Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With all the Positive reviews of Tisas there was an obvious need for a review. So I ordered a !911A1 as plain Jane as they come. Intentions are to shoot hundreds of rounds through it and a bunch of other 1911s. And then try to figure out what each has and what everyone thinks they should.

Feel free to let me know what you think I should be looking at.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd try to find one of the parkerized models, Tisas does parkerizing very well. They also do Cerakoating exceptionally well, but parkerizing is more traditional.

For various reasons, I don't care for GI trimmed pistols, but I can heartily recommend the Tank Commander model, they're favorably priced at most places, and the parkerizing is very nicely done.

My favorites are the Stingrays, though. I have two, a 9mm and a .45, and the cerakoating is superbly done on them.

GI flavored guns usually bite me, so I'm not a real fan of them. Tisas has slightly reshaped their grip safety so it's less likely to bite, but I'd rather have their beavertail.

I HAVE had to replace the plunger springs on both Stingrays, as the provided plunger spring seemed too weak and the safety was too easy to thumb off, but the Tank Commander's plunger spring was okay, and still is.

I like them a bunch, they're pretty well done pistols, but like any other 1911, they'll likely need a tweak or two to make them "yours".

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the insight. They were simply too highly regarded at their price point to not see what they can do. I do not expect them to compete with a Les Baer, but it will be interesting to see how they stack up against the run of the mill...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only Tisas 1911 I have ever handled is the one I own. It's 10mm, full size. I was surprised at how nice the machining is on the inside. I thought it was a bit "above and beyond." I (and presumably others here) would be interested in what you think once you've examined yours.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I still want to get one of those chrome commanders in .38 Super/9mm Parabellum.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have extreme lust in my heart for a D10. Until I get it I will be shooting my s&w m&p2.0

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure like mine...and it won't get any less expensive than it is now.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I sure like mine...and it won't get any less expensive than it is now.
I bought my USGI Tisas when they first appeared on the US market for $300.00. Amazing deal. Great gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

That will be my next Tisa purchase. Still haven’t been able to lay my hand in one, and my LGS has not been able to locate one.

I bought the Parkarized USGI version when they first came out for $279. Absolutely love it. Like RiverRider mentioned, the machining and slide to frame fit are impressive. Mine locks up and shoots as well as just about any other 1911 I own and at a fraction of the price.

Noticed the other day that PSA had the Cericote GI versions on sale for like $ 299.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/10/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

That will be my next Tisa purchase. Still haven’t been able to lay my hand in one, and my LGS has not been able to locate one.

I bought the Parkarized USGI version when they first came out for $279. Absolutely love it. Like RiverRider mentioned, the machining and slide to frame fit are impressive. Mine locks up and shoots as well as just about any other 1911 I own and at a fraction of the price.

Noticed the other day that PSA had the Cericote GI versions on sale for like $ 299.

Not in love with the sights on the chrome Commander and it doesn't look like you can do anything with them, as it doesn't appear that they are dovetailed in. Am I wrong?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mine cost $384, all in for the same gun. Gunbroker...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I saw that, think they were 9mm. still a hell of a good price for a solid pistol.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Picked up one cheap a while back. Mainly for a range piece, had a few jams in the first trip but I'm pretty sure that was mag related. 300-400 rounds since mix of hardball and HP no issues. Hits where you aim. Just as good as my Kimber which isn't saying much. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been contemplating using one as a donor for a winter project.

Love to know if all the holes are the right size and in the right place along with feed ramp angle etc.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Not in love with the sights on the chrome Commander and it doesn't look like you can do anything with them, as it doesn't appear that they are dovetailed in. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, the front sight is staked, old school, like most 1911s used to be. The chromed Commander is basically their Tank Commander with a different finish. I have a Tank Commander in 9mm, and it's a lot of fun to shoot, the Parkerizing is very good, and the sights are easy to see, unlike the chromed gun, most likely. I really like that T/C, it shoots softly, and fairly well, considering that there's no match bushing or anything like that. It's a solid piece of machinery, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

You're not wrong, the front sight is staked, old school, like most 1911s used to be. The chromed Commander is basically their Tank Commander with a different finish. I have a Tank Commander in 9mm, and it's a lot of fun to shoot, the Parkerizing is very good, and the sights are easy to see, unlike the chromed gun, most likely. I really like that T/C, it shoots softly, and fairly well, considering that there's no match bushing or anything like that. It's a solid piece of machinery, though.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The 10mm D10 looks interesting.

I am looking at 1911's in 10mm; I'll have to give this a closer look.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
The 10mm D10 looks interesting.

I am looking at 1911's in 10mm; I'll have to give this a closer look.

StarchedCover

I'd have opted for a Delta Elite...that's what I had been drawn to for years before I finally decided to get on with it, but the more I read about it---meaning things ordinary everyday owners such as ourselves had to say about it, I became aware of hit-and-miss (no pun intended, but it sure is fitting) accuracy with the Delta Elite. Being as well acquainted as I am with my own luck, I decided it was not to be a delta Elite unless I could shoot it before I bought it and those opportunities are not easy to come by. After looking at other options for a few weeks I decided to give the Tisas D10 a try. I was not disappointed, and in fact I was pleasantly surprised.

That's just my opinion based on my own sample-of-one experience.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

You are correct in that the sights SUCK.

I’ll still buy one though. Heck of a combo Commander for the price!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (257man, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,690
Posts18,534,494
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.