever REAL LIFE self defense scenario that might confront him. So long as he shoots accurately.

Since you're throwing out Bill Jordan quotes, here's another one of his, "You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Leanwolf,

I am not getting into a pissing contest with you. I have not quoted Bill Jordan. In fact, I have never read Bill Jordan.

I am just merely calling into question unsubstantiated assertions you've made such as:

"If you want to believe that a man carrying a good .357 Magnum, and having to use it to shoot a couple of attacking gangbangers in the chest, would then be killed because the other two or three gangbangers would never be scared and scatter but just keep on a'coming, blasting away, and the man with the .357 Magnum would not be able to continue shooting at them, go right ahead. But with your favorite semi-auto, you'd just cap all four or five of them, right quick!"

Where in God's name did you come up with this pronouncement? Fact of the matter is 'bangers train. Sadly they may be better with weapons than many, many "shooters". I have seen training film depicting 'bangers training. I will never opine that tactical training will ensure survival in a gunfight, but I will opine it will improve the odds of surviving significantly.

Then you've got this one going on:

"As for the semi-automatic being "better" than a revolver and that is why cops have all gone to the pistol.... well, that too, is debatable. In addition to politics, a lot of departments changed over because, uhh, well, everyone else is, so why not? Gotta be modern, you know."

This is baloney, at least as I know it. In both agencies for which I have worked, handgun selection was based upon extensive research. To opine that law enforcement agencies have selected handguns based upon fad is ridiculous. In fact, I'd love to see you prove this claim of yours.

Moreover, how do you know your:

"As for the difference between a 158 grains .357 bullet blowing through a bad guy's heart, as opposed to a 125 grains h.p. .357 bullet doing the same, I do not think in real life, it would matter. As for the FBI report, I'd have to drag out my book on the 1990 bullets tests done by the FBI and I don't know where it is. That book, along with quite a few others, was the latest I got on that subject when I went through the FBI's Firearms Instuctor School in 1992. Emphasis was on bullet placement, rather than differences between grains of the same caliber bullets."

is true? Fact of the matter is in gunfights emphasis is on survival, and that means NOT GETTING SHOT!!! Don't forget that if you die in a gunfight you lose regardless of what happens to the bad guy(s)!!!

A quality revolver of large caliber is a decent self-defense weapon, but they are not on par with quality semiautomatics. There are just too many tactical advantages of a semiautomatic handgun to select a revolver for self-defense use. But if you feel comfortable with a revolver, then by all means that is what you should use.

Merry Christmas to you, LW,

Mando

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mando, we could go off on this for a long time. You've made some incredible statements. You try and sidetrack the discussion by changing the focus. I did not get into police tactics, but you did. The discussion was about whether or not a good .357 revolver was quite sufficient for almost any self defense situation a civilian would find himself in.
You turned it into a cop vs. gangsters issue, to try and make your point. Right here is your quote. " MANDO - Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?"

Plus you misquoted me. I said "... put the h.p. bullet through the briskets of a couple..."

Very few thugs will stand up against a man who is not only shooting at them, but who has killed a couple of their "tough" buds.

I don't know where you've been but if you are not aware of politics being involved in many decisions that are made in police and sheriffs' organizations, you just haven't been paying much attention. Just look at the various agencies that wanted to start using hollow point bullets as they were more effective than either lead round nose or FMJ bullets. The politicians in the City Councils, Police Commissions, and County Supervisors, in some areas, refused to allow the cops to carry h.p. ammo because "...it was just too devastating against the poor criminals." Proof? How about that very issue with LAPD? (Now they carry h.ps., but for years, they could not... because of POLITICS!)

Ever heard of the North Hollywood Shootout?? LAPD officers were not allowed to have AR15s in their patrol cars, they did not even have an AR15 in the freaking station!! Had to go to a nearby gunstore and beg for a couple of ARs and mags. Why?? POLITICS!! LAPD cops shouldn't have those evil, horrible assault weapons, said the Mayor and Police Commission. POLITICS.

Sure, agencies' armorers and field cops test equipment. I've been involved in it. But it is extremely naive to say that "politics" from above does not play a role in the selection of SOME equipment, and that sometimes includes guns and ammo.

As you made this an issue of "cops vs. gangstas," I can tell you that even though some gangstas will practice, not that many do, other than a few rounds at a garbage can, or maybe a trip for a few hours to a range someplace.

One of the major problems with the cops using high capacity handguns is the "spray and pray," or "hose the foes" syndrome.

When the adrenalin is flowing and fight begins, many cops just start firing as fast as they can, and empty the magazine. Sometimes they hit the bad guy; sometimes they don't. I know of several peace officer shootings where four or five cops with semi-autos fired upward of 125 rounds at a susupect, and barely wounded him. I know of others where again, "spray and pray" was the usual response against one person. It's infectuous. Under heavy stress, one cop fires and the others just start capping rounds until their semi-auto pistols run dry. Quick reload and "hose the foes."

Perhaps that's good "tactics" to you but it results in bystanders sometimes being wounded, bad pubic image of cops, and lawsuits against the department.

MANDO - "Where in God's name did you come up with this pronouncement?"

Mando, you came up with that yourself, so don't try and turn it around. You turned it into a cop vs. gangsters issue, to try and make your point. Right here is your quote. " MANDO - Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?"

So suddenly, rather than in my scenario of four or five thugs trying to roust a civilian, it's well armed gangstas attacking like well trained ninja assassins. Two go down, shot through the heart with a .357, but the others just keep on coming. Your scenario, not mine.

Very, very few civilians are going to run into a group of well trained, well armed gangstas. Cops have to go into those dangerous areas. Civilians, ordinarily, do not.

