Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just read an article about a Freedom Arms Model 97 in one of the gun rags. The author made the gun sound like the best thing since sliced bread, as if he were simply a shill for the company.

Is the Freedom Arms revolver worth the nearly $3K they are charging for it? I'm a casual shooter, and do not compete, but i do appreciate excellence. I've read a number of comments from folks who love their FA revolvers, but does anyone have anything less than stellar to report about them? Any downsides, other than their hefty price tags?

Vacillating over whether I should put them on my "gotta have one" list. I have a tuned Ruger Blackhawk that shoots lights-out, and i wonder if the FA is seriously worth four times the Blackhawk.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned a few of them and they are, in my opinion, the finest single action revolver ever made. Check out used ones on some of the gun sites to save some $$$.

No downsides except tight tolerances may mean more cleaning.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a model 97 in .45. Colt. As a Wyoming resident I had to have at least one. Its cylinder locked up with a Swiss safe. It was a pleasure to own something made with that kind of pride.

I didn’t enjoy shooting heavy loads with it. The grips were kind of small for my hand and the trigger guard would give me a pretty good rap. A few years ago I decided to purge my safe queens in favor of guns I actually shoot, so I sold it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The vast majority of my shooting is .22lr so naturally that’s what I went with.

It certainly won’t test the strength that FA is known for but it sure allows me to fully appreciate the quality they also hang their hat on
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had 5 or 6 FA revolvers over the years. I used to be able to find like new Premier Grade guns for under $2K on the used gun market, but they're 25-40% more these days. A BFR or Super Blackhawk fills that need for me now.

Last edited by Biebs; 10/11/23.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Been pondering a 97 .45 Colt lately.

It seems like an insane price, but thinking about the $500ish I paid for a Bisley 20 years ago plus the $500ish I paid Hamilton Bowen to go through it, $2800 doesn’t sound quite as bad….

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have owned two. They were both excellent high quality, if not semi-custom, in their build and function. The only negative as you point out is the cost. Have you looked at the cost of Ed Brown or Nighthawk 1911? They may not be that far out line if you want top end firearms.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have several FA-83s most chambered in 454 and 1 chambered in 475 Linbaugh and 1 in 500 JRH.

Only you can decide if their are worth the price or not.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Owned numerous freedoms over the years. They are nice, but are not the nicest single actions made. They arent a custom. Ive had one that was so tight in tolerance, that the cylinder would bind after shooting 2 cylinders. These days i cant find a reason not to own a bfr or if thats not enough, go full custom

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned several 83 Premier 454's over the years. First one purchased new in the late '80s cost me $1k. My current one I bought used with a 2x Leupold for $1200 in 2009. I only bought it because the price seemed too good to be true. They were selling used for $17-1800 (unscoped) at the time.

The only negative for me was best accuracy was always at maximum loads which I got tired of shooting all the time. I never was able to get as good of accuracy with lighter loads. These days, I load mid-level loads and accuracy is similar to my Ruger SA's, which is as good as I can shoot anymore. At 62, I'm not steady enough and eyes aren't good enough to realize the full accuracy potential...

Last edited by JGray; 10/11/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m not a fan of the 97, rapped and bloodied my knuckle too many times. I bought an 83. Then another. And another. And another. They are tight. They must be kept clean. They shoot best at full throttle. Lead most likely won’t go through the throats without sizing. Accuracy? Buy one, find out for yourself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Owned maybe 6-7 over the years. As far as fit and finish they have no equal. Comparing them to a Ruger is like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus. A full out custom costing many thousand of dollars may feel better in the hand but it would be close.
Accuracy wise? Yes, they are very accurate. But over the last 10 years I have learned a BFR is just as accurate at about 40% of the cost.
I currently own 4 BFR's and no Freedom Arms.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Daveman
I just read an article about a Freedom Arms Model 97 in one of the gun rags. The author made the gun sound like the best thing since sliced bread, as if he were simply a shill for the company.
Might be both, but I'd lean to the FA..
Is the Freedom Arms revolver worth the nearly $3K they are charging for it? I'm a casual shooter, and do not compete, but i do appreciate excellence. I've read a number of comments from folks who love their FA revolvers, but does anyone have anything less than stellar to report about them? Any downsides, other than their hefty price tags?

