-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every time I handle or shoot my 83 it astonishes me.

After a couple years, you'd think I would be used to it. But after nearly 50 years of using "normal" handguns, the FA still stuns me with its precision.

I think every serious handgunner ought to have at least one in his life.

If you decide it is just too much of a good thing, sell it. They don't depreciate like a Wal-Mart gun.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Daveman
I just read an article about a Freedom Arms Model 97 in one of the gun rags. The author made the gun sound like the best thing since sliced bread, as if he were simply a shill for the company.

Is the Freedom Arms revolver worth the nearly $3K they are charging for it? I'm a casual shooter, and do not compete, but i do appreciate excellence. I've read a number of comments from folks who love their FA revolvers, but does anyone have anything less than stellar to report about them? Any downsides, other than their hefty price tags?

Vacillating over whether I should put them on my "gotta have one" list. I have a tuned Ruger Blackhawk that shoots lights-out, and i wonder if the FA is seriously worth four times the Blackhawk.

I owned a 4" 97 chambered in .44 Special. Round butt and ebony micarta.

When I found it and bought it I thought I had found nirvana in the single action world, but after shooting it and carrying it a good bit, it started to leave me cold.

The tolerances were (for me) too tight. You cannot thumb them as casually as you can a Colt or Ruger. They are tank like and by all accounts will remain that way for a long, long time. The chambers are cut so tight that I would often have to push on the cartridge HARD to get it fully seated to the point that the cylinders would rotate. This annoyed me greatly.

The tight tolerances are like any aspect of engineering. While annoying, they also yield extreme accuracy that you'd not expect from a 4" single action. However, I cannot take advantage of that type of accuracy because I can't hold 1" groups in the offhand with a handgun. And I'm an exceptional shot with a handgun.

Another aspect that I found irritating was that I needed a different front sight to get it zeroed. And Freedom Arms don't drop that schit in the mail for free. I promise... LOL

Yes they are worth what they cost. Anything built to those standards is worth the price of admission. But it was not worth it for me because I'd much rather drop my rounds into my well worn Flattop and shoot the hell out of it in a way that I think a single action should be shot.

in summary: Worth it? Yes. For me? No.

This is as honest of an answer I can give you.
Yeah, they are pretty tight.

I saw one guy using a pair for cowboy action shooting. They’re sorta tight for really fast shooting, though he did pretty well.

To me a looser gun is what you need for CAS. You don’t need FA precision to succeed in that sport. It’s more about speed and there are smiths who specialize in making Colts, clones and Rugers run really fast. That’s not where the FA shines.

FA is a super precise and accurate revolver. For what it’s designed to do, it’s in a class by itself. Maybe not for everyone and I do think it’s worth the cost. I like mine; it’s a keeper.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tarbe

After a couple years, you'd think I would be used to it. But after nearly 50 years of using "normal" handguns, the FA still stuns me with its precision.

I feel the same way, always “re-amazed”.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had the itch for years for a light(er) weight .45 Colt. Have a 5.5” Ruger Bisley that Hamilton Bowen tuned up years ago that I love, just want something a bit more “packable”.

I can’t seem to get a S&W Mtn. bought (and they’ve doubled in price in the last decade), a Bowen lightweight would likely cost more than the FA 97.

A little 4” round butt flinging 260-280’s at 950ish would pretty well do all I’d need it to and still be fun to shoot. It’d just get toted around the lease and under a coat in the winter on occasion just because. The fact that by all accounts they shoot like lasers doesn’t hurt.

DeFlave made some great points to be aware of, but sometimes you just want to try something because you can.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Potsy
Had the itch for years for a light(er) weight .45 Colt. Have a 5.5” Ruger Bisley that Hamilton Bowen tuned up years ago that I love, just want something a bit more “packable”.

I can’t seem to get a S&W Mtn. bought (and they’ve doubled in price in the last decade), a Bowen lightweight would likely cost more than the FA 97.

A little 4” round butt flinging 260-280’s at 950ish would pretty well do all I’d need it to and still be fun to shoot. It’d just get toted around the lease and under a coat in the winter on occasion just because. The fact that by all accounts they shoot like lasers doesn’t hurt.

DeFlave made some great points to be aware of, but sometimes you just want to try something because you can.

Outside of the round butt, check out the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with the 4.6 inch barrel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tarbe

I think every serious handgunner ought to have at least one in his life.

If you decide it is just too much of a good thing, sell it. They don't depreciate like a Wal-Mart gun.

One thing that bothers me about the model 83 is that it doesn’t have a safety transfer bar. Can you carry it with a live cartridge under the hammer? I think I’ve read that you can if you half cock the hammer - is this true? I wonder why they haven’t fixed this. The model 97 has a transfer bar and can be carried with a full cylinder.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by deflave
I just read an article about a Freedom Arms Model 97 in one of the gun rags. The author made the gun sound like the best thing since sliced bread, as if he were simply a shill for the company.

