G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
IMHO, an excellent read.

Quien Sabe,

GWB

"Once, I Was a Peace Advocate. Now, I Have No Idealism Left.

After terrorists killed my cousin Daniel Pearl, my family called for peace. But after the worldwide celebration of our people’s slaughter, my hope for peace is dead."
By Ilan Benjamin

October 13, 2023

"The story I’m about to tell is one that many progressive Jews can relate to. In some ways, it’s a prototypical arc of a diaspora Jew who has always advocated for nuance. This week, something broke in us. We watched history repeat itself. Not just on the global scale, with the wanton massacre of our people, the savage mass murders and dismemberments of entire families and communities. But for many, my family included, history is repeating itself on a personal level as well.

In March 2003, I turned 13 and celebrated my bar mitzvah in Walnut Creek, California. By Jewish tradition, I became a man. But the ceremony felt redundant; I had already grown up. Only one year earlier, my older cousin, Daniel Pearl, an investigative journalist for The Wall Street Journal, was kidnapped and beheaded by Islamist jihadis while on assignment in Pakistan.

His killers, like the Hamas killers of last weekend, proudly released a video documenting Danny’s murder. Among Danny’s last words were, “My father is Jewish. My mother is Jewish. I am Jewish.” At first, I was in shock—how had my own cousin become a player in such a large international nightmare? Why did people get murdered simply for being who they are? In this case, for being Jewish?

Danny’s parents did not call for revenge. Instead they set up The Daniel Pearl Foundation that offers fellowships, sponsors cross-cultural music events (Danny was a gifted musician), and brings people together to improve the world. Even after what my family had been through, their work encouraged me to be idealistic and believe that the Jewish people could make peace with our neighbors. I became a fierce advocate for peace.

When I immigrated to Israel at the age of 18 and enlisted in the Israel Defense Forces, I was still driven by ideals. I thought I could promote more goodwill with our Palestinian neighbors. Serving in a combat unit based on the Gaza border, I witnessed the release of the kidnapped Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, held for five years by Hamas, when his freedom was exchanged for more than 1,000 Palestinian prisoners. One for 1,000. Despite my many criticisms of the Israeli government, I recognized then how much Israel valued the life of every soldier.
The late journalist Daniel Pearl

On my rare free weekend, I spent my time at Kibbutz Be’eri. Because I was a “lone soldier”—that is, an immigrant without much close family in Israel—I was given a host family. They treated me like a son, including teasing me relentlessly for choosing to come to Israel and serve, whereas most Israelis have no choice. They were politically left, just like me. Despite rockets often raining down on them, they believed in peace, just like me. This week, when the terrorists came, ideals didn’t make a difference.

I watched the news in horror as terrorists massacred over 100 people at Kibbutz Be’eri. Women. Children. I frantically messaged my host family and heard nothing back. Like my cousin Danny years ago, my family was being held hostage. The good news: unlike Danny, my host family at Kibbutz Be’eri was saved. They are physically okay. But how can they really be okay, after watching their friends and neighbors being slaughtered?

There was a time when these types of events couldn’t shake my ideals. I used to argue relentlessly for a two-state solution. I fought bitterly with Israeli friends about the decency of the Palestinian people. Even though radical Islamists had murdered my cousin, even though civilians had been blown up in buses daily during the Second Intifada, I refused to give in to nihilism.

In 2012, I returned to the States to study film at University of Southern California, and published a book about my military service that criticized the Israeli government. This didn’t win me many friends, but I continued to advocate for nuance regardless. I proudly supported Black Lives Matter, LGBTQIA+, and feminist causes. I called myself a progressive Jew.

But over the years, I noticed a disturbing trend: With all the atrocities in the world, why did my social justice warrior friends hate Israel so disproportionately? Why did it feel like intersectionality excluded Jews? Why did the left—who supposedly stood up for human rights—put child-murdering Hamas terrorists on a pedestal?

At first, I thought it must be miseducation.

“Ah, they think Palestinians are the indigenous people. I’ll show that Jewish history, and the archaeology to prove it, dates back millennia.”

“Ah, they think we’re white colonizers. I’ll show how many Jews are people of color, including those who are Mizrahi, Sephardi, and Ethiopian.”

“Ah, they’ll get it once I show them that there are fifty Muslim countries, and only one Jewish state.”

But my friends weren’t interested in correcting their misunderstandings.
Ilan Benjamin at his bar mitzvah.

I agreed that the settlements were unlawful, that Gaza was a humanitarian crisis, that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyuahu was a dictator. I assumed—if I cared enough, if I mourned for the Palestinian dead, if I put nuance above all else—our neighbors and their allies would give us the same decency.

How wrong I was. This past week, as over 1,300 Jews were slaughtered, the most murderous attack on Jews since the Holocaust, I saw the true face of Palestinians and their allies. All around the world, they celebrate. They gloat. They mock our tears. They do not protest against Hamas. They embrace pure evil.

And so, to the terrorists I now say:

When you killed my family, I forgave you. When you killed my people, I forgave you. But when you killed my idealism, I had no forgiveness left.

To non-Jewish friends who have reached out, thank you. It is simply the human thing to do. To friends who dare justify what has happened, you are not friends. You are nothing but Nazi supporters dressed up in leftist intellectual language. To the Palestinians: you have lost all moral authority to claim victimhood. I will never advocate for you again. To my family, friends in Israel, and Jews around the world hurting right now, I love you. Stay safe.

