Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
SS isn’t even considered in my retirement plans. I’m sure it’ll be gone or at least means tested by the time I’m eligible. I’m self employed so it really pisses me off that the government steals 15% of my gross income right off the top, no iffs ands or buts.

It was never a part of mine either, but I'll take it and take it as early as I can. My wife will hit 62 next year and she will take it as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SS isn’t even considered in my retirement plans. I’m sure it’ll be gone or at least means tested by the time I’m eligible. I’m self employed so it really pisses me off that the government steals 15% of my gross income right off the top, no iffs ands or buts.
I doubt that it will ever be gone outright or even means tested. It’s a government program. The government loves government programs, especially ones that allow them to control the money of private citizens. Why would they ever give that up?

More likely IMO the government will continue to do what they did this year. “Give” a tiny raise that does next to nothing to keep up with real inflation and expect the people to be grateful to government as the government steals from them via inflation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Inflation ticks upward to 3.7% as the Fed's fight to tame high consumer prices rolls on

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I doubt that it will ever be gone outright or even means tested. It’s a government program. The government loves government programs, especially ones that allow them to control the money of private citizens. Why would they ever give that up?

More likely IMO the government will continue to do what they did this year. “Give” a tiny raise that does next to nothing to keep up with real inflation and expect the people to be grateful to government as the government steals from them via inflation.

There’s already a de facto means testing presently in force. It’s tied to your AGI. Over a certain amount and your monthly benefit is reduced.

It got me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard on the radio today that SNAP is receiving a substantial increase also. I believe it was more that SS 3.2%!!
Lucky for the Gov inflation numbers don't include energy and food.........

I just looked it up, yup 12.5% increase for SNAP with higher incomes becoming eligible. Can't make this crap up! 12.5% vs 3.2%

Last edited by 06hunter59; 10/12/23.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Partsman
Inflation ticks upward to 3.7% as the Fed's fight to tame high consumer prices rolls on

In Canada?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Only the stupid don't realize the same thing happened to wage slaves like me. It is a fiction that the employer pays half, it is figured into the compensation cost for a worker.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2

There’s already a de facto means testing presently in force. It’s tied to your AGI. Over a certain amount and your monthly benefit is reduced.

It got me.
Sucking too many?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I heard on the radio today that SNAP is receiving a substantial increase also. I believe it was more that SS 3.2%!!
Lucky for the Gov inflation numbers don't include energy and food.........

I just looked it up, yup 12.5% increase for SNAP with higher incomes becoming eligible. Can't make this crap up! 12.5% vs 3.2%

Well the govt just raised Medicare costs by $10/month for the basic package.

Last year’s reduction didn’t last too long.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

It got me.

Social Security is NOT means tested, what have you been drinkng? Nothing is tied to your AGI, please enlighten us Toot.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cfran

It got me.

Social Security is NOT means tested, what have you been drinkng? Nothing is tied to your AGI, please enlighten us Toot.

As usual you’re the same simple minded little twit. Enlighten yourself and talk to your CPA.

Go over $200k on your AGI and see what happens you dumbassed little gnome.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Toot toot,

Maybe you can afford the Equate brand lube on your 3% raise you old queen . Ha!

LOL

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
FISH CAMP

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

I didn't consider SS either in my retirement plans--and have been self-employed for 40 years, as has Eileen. So yeah, had to pay 15%--and did better with other investments as we got older.

But the SS income we get ain't bad, and am reasonably happy with it, especially since it partially came about from the years when we didn't have enough extra income to invest to anywhere near the same extent we have in the past 30 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Funny, my wife quit working at age 28 (she will be 62 next year) as a $50k a year paralegal. SS statements suggest $900/month when she hits 62. She was stunned.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Well.....whoop-de-doo! I did the math and looks like I will get about a $61/month raise. In "high cotton" in January! Of course, that is before taxes on the money that I've already paid taxes on.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Well.....whoop-de-doo! I did the math and looks like I will get about a $61/month raise. In "high cotton" in January! Of course, that is before taxes on the money that I've already paid taxes on.

Prefer 0?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

It got me.

As usual you’re the same simple minded little twit. Enlighten yourself and talk to your CPA.

Man you are a condescending little baby. As far as means testing goes you are only right if you are under full retirement age, but you left that part out. Most here assume you are over 80.

Last edited by cfran; 10/13/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

It got me.

Man you are a condescending little baby. As far as means testing goes you are only right if you are under full retirement age, but you left that part out. Most here assume you are over 80.

One day little lady you’ll learn to keep your mouth shut as you continually burn your own butt.

You are wrong yet again about being under full retirement age.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

It got me.

One day little lady you’ll learn to keep your mouth shut as you continually burn your own butt.

You are wrong yet again about being under full retirement age.

Sure Toot. You are such a tool.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.