Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, it’s finally upon us. I feel like every year I get so busy that the thing I love to do most creeps up on me and surprises me and leaves me scrambling to catch up. Spent last week in Montana chasing deer and elk with my bow. Out of shape was the take home message there although the mountains are beautiful and I love exploring up there. Two grouse and general exhaustion is all I have to show for that trip, but it was wonderful

This weekend though I got to take my kids on a youth deer hunt. My brother in law and nieces were there too, my nieces also had tags. 4 buck tags, 4 young women (12-15), and 2.5 days to hunt the scrub mesquite and holly and manzanita foothills near my hometown. My dad was able to help us most of the time. Unfortunately my brother is laid up after ankle surgery so he missed out and will miss the entire hutning season

The area we hunted is a transition area that holds both mule deer and Coues whitetail, tags were good for both either species. First day we glassed from a knob in the high foothills which is mostly Coues country although we catch mulies in there too from time to time. First morning was quiet and hot, high 80’s and sunny. Mid day we visited my brother at his house and took naps. We split up for the evening and didn’t see much then either. On the way out we spotted some mulies crossing the road in the same spot we caught them last time we had this hunt. We pulled over to look them over and sure enough we found a little buck. We set up as the buck got clear of a mesquite tree and my oldest daughter Jill sent a 120gr TTSX through his heart at 90 yards. Funky buck, the club side is still soft and growing, warm to the touch. The base was loose and maybe broken, dunno if he would have ever hardened and shed that side. The forky side was hardened and most of the velvet was off. Anyway, Jill’s first Mulie:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Next morning we split up again and James took his daughters on a sneak after a buck they found up in the foothills. They ended up getting him, small Coues buck. Kacey's first buck:

Some cloud cover moved in so we could hunt all day which was good because we had two more tags to fill. I took the two girls who still has tags to a knoll I’d glassed that morning that looked like it would offer a view to the low foothills as they gave way to the low country. We glassed about 15 mule deer all does. Finally with an hour of light left and after I was sure I’d looked everywhere, three deer came up out of the bottom of a wash full of mesquite and holly brambles. Two does and a forky. They were on the move and we moved down to a smaller knoll that I hoped would offer us a shot if they kept their travel line. We got down there and couldn’t find them. I was about to get worried when my daughter Jenna found them. Or at least, found some deer. Still not sure if the buck was the same one I had originally seen because now there were 7 deer (and definitely there were only 3 when I saw them come out of the wash). Whatever the case, we had seven deer and one was a forky moving on the hillside across the ravine from us. She set up on it and said she felt confident she could kill him. She made a great shot at 230 yards and the 7mm-08 dropped that buck in his tracks. Jenna’s first buck:

Pack out was heavy, gutted him and cut his legs off and was able to stuff him into the pack otherwise whole. I’m out of shape and getting old but I made it, tuckered out though.

We tried to find Kaylei a buck this morning but didn’t pan out. All in all a great weekend. I’m very proud of my girls, they made great shots and I love spending time with them. Jill and Kaylei have cow elk tags next weekend so hopefully we’ll have more stories to tell next week!

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
LOVE it. Great job getting them out and helping them be successful.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck yeah! Sounds like you guys had a blast and brought home many good eats.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats to the girls, that's awesome!

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Awesome !

Looking forward to pics of elk !

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What an adventure. Good luck next week.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thats way better than great. Congrats to all. The drop horn needs to go on the wall for sure. A tip if ya dont already do it. write where,when,how ect on a paper and put on the back of the plack ya mount the skull to. I still remember mine but my Pops is starting to have a lil bit of trouble.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Awesome!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very fruitful 2.5 days - congrats all around.

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard work + good memories! Good deal.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome! Thanks for bringing us along!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Mate, you know how I feel about you & the way you're bringing your girls up !

Fantastic result.

Looking forward to their elk stories, next week.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a great hunt you had. Congrats to all involved. Lots of firsts!!!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Good for your 3 girls... Did you ever get that muzzleloader ?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
WTG Ladies and Mentors!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats wonderful!
The smiling faces say it all.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good job guys, love the girls rocking the classic "Stearley smile" (trademark pending). See you soon buddy!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Awesome, love to see the kids getting it done. Great job. My favorite hunts are with the kids and grandkids.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all. Elk story soon ish. Butchering like crazy trying to catch up

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.