In Berlin, where I live today with my German-Ukrainian Jewish wife, Germans love to say “Never Again.” Right now, Never Again is happening again in real time, livestreamed for the whole world to see. I find myself looking up my military number in case the IDF reserves call for me. Unlike our enemy, I feel no joy at the prospect of going to war. But if our people’s existence is at stake, I will do what I must. I will be the world’s favorite villain: the Jew who has the audacity to defend his people."

https://www.thefp.com/p/daniel-pearl-cousin-hamas-idealism

Last edited by geedubya; 10/14/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
God speed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say to any and all Jews, young or old, who live in the US that are always speaking out against the 2nd Amendment.

Maybe now you all will keep your fûck’n mouths shut about guns being responsible for people dying, so guns must be regulated.

Buy a gun, Jewish person - possibly two or three guns and get ready to defend yourself.

Holding out for hope that our government will protect you from the people here hasn’t worked well for you throughout history.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Daniel Pearl wasn't killed because he was jewish, he was killed due sticking his nose into Dawood Ibrahim's business.....

This book tells all about what happened.....

https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/catalog/3293606

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watching this from the Group W Bench.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The problem with liberalism is it almost never gets personal enough to affect their glass castles.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
for being so dang smart, Jews sure take their time to reach an epiphany. Even after this debacle, the vast majority of American Jews will still support the dhimmicrat party, the same folks that want them dead here.

Sam......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
for being so dang smart, Jews sure take their time to reach an epiphany. Even after this debacle, the vast majority of American Jews will still support the dhimmicrat party, the same folks that want them dead here.
That has always been a head scratcher.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahh someones eyes have been opened, too bad his family meant so little to him.

This statement here tells me everything I need to know.

"In Berlin, where I live today with my German-Ukrainian Jewish wife, Germans love to say “Never Again.” Right now, Never Again is happening again in real time, livestreamed for the whole world to see. I find myself looking up my military number in case the IDF reserves call for me. Unlike our enemy, I feel no joy at the prospect of going to war. But if our people’s existence is at stake, I will do what I must. I will be the world’s favorite villain: the Jew who has the audacity to defend his people.""

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The two state system in Israel has been a failure from the start. Israel showed a lot of restraint and tolerance in dealing with it the last 75 years.
Now it’s time to turn Gaza into rubble and push it into the sea. Another win for “diversity”.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
LMAO!!!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
LMAO!!!

Yup!

and it won't be long before Thanksgiving.

IYKYK

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The two state system in Israel has been a failure from the start. Israel showed a lot of restraint and tolerance in dealing with it the last 75 years.
Now it’s time to turn Gaza into rubble and push it into the sea. Another win for “diversity”.

Spoken like a true Zionist.

“Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves … politically we are the aggressors and they defend themselves… The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country. … Behind the terrorism [by the Arabs] is a movement, which though primitive is not devoid of idealism and self sacrifice.”
— David Ben Gurion. Quoted on pp 91-2 of Chomsky’s Fateful Triangle, which appears in Simha Flapan’s “Zionism and the Palestinians pp 141-2 citing a 1938 speech.

What did David Ben-Gurion say?

“If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?”
David Ben-Gurion (the first Israeli Prime Minister): Quoted by Nahum Goldmann in Le Paraddoxe Juif (The Jewish Paradox), pp121.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet a lot of money Mr. Ilan Benjamin, the author, is just as anti-Second Amendment as all his "progressive" friends are, and if moving back to the U.S., will vote for more "gun-control."

My opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’m more concerned with the amount of fugking taxes Americans pay.

I’m more concerned about people with no wife and no kids paying more taxes than anyone else.

I’m more concerned about the small business owners in the United States getting fugked in the ass by their own government.

I’m more concerned about why I have to pay for water, while billions upon billions go overseas.

I’m more concerned about oath takers trying to destroy our Constitution after being elected to office.

I give not a zero fugk about Israel or their problems.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari

“Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves … politically we are the aggressors and they defend themselves… The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country. … Behind the terrorism [by the Arabs] is a movement, which though primitive is not devoid of idealism and self sacrifice.”
— David Ben Gurion. Quoted on pp 91-2 of Chomsky’s Fateful Triangle, which appears in Simha Flapan’s “Zionism and the Palestinians pp 141-2 citing a 1938 speech.

“If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?”
David Ben-Gurion (the first Israeli Prime Minister): Quoted by Nahum Goldmann in Le Paraddoxe Juif (The Jewish Paradox), pp121.

Reality is, they (Israelis) are there and they sure as heck aren't going anywhere.

Andfor anyone to equivocate and say the palestinians were in any way justified to do what they did last week is pretty figgen disgusting. They want to fight the Israeli government,have at it. Blow up military and government institutions, go ahead. But what happened last week is a subhuman group feeling unleashed to do their bidding and justifying it over something done 60 years ago when the state was set up.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Reality is, they (Israelis) are there and they sure as heck aren't going anywhere.

Andfor anyone to equivocate and say the palestinians were in any way justified to do what they did last week is pretty figgen disgusting. They want to fight the Israeli government,have at it. Blow up military and government institutions, go ahead. But what happened last week is a subhuman group feeling unleashed to do their bidding and justifying it over something done 60 years ago when the state was set up.

They just took a page from the Irgun and Stern Gang playbook. NONE of this is humane or justified, and the criminals who are responsible need elimination, then and now.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I quit feeling sorry for anyone a while ago.

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I quit feeling sorry for anyone a while ago.

Yourself excluded.

Obviously.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Let's see...2023 - 1948.

My math says that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 years. So an atrocity 75 years ago makes it ok to slaughter civilians now?

Presentism is afoot here also. Do not forget what had just happened a few years prior to the 1948 incident.

No one is saying there is purity and innocence on the Israeli's part. But here is where we are and here is where we (they) have to navigate from.

Again, if you in any way think what happened last week is in any way ok, you are screwed in the head.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (163bc, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.