-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of you skeptics about use and tactics related to shotguns crack me up. AND at the same time illustrate your ignorance about shotguns and what they can do. SheriffJoe’s preceding comment is perfectly rational. First objective in a gunfight is to disable your opponent, not to kill them. Doing both ain’t a bad thing of course, but give this a thought: The bad guy is wearing full armor over chest, abdomen, and a helmet with face plate. Were ya gonna shoot’m? Would the shot size matter at a range of 25’? Does your gun fit you properly and are you functional with instinctive shooting?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Against armor, go with a heavy slug. Tough scenario. If possible shots to lower potions of target may immobilize...for follow up.

Guessing Raferman has only trained against feral cats.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by specneeds
I load lead 4&5’s in my ground squirrel rattlesnake ready shotgun but will load 8’s if I have time for a snake. It’s my close at hand selling stuff on Craigslist insurance as well. I recommend that when people ask & tell them a shotgun is fun to shoot trap & practical in every respect if you only have 1 gun. A cheap duck load will be just as deadly at 20’ as anything you can shoot & less likely to damage anything else.

I have a bunch of Navy Seal buckshot that works for coyotes out past 75 yards - not needed at self defense ranges.

Navy Seal buckshot?

Gotta be better than Air Force buckshot…

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I actually googled Seal buckshot,,,,, one indicator it was that & Coast Guard. 2 3/4" #1 buck.

Hint,, the goldilocks of buck. Not that any is bad.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
41 pellets to the hip/groin area damage a lot more than the bones. Femoral artery trashed in a spot with no way to tourniquet it is a one way ticket…

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Taste great!

Less Filling!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some of you skeptics about use and tactics related to shotguns crack me up. AND at the same time illustrate your ignorance about shotguns and what they can do. SheriffJoe’s preceding comment is perfectly rational. First objective in a gunfight is to disable your opponent, not to kill them. Doing both ain’t a bad thing of course, but give this a thought: The bad guy is wearing full armor over chest, abdomen, and a helmet with face plate. Were ya gonna shoot’m? Would the shot size matter at a range of 25’? Does your gun fit you properly and are you functional with instinctive shooting?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our last big discussion about defensive shotguns...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18725962/1

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Our last big discussion about defensive shotguns...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18725962/1

Fun times...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

If you can't shoot them in the lungs, then shoot them in the leg. Says Biden...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My last comment on this. One of the farms we bird hunt on was heavily timbered about 10 years ago, The owner lets us hunt if we don't kill too many and if we fill all our extra doe tags and give them to his hired help.

These cut overs are miserable to hunt but quail love them because they afford cover from everything trying to eat them.

Deer are the same and you about have to step on them to get them up. We kill around 12 deer every year there using mostly A5's and high brass bird shot out to about 15 yards.

Center mass hit from a load of 8 or 9 bird shot never fails to anchor deer at that range. And we usually have to dig the wad out.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Inside of 10 yards a high brass load of #4 is as good as anything.

Had to kill a good sized hog once at around that distance. 7/8 ounce of 7.5 from a 20 gauge between the eyes got the job done.

Did have trouble with a big chow once using a similar load. Took a couple body shots to end him.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I may keep 1 or 2 shotguns around and available.

Normally I have both buckshot as well as slugs carried on the side saddle carrier for the Browning Auto-5. Not much in terms of realistic home defense issues that it should not be able to handle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The old Ithica is one I am slowly working on. Much lighter, it has nice handling qualities.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where did you get the extension tube for the humpback?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

In the face. Or chest. That amount of energy is gonna HURT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Am I the only one who thinks all of this talk about penetrating walls is ridiculous? You are shooting a shotgun at inside the house ranges. Hit the goddam target, not walls. If you aren't confident that you can do that, account for the presence of family before you pull the trigger.

One or more armed Perps in your home waking you from a dead sleep is a fluid environment to say the very least. Actions won't be scripted, plus you will have zero knowledge your family members are where you last saw them. House shootout Walking Tall remake? Strong chances are it will be closer to that.
Anything you prepare for/ eliminate beforehand is effort well spent.

Oh, and yes, you are the only one.

Looks like you didn't really think your comment through. Not at all a surprise.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
My last comment on this. One of the farms we bird hunt on was heavily timbered about 10 years ago, The owner lets us hunt if we don't kill too many and if we fill all our extra doe tags and give them to his hired help.

These cut overs are miserable to hunt but quail love them because they afford cover from everything trying to eat them.

Deer are the same and you about have to step on them to get them up. We kill around 12 deer every year there using mostly A5's and high brass bird shot out to about 15 yards.

Center mass hit from a load of 8 or 9 bird shot never fails to anchor deer at that range. And we usually have to dig the wad out.

Yes. As I stated above, working for years as a paramedic, nothing is more lethal than a load of #8 bird shot at 15 feet. Stomach or chest, doesn't matter. I worked 14 such cases and all died.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Where did you get the extension tube for the humpback?

I set that up in the 90s for three gun comps. In fact I used that A5 in the SOF 3 gun world championship in 99 I think it was. The mag extension was for another brand. Maybe Benelli, but I cannot recall. It gives me 7+1 while still being short enough to be maneuverable and practical.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot through the front end of a coyote once at about 8 yards. #5 shot from my 10 bore.

Wad was hanging out of the exit hole.

So much for "bird shot" not penetrating.

I have shot a good number of other furry critters, coons, possums, cats, etc with bird shot from BB to 7 1/2 shot. Anything under 25' or so is a complete mess.

Get a handful of chokes from XX full to imp cyl or cylinder bore and at under 25' there isn't near as much difference in spread of the shot as some would think.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/12/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Always used 2-3/4” #4 lead. Seems to make large messes whenever it’s used. Grandad killed a bear, in the chicken coop, at 3 yards with it. Good enough for me.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.