Is the Freedom Arms revolver worth the nearly $3K they are charging for it? I'm a casual shooter, and do not compete, but i do appreciate excellence. I've read a number of comments from folks who love their FA revolvers, but does anyone have anything less than stellar to report about them? Any downsides, other than their hefty price tags?

Vacillating over whether I should put them on my "gotta have one" list. I have a tuned Ruger Blackhawk that shoots lights-out, and i wonder if the FA is seriously worth four times the Blackhawk.

I owned a 4" 97 chambered in .44 Special. Round butt and ebony micarta.

When I found it and bought it I thought I had found nirvana in the single action world, but after shooting it and carrying it a good bit, it started to leave me cold.

The tolerances were (for me) too tight. You cannot thumb them as casually as you can a Colt or Ruger. They are tank like and by all accounts will remain that way for a long, long time. The chambers are cut so tight that I would often have to push on the cartridge HARD to get it fully seated to the point that the cylinders would rotate. This annoyed me greatly.

The tight tolerances are like any aspect of engineering. While annoying, they also yield extreme accuracy that you'd not expect from a 4" single action. However, I cannot take advantage of that type of accuracy because I can't hold 1" groups in the offhand with a handgun. And I'm an exceptional shot with a handgun.

Another aspect that I found irritating was that I needed a different front sight to get it zeroed. And Freedom Arms don't drop that schit in the mail for free. I promise... LOL

Yes they are worth what they cost. Anything built to those standards is worth the price of admission. But it was not worth it for me because I'd much rather drop my rounds into my well worn Flattop and shoot the hell out of it in a way that I think a single action should be shot.

in summary: Worth it? Yes. For me? No.

This is as honest of an answer I can give you.
Yeah, they are pretty tight.

I saw one guy using a pair for cowboy action shooting. They’re sorta tight for really fast shooting, though he did pretty well.

To me a looser gun is what you need for CAS. You don’t need FA precision to succeed in that sport. It’s more about speed and there are smiths who specialize in making Colts, clones and Rugers run really fast. That’s not where the FA shines.

DF
Good post, and spot on...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned several FA m83's over the past 38 or so years- I still have this one, a .454 Casull, with a 10" MagNaPort octagon barrel and factory trigger job. It has taken a fair amount of game, mostly hogs and whitetails. When I originally ordered it from FA as a custom order, if I recall correctly, it cost around $1100. To order the similar build today would cost well north of $3K, and a wait time of over a year to get it.

I also own a BFR in .475 Linebaugh, which I really like. Both are wearing Ultradot Gen 2 red dots.

The FA is a well-made piece of work, to be sure, and the most accurate revolver I own. But, the BFR in my opinion equals it in quality, plus it has features like the reverse pawl allowing the cylinder to move freely in either direction, and a transfer bar safety.

The FA nowadays gets shot with lighter-weight bullets at moderate velocity, while the Linebaugh gets the heavy, Cast Performance bullets at a bit less than max velocity, for bigger stuff. Is the FA worth more than a Ruger Super Blackhawk, in a similar caliber? If I were pondering the choice today, I would simply split the difference, and get a BFR- I think it's the best value for the money.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Outside of the round butt, check out the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with the 4.6 inch barrel.

Had one years ago. Plowhandle. Great pistol. Just want a little more…..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Had one years ago. Plowhandle. Great pistol. Just want a little more…..

Having traveled a lot of single-action roads that meet your criteria...

Birds head Vaquero. 3.75". .45 ACP. TALO Exclusive.

Worth a strong look.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Ruger Bisley 44 Special on the 357 frame an the 44 GPs are also good carry options.

A 24-3 4" too..

All used of course now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are functional works of art in my opinion and very accurate. The down side (if you can call it that) are their extreme tolerances dictate extreme attention to detail when reloading. If you're so much as an "RCH" off, they won't chamber. Mine is in 454 Casull.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My Model 97, in .22 LR with Mag cylinder, would cost $4 K if purchased now. Worth every penny.

These are not for the Walmart crowd.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Paul, that's my favorite...a Premier with the black Micarta grips.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I like the BFR's except for that grip, just can't get past it but they shoot just fine. Here is my octagon FA 41 magnum with factory ivory micarta's.
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 10/17/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a 454 Casull in the early 90's and fired A LOT of FULL POWER loads through it.
The thing broke three times and had to go back to FA for repair. After the 3rd trip, I sold it.

I currently have a model 83 475 Linebaugh and a 97 in 41 magnum. I have not broken either one of those, but I don't shoot them much either.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I bought a 454 Casull in the early 90's and fired A LOT of FULL POWER loads through it.
The thing broke three times and had to go back to FA for repair. After the 3rd trip, I sold it.

I currently have a model 83 475 Linebaugh and a 97 in 41 magnum. I have not broken either one of those, but I don't shoot them much either.

Tony

What "broke"?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.