Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What do you shoot and how do you like it? Are you keeping it or looking for something different?

Looking to get a new bow this winter or early spring. I have a 20 year old Matthews Outback. Nothing wrong with it but it's time for something newer.

I'm not even sure what to look for anymore. My wife and kids all have much newer and cheaper equipment than mine and it's faster and quieter than what I have.

Deer hunting in the Midwest will be what it's used for 80% of the time. I'd love to start bowhunting is South Dakota some. My shots would not be more than 50 yards, probably ever and will be more like 25 and under around home.

Not looking for the fastest bow in town. I like to shoot heavy arrow with heavy broadheads. But they're all faster than what I have now.

I'm open to pretty much anything but have looked at Mathews Image, Matthews Phase 4, Bear Adapt and Bear Legend XR. That shop also sells Prime.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a new BowTech 34SS this year and it's the best bow I've ever owned. Make sure to check it out.

Best of luck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The biggest problem when looking for a new gadget, is buying it new. It doesn’t matter if it is a gun, bow or optics, you best deal is to get a better used bow than an OK new bow.

I bought a Mathews “Chill” when they first came out and hunted with it for several years. It is a better bow than the Switchback by a bunch. My son got a new bow this year and gave me his 3 year old Mathews VXR, and it is much better than the Chill.

Start looking for a used VXR, they are several years old now and archery equipment becomes much more affordable once a new model comes out.

Forget second tier new stuff and buy top tier used stuff, you will find out you are getting way more for your money…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The biggest problem when looking for a new gadget, is buying it new. It doesn’t matter if it is a gun, bow or optics, you best deal is to get a better used bow than an OK new bow.

I bought a Mathews “Chill” when they first came out and hunted with it for several years. It is a better bow than the Switchback by a bunch. My son got a new bow this year and gave me his 3 year old Mathews VXR, and it is much better than the Chill.

Start looking for a used VXR, they are several years old now and archery equipment becomes much more affordable once a new model comes out.

Forget second tier new stuff and buy top tier used stuff, you will find out you are getting way more for your money…

That's a good option. They did have some used bows at that shop too.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
PSE

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
PSE

I misspoke when I said I'm open to anything. LOL. Not that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Old Hoyt Trykon, no need to replace it yet, still going strong and I shoot it well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by shrapnel

That's a good option. They did have some used bows at that shop too.

I'll echo shrap - were it my money I'd rather have a 2-4 year old, used flagship model from Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt than a brand new mid-low tier from anyone. Money will work out to about the same. Plenty of guys that need to have the newest bow every year that take a bath on their older ones. If you're not trying to get it outfitted until after this bow season time is on your side.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by hanco
PSE

I misspoke when I said I'm open to anything. LOL. Not that.

PSE has been completely changed with John Dudley's designs. He worked for Hoyt for a long time. You see Hoyt in many of the new PSEs.

I run Elite but I am probably going to pick up a PSE EVO EVL 34 EC just for the hell of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT. My 3rd. First was the regular Torrex, then on a whim decided to see what my league scores would be with the regular Torrex vs Torrex XT (same average over 10 weeks), them my shoulder started giving me fits so I bought a 50#'er. Liked them all and have kill 3 elk and 2 pronghorn with them so far.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by centershot
I shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT. My 3rd. First was the regular Torrex, then on a whim decided to see what my league scores would be with the regular Torrex vs Torrex XT (same average over 10 weeks), them my shoulder started giving me fits so I bought a 50#'er. Liked them all and have kill 3 elk and 2 pronghorn with them so far.

That's kind of where I'm at. My wife and girls are shooting 50# bows and are faster and quieter than mine. My son shoots 70# but he's 19 and hasn't learned yet. laugh

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bear species long draw

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree with Shrapnel and Tzone. I picked up a VXR 31.5, and it shoots like a dream. I'm on year 3 with mine; can't see not keeping that one for the duration. I do still have my Reezen 6.5 for backup!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
#49lb Bob Lee recurve.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder, a 2020'ish Matthews VXR31.5 and a Black Widow Recurve (forget model but shorter riser with the longer limbs, I think 58" overall). I bought the BW in like new condition but used for about 40% of cost of a new one but with someone else's initials on the bow. I've always shot recurves and they're pretty simple so was able to it up myself.

To me, it's whether a person knows enough about archery (and has access to a bow press!) to buy a used bow and save a good bit of money or pay up for a new one and develop a relationship with the local shop to help you set it up and get going with the new bow.

Regarding bows, the Matthews grip feels a little blocky to me and the bow feels a little top heavy. Though, it shoots great. The 2014 Hoyt Carbon is my favorite compound I've had, though I've only had a handful. I think the older Hoyt has a great reputation with many people.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot an old Mathews Legacy. It shoots fantastic and is fast enough for me so I’ve never upgraded.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
An original Grayling, MI made, 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve purchased in 1973 or 4. A Mathews Conquest II that is 41" axle to axle, long by today's standards. I also have an Excalibur 340 Mag crossgun. Haven't hunted with it yet but I will. Between the recurve and the compound just depends on my set and shot distance potential.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you’re planning to keep the new one 20 years like your current bow, I would buy new and top of the line from a reputable pro shop.

I used to buy a new one or two every year. Now I keep them 5 or 6 years and get a new one. Currently have a Mathews VXR that’s 3 years old. It’s a great bow.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot/use an Elite Enkore, fantastic bow! It checked every box I had for a bow when I got it a couple years ago. I've had other Elite bows, no disappointment with them for me.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by hookeye; 10/14/23.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 45 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.