Vacillating over whether I should put them on my "gotta have one" list. I have a tuned Ruger Blackhawk that shoots lights-out, and i wonder if the FA is seriously worth four times the Blackhawk.
IMHO, it is..

I have one. Put that in one hand, the Ruger in the other, and you'll quickly discern a serious difference... No disrespect to the Ruger; I have a few of 'em and I have no regrets on the ownership.. But the one FA I have is simply akin to comparing a Rolex to a Timex...

I'd sell my Rugers before I'd sell the FA; which might be the very last handgun I'd ever let go..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/12/23.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For a top class revolver shooters in silhouette competition, the 353 and 252 FA silhouette guns allows a top class shooter to compete in four gun aggregate competition with a single gun, without giving up anything to a production or an unlimited gun. It is probably the only revolver in the world that can do that.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It really boils down to personal preference. The power to weight ratio is pretty amazing especially with the m97 - yeah I know some folks just don't like the grip and that's just fine, everyone is different.

A 4 1/4" M97 45 Colt that weighs 35 oz delivers a 320gr SWC or FNGC at 1,140 fps is a pretty impressive piece of hardware and yet rides comfortably however you want to carry it - the perfect packin' pistol?

Same can be said of 5" - 6" M83s at +- 50 oz.

Folks will tout the BFR - never owned one, but handled one - at 64 plus oz it was way bigger/heavier than I want a handgun to be - personal pref again.

Spent a lot of time behind a M83 475 Linebaugh and M97 45 Colt and would highly recommend either one (M97 M83) - the three most accurate revolvers I've ever owned were a 6" M83 .454C, 5" M83 500JRH and a 5 1/2" .44 spcl M97.. Again it's all about personal preference.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Only you can decide if they are worth the price.

Paul

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those are nice, Paul.

I like the octagonal barrels, which is an extra cost.

I have a FA 97 in .357. I shoot 170 gr. and 180 gr. bullets, had to get a higher front sight to maintain POI. FA knew exactly what I needed and swapping was easy with an Allen wrench.

I have a three screw SBH Ruger, that Jim Stroh line bored from .44 mag to .45 Colt, fit a 6" Shilen barrel, a long steel ejector. I did a trigger job using a piece of a nail inside the trigger return spring as a trigger stop. Fit the stag grips, installed the Ruger Medallions. It's very accurate; it's just not a FA.

To handle a FA, you see how it's built like a tank, locks up like a bank vault. FA is one of a kind, in a class by itself.

Is it worth the cost? To me, yes. But as posted, it's something the buyer has to determine for himself.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I view it this way…..kinda like the difference between a Rolex and a Timex! Both will give you the time of day….but the Rolex is simply a much more refined machine of superior workmanship! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Daveman

I owned a 4" 97 chambered in .44 Special. Round butt and ebony micarta.

When I found it and bought it I thought I had found nirvana in the single action world, but after shooting it and carrying it a good bit, it started to leave me cold.

The tolerances were (for me) too tight. You cannot thumb them as casually as you can a Colt or Ruger. They are tank like and by all accounts will remain that way for a long, long time. The chambers are cut so tight that I would often have to push on the cartridge HARD to get it fully seated to the point that the cylinders would rotate. This annoyed me greatly.

The tight tolerances are like any aspect of engineering. While annoying, they also yield extreme accuracy that you'd not expect from a 4" single action. However, I cannot take advantage of that type of accuracy because I can't hold 1" groups in the offhand with a handgun. And I'm an exceptional shot with a handgun.

Another aspect that I found irritating was that I needed a different front sight to get it zeroed. And Freedom Arms don't drop that schit in the mail for free. I promise... LOL

Yes they are worth what they cost. Anything built to those standards is worth the price of admission. But it was not worth it for me because I'd much rather drop my rounds into my well worn Flattop and shoot the hell out of it in a way that I think a single action should be shot.

in summary: Worth it? Yes. For me? No.

This is as honest of an answer I can give you.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Exactly.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Meant to copy the comparison between a Rolex and Timex. Perfect analogy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.