My original post had to do with the poster talking about whether or not his "old fashioned" .357 would do in a self defense situation. I said it certainly would. You disagreed.

I could not possibly care less what a man or woman carries for self defense, so long as he or she knows how to use it, and has the determination to use it. I like semi-autos just as well as revolvers. But when some "expert" advises a person who might not be very familiar with firearms, "Nope, that's no good! Gotta have what I carry, or you'll likely die for sure if you're attacked!!," I find that somewhat egotistical and not at all accurate.

By the way, Bill Jordan, U.S. Border Patrol, did quite well with a S&W 19 .357 Magnum.

And a Merry Christmas to you, also.

L.W.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
LW:

Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Mando, we could go off on this for a long time. You've made some incredible statements. You try and sidetrack the discussion by changing the focus. I did not get into police tactics, but you did. The discussion was about whether or not a good .357 revolver was quite sufficient for almost any self defense situation a civilian would find himself in.
You turned it into a cop vs. gangsters issue, to try and make your point. Right here is your quote. " MANDO - Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?"

Plus you misquoted me. I said "... put the h.p. bullet through the briskets of a couple..."

Very few thugs will stand up against a man who is not only shooting at them, but who has killed a couple of their "tough" buds.

I don't know where you've been but if you are not aware of politics being involved in many decisions that are made in police and sheriffs' organizations, you just haven't been paying much attention. Just look at the various agencies that wanted to start using hollow point bullets as they were more effective than either lead round nose or FMJ bullets. The politicians in the City Councils, Police Commissions, and County Supervisors, in some areas, refused to allow the cops to carry h.p. ammo because "...it was just too devastating against the poor criminals." Proof? How about that very issue with LAPD? (Now they carry h.ps., but for years, they could not... because of POLITICS!)

Ever heard of the North Hollywood Shootout?? LAPD officers were not allowed to have AR15s in their patrol cars, they did not even have an AR15 in the freaking station!! Had to go to a nearby gunstore and beg for a couple of ARs and mags. Why?? POLITICS!! LAPD cops shouldn't have those evil, horrible assault weapons, said the Mayor and Police Commission. POLITICS.

Sure, agencies' armorers and field cops test equipment. I've been involved in it. But it is extremely naive to say that "politics" from above does not play a role in the selection of SOME equipment, and that sometimes includes guns and ammo.

As you made this an issue of "cops vs. gangstas," I can tell you that even though some gangstas will practice, not that many do, other than a few rounds at a garbage can, or maybe a trip for a few hours to a range someplace.

One of the major problems with the cops using high capacity handguns is the "spray and pray," or "hose the foes" syndrome.

When the adrenalin is flowing and fight begins, many cops just start firing as fast as they can, and empty the magazine. Sometimes they hit the bad guy; sometimes they don't. I know of several peace officer shootings where four or five cops with semi-autos fired upward of 125 rounds at a susupect, and barely wounded him. I know of others where again, "spray and pray" was the usual response against one person. It's infectuous. Under heavy stress, one cop fires and the others just start capping rounds until their semi-auto pistols run dry. Quick reload and "hose the foes."

Perhaps that's good "tactics" to you but it results in bystanders sometimes being wounded, bad pubic image of cops, and lawsuits against the department.

MANDO - "Where in God's name did you come up with this pronouncement?"

Mando, you came up with that yourself, so don't try and turn it around. You turned it into a cop vs. gangsters issue, to try and make your point. Right here is your quote. " MANDO - Also, I am curious of what you think the other four will be doing while you're concentrating on "putting hollowpoints through the brisket" of merely one?"

So suddenly, rather than in my scenario of four or five thugs trying to roust a civilian, it's well armed gangstas attacking like well trained ninja assassins. Two go down, shot through the heart with a .357, but the others just keep on coming. Your scenario, not mine.

Very, very few civilians are going to run into a group of well trained, well armed gangstas. Cops have to go into those dangerous areas. Civilians, ordinarily, do not.

My original post had to do with the poster talking about whether or not his "old fashioned" .357 would do in a self defense situation. I said it certainly would. You disagreed.

I could not possibly care less what a man or woman carries for self defense, so long as he or she knows how to use it, and has the determination to use it. I like semi-autos just as well as revolvers. But when some "expert" advises a person who might not be very familiar with firearms, "Nope, that's no good! Gotta have what I carry, or you'll likely die for sure if you're attacked!!," I find that somewhat egotistical and not at all accurate.

By the way, Bill Jordan, U.S. Border Patrol, did quite well with a S&W 19 .357 Magnum.

And a Merry Christmas to you, also.

L.W.

You're a troll. No self-respecting "expert" of tactical knowledge would make such moronic statements, especially the hallmark of trolls, "...spray and pray, hose the foes." And the equally moronic, "...shoot 'em in the brisket..." is classic trollism. So you can remain snug in Trollville and I'll remain in the real REAL WORLD.

Merry Christmas, LW,

Mando

Last edited by Mando; 12/20/07.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So, about that King Cobra. . .

Not my favorite, but I like any quality American revolver. Sounds like the original poster has a winner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MANDO - "You're a troll. No self-respecting "expert" of tactical knowledge would make such moronic statements, especially the hallmark of trolls, "...spray and pray, hose the foes." And the equally moronic, "...shoot 'em in the brisket..." is classic trollism. So you can remain snug in Trollville and I'll remain in the real REAL WORLD."

Mando, if you had a real brain, you'd take it out and play ping pong with it.

L.W.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You've got a nice revolver. I had always wanted a Python, but could afford one, got a Trooper instead back in 81, and now i can't find one. Oh well! maybe i'll run across a good Python.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1100mag, 62 invisible), 3,731 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,763
Posts18,535,773
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.