Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Used to trap long ago. Haven't for some time. Would like to again mainly to teach my son. Is anything worth anything?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
fur prices expected to be piss poor again this winter from what I've gathered and probably stay that way until Russia war ends and the economy recovers.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Dont worry about the fur prices. Teaching youre son is priceless! Many people trap and do not come out ahead on the money end of it. Like any other sport at the moment. Enjoy!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yeah. Actually, I don't really care much about the money end anyway. Just seems kind of a shame to pitch in a ditch. I may see if some people just want the carcasses for free or go through the motions only using a trail camera instead of an actual trap. That might be kind of educational anyway to see how the critters respond - an advantage I didn't have available back in the 70s and 80s when prices were good.

Raccoons have become a nuisance, muskrats are bad for pond dams, and have never liked possums so may target them with traps and foxes / coyotes with trail cameras.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 10/15/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trapping is worth more than money to fawns, turkeys, and small game. I do it for them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scottf270
Trapping is worth more than money to fawns, turkeys, and small game. I do it for them.

This is why I do it. I invested a lot of money this year and a return on investment will be in greater turkey and deer numbers

CK
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bobcats, beaver, marten, and red fox have favorable markets for better quality hides according to FHA Auction.
We'll trap some bobcats and coyotes, no market for coyotes it looks like though. Might get lucky and catch a badger.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Beaver is really the only "bright spot" but down markets are a great time to learn new sets and practice your fur put up.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Trapping makes a man a better hunter IMO.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Do it for the critters we do. And your son will thank you later.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
This is so spot on people don’t realize what kind of damage coons and opossums do to turkey nest. Unfortunately in Indiana bobcats are everywhere and the dnr will not put a season on them. Our small game is suffering bad!

My father taught my brother and I how to trap when we were young it was so fun from around 9-14 years old we had a little trap line. It was a lot of fun and your kid will really enjoy it. I would recommend the Fur-Fish-Game magazine they have a lot of good information on all sorts of trapping.

Last edited by Redhairy; 11/29/23.
Now with prices low would be a real good time for him to learn how to properly put up fur. If he makes a mistake wouldn't be real costly. He could also talk to a fur buyer and maybe get some points from someone who would be buying his furs. He would also learn how to cape a big game animal at the same time, learn how to put up fur for a taxidermy mount.

Now with prices low would be a real good time for him to learn how to properly put up fur. If he makes a mistake wouldn't be real costly. He could also talk to a fur buyer and maybe get some points from someone who would be buying his furs. He would also learn how to cape a big game animal at the same time, learn how to put up fur for a taxidermy mount.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Trapping problem animals for people is a good way to ingraciate you with land owners.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The ratty furs aren't worth anything in this
region, but as said in the ^ ^ ^ ^ other posts,
I'd rather have more turkeys and wabbits and
squirrels and game birds and more fawns
that are able to mature than have a bunch of
varmints that aren't worth anything for fur or
food.
There's some that would want the carcasses
and they could be contacted, and the practice
for efficiently and properly skinning out and
curing any pelts might be a valuable educational
tool for someone to learn
Trapping skills is a good thing to have just because

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tan my own bobcat and fox. They come out pretty good, and I sell\trade them walking
around at gun shows.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
poboy I do the same thing. I use TruBond tanning solutions to tan with. excellent results. Haven't bought any for some time now. I will need to order more.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by scottf270
+1

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Seeing the Idaho sale about two weeks ago, as far as money made per hour spent it’s not good. Adding in all other costs doesn’t help.

Western bobcats I think we’re in the 278.00 range, that’s far lower than just a few years back. Those were I’d say early cats so upcoming sales may be better.Fisher and marten lower. I think coyotes were avg 17.00. I wouldn’t put the effort of tossing them in the truck nonetheless skinning and handling them for that money.
Like Rob said northern beaver seem to be doing ok.

In a down fur market Ranger… proper fur handling is a must, gotta put a lot of focus on that. It makes laying steel or cable the easy part.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.