-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago I miked some Herters bullets in one of their factory boxes I bought from their Mitchel SD store that were supposed to be .284 but actually were .294. They really caused excessive pressure in the 7mm REM mag they were fired in. One shot was all it took and we stopped and found the problem.

Rolly
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the same problem with new SIG brass and some 120gr Nosler ballistic tips. Started seating long and incrementally turning the seating screw down. At each .020 step seating became harder, finally bullet didnt move. Pulled it with a pair of side cutters, bullet was scored terribly. This brand of bullets are razor sharp at the boat tail break. Tiny bit of lube and a VLD chamfer tool solved it. No problem with fired brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Go to wally world and buy a cheap azzed RCBS FL die set. Learn to adjust it and load till your hearts content.

Oh man, did you just piss on Redding dies? I thought they were the cat's azz crazy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your new brass is soft and your size die is making the neck too tight by a few thou.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Did you size them without the decapping pin and expander ball? If so, the neck size will be much too small to seat a bullet.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Your new brass is soft and your size die is making the neck too tight by a few thou.
How do you figure it's too tight from the pics he posted of measurements? Please elucidate me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well either the neck is too tight or the bullet is too large. If it only has 1-2 thou of resistance it should slip in perfectly. If all of the measurments are spot on then the brass is very soft and will harden after a few firings. Getting them loaded without crushing them is a bit tricky and some graphite dry lube will help a bit.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lapua brass is not soft unless the O.P way over annealed it.. whttail in MT is spot on.
One of 2 things is my guess either improper die set up or the die is not cut right.

Last edited by sherm_61; 10/09/23.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I called Redding today and explained the issue. The guy I spoke with had me measure the expander ball to ensure it is the right size. He also confirmed that I am using the right dies (which I am). He said this happens with shooters that anneal brass after every firing. He told me to use dry lube generously and chamfer more than what I was and after the first firing I shouldn’t have the problem.
I took the rounds that didn’t collapse to the range today and they shot well so I guess we shall see.

Thanks for the input and help trouble shooting the issue.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your pic of the FL sized shows .286 and the brass should have a neck thickness of .013 or so. This would give .260 for the mouth which is .002 neck tension which should be fine. If the necks are thicker that might be an issue, otherwise I'm with the others and its the seater.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scbigben
I called Redding today and explained the issue. The guy I spoke with had me measure the expander ball to ensure it is the right size. He also confirmed that I am using the right dies (which I am). He said this happens with shooters that anneal brass after every firing. He told me to use dry lube generously and chamfer more than what I was and after the first firing I shouldn’t have the problem.
I took the rounds that didn’t collapse to the range today and they shot well so I guess we shall see.

Thanks for the input and help trouble shooting the issue.
Did you anneal them? I didn't see where you posted you had.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
To eliminate the easy, have you made sure the bullets are 0.264"?

That’s my line of thinking also. A couple of incorrect diameter bullets in the box of 0.264. Maybe 0.277. Nosler also makes a 0.277 130gr Accubond.

Happened to me not that long ago with some Hornady bullets.

Also the seating stem seems like it really created a ring /edge in the bullets. How much force did you use to seat those?

Last edited by Stammster; 10/10/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless i missed it, did he ever find out the problem? I had a similar situation, not near as bad as this, but my seating die was set wrong. I have the Hornady Lock n load press and once my dies are set, it's just a quick check and start. I ended up pulling the decapping pins out of all my dies because i bought a dedicated decapping die to punch primers. Keeps your dies clean. After pulling the decapping pin, I forgot to reset the die in the lock n load collar. My screw up and did very similar to this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=scbigben] for some reason I am crushing the shoulders of some of the brass while seating.

Last time that happened to me, I was trying to put .257 projectiles into .243 brass.

..............................................................................[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...................................................................

Ed
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well none of the gurus saw it the way I did.. so I'll share my outlook on it...and how I avoid that problem.

Even if it is new brass I neck size it with a Lee neck sizing die. Pretty much in all my reloading, I use a body die to size the body, after using the Lee neck sizing die to size the neck. About 80% of the time, I anneal the brass each reload.

I don't rush anything reloading... I see too many guys ( for some reason) slam home their ram on their reloading presses. I lower mine, easily, and all the way down and then back up. If I feel any resistance that is wrong, I stop right there.

I also hold the bullet case, pushed all the way back with my thumb in the shell holder, until the neck is up into the die body.

Crushed shoulder, if the bullet was the right bullet, then the reloader either/or, didn't have that bullet straight in shell holder, and/or was pulling down on his ram too hard and fast to seat the bullet.

For some reason I've seen too many handloaders, for some reason, jerking down the ram too fast the same way they jerk the trigger anticipating recoil at the bench or when they are pulling the trigger...

Pretty much the same thing, is if you try to drive at freeway speeds around town, things are bound to end up getting bent.

but this is way I've developed a pattern of reloading, after experiencing what the OP is experiencing, when I was teaching myself to do this stuff...being self taught is a pain in the anus, but you sure learn to avoid doing it the same way.... pain and frustration are a great teacher in the long run...

go slower and things will spend less time getting bent up...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,386
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.