moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
That is why it is still sitting there
List new was about $2.5k in the late 70s

Too fancy for me to take hunting as new and un-fired -
But the girlfriend does have a birthday coming up but I think chocolates and dinner will have to do 🦊

Last edited by moose95; 10/12/23.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It is pretty and all, but having a single trigger is a complete deal breaker. It drastically impacts the usefulness of the piece.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by moose95
That is why it is still sitting there
List new was about $2.5k in the late 70s

Too fancy for me to take hunting as new and un-fired -
But the girlfriend does have a birthday coming up but I think chocolates and dinner will have to do 🦊

$2.5K at that time was about ten times what a pretty good rifle would cost. $11K today is about ten times what a pretty good rifle would cost. It's also about double the amount most of us would readily throw down for something truly special. My guess is, it will sit there for a while.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Agreed. That it is more pretty than practical but it’s is John Moses Browning’s basic Superposed shotgun design with a 20ga barrel set and a 30-06 barrel set
The tang slider selects which barrel fires first (over or under)
The barrels are interchangeable to swap from rifle to shotgun
The Superposed was his last and renowned as his legacy design

I can’t usually find too much to fault with the man from Ogden UT

Attached Images
IMG_0097.jpeg (8.51 KB, 194 downloads)

M
moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Guessing what others might waste their money on never makes sense to me, including this
I would not wager against it sitting there a very long time but there are plenty followers of the more money than common sense club

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz
It is pretty and all, but having a single trigger is a complete deal breaker. It drastically impacts the usefulness of the piece.

Same here, if it had double Triggers I'd snatch it up! BTW what difference does it make on a double rifle. 30 06 x 30 06?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Switch

Same here, if it had double Triggers I'd snatch it up! BTW what difference does it make on a double rifle. 30 06 x 30 06?

Might make a difference when using the shotgun barrels and, hypothetically, you’d experience less muzzle rise with the lower rifle barrel so be better set up for a quicker follow up [bleep]….at least in theory. Also, someone might want two different loads in the rifle barrels, although I would think regulation would be a more critical factor.

If I had it, it would get used, although I don’t see a double rifle having any advantages for anything I do. I also wonder if there are any provisions for mounting a scope. I would need pretty good light these days to use open sights effectively.

In any case, it’s all moot for me. It’s kind of a neat toy, wonderful craftsmanship, I’m sure. For half the asking price I’d be tempted if I saw it right in front of me at the lgs. I’d have to work hard to remind myself that I’ve got a number of really cool guns that don’t get used enough as it is.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Switch

Might make a difference when using the shotgun barrels and, hypothetically, you’d experience less muzzle rise with the lower rifle barrel so be better set up for a quicker follow up [bleep]….at least in theory. Also, someone might want two different loads in the rifle barrels, although I would think regulation would be a more critical factor.

If I had it, it would get used, although I don’t see a double rifle having any advantages for anything I do. I also wonder if there are any provisions for mounting a scope. I would need pretty good light these days to use open sights effectively.

In any case, it’s all moot for me. It’s kind of a neat toy, wonderful craftsmanship, I’m sure. For half the asking price I’d be tempted if I saw it right in front of me at the lgs. I’d have to work hard to remind myself that I’ve got a number of really cool guns that don’t get used enough as it is.

Barrel selector on the tang!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moose95
Guessing what others might waste their money on never makes sense to me, including this
I would not wager against it sitting there a very long time but there are plenty followers of the more money than common sense club

Right

These never did become popular. They weren't very accurate and the rifle walked a helluva lot after just one round fired. The sst was another problem. They are stupid on a combo gun; these should have been a DT set up. Plus, there was no provision to scope them like a Kreighoff BBF has.

We took one in on trade back in the day, and I put it through its paces, then back on the shelf. I was underwhelmed, and I'm a combo gun addict.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I disagree on the single trigger, I've been shooting a Superposed with a single trigger since I was 14. I tend to strum double triggers with alarming regularity or fumble around trying to find the second one. Ive been shooting double triggers just as long. For me that selector safety is perfect. And I've never had a second shot fail to fire. I'm a poor enough shot that the second barrel gets regular use.
BUT, what they did joining those barrels is shameful. The OU Browning rifles I've owned tended to be less than well regulated and walked terribly, and the structure of the barrels does not lend itself to anything but the factory sights.
I used to want another Superposed rifle,but with age and experience, that has, like many things, evaporated.
To each his own, I'm sure that is somebody's dream, and I hope it makes them happy.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot a 20ga Superposed quite a lot since 1958, and I never got used to the selector as part of the safety. There is too little positive feel the of selection for me. Some love it, however. My dad did.

I much prefer the Valmet button system. Push it with the index finger, while you push the safety off with the thumb. It works better for me.

Owen used it as one of his starter guns; I put only one round in it into the bottom barrel to make it a single shot. Kids sometimes forget to put the safety on after a shot, and I didn't want another round in the top barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful shotgun rifle combo!
Not all art is framed, and some is functional.
I happen to have one, the engraving and gold inlays are stunning. Spectacular wood and the usual excellent quality of Belgium Brownings.
Figure the going price for a basic Superposed Superlight 20 gauge is about 5,000, an engraved and gold inlaid high grade Combo Shotgun/Rifle 11k sounds reasonable to me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.