Hop To
S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Guys,
I've been hunting w Omega's for a coons age, my original rifle was passed down to my son when he started hunting, likely 12 years or so ago.
He's always had an eye on my "new" rifle, a stainless laminated laser that I have used to take a pile of deer.
This year I told him we could switch, so I mounted a scope on his rifle more suited to my aging eyes.
Took it to the range yesterday w our standard diet of two 777 pellets and Hornady SST's w the red sabots.
When I went to load the projectiles into the rifle, I could literally push them down the barrel w 1 finger on the ramrod, it was weird how little effort was needed to seat the bullet/sabot. .
That seems no bueno to me, was wondering what the group thinks may be the issue (if there is one).
Much appreciated.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Right diameter bullet for said sabot?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yes, all have been used prior, as recent as last fall.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So, how did it shoot? If it shot up to par I wouldn't worry about it. Could be several reasons, there could be small differences batch to batch with the sabots, or if it's been shot a ton, maybe the barrel's smoothed up some. Or if the tempst where you're at are in triple digits maybe the barrel expanded a smidge?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I can’t imagine what would of changed.. I’d probably knurl the bullets a little.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If they shot okay, I wouldn’t worry. I would make certain they don’t shift position while carrying as the last thing you want is an air gap between powder and projectile. Check the seating with the ramrod.

If you ever use BH with that bullet and sabot, it might cause ignition troubles since BH requires some resistance. Another brand of sabot, or a bullet of slightly larger diameter such as an unsized cast might help.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Back when you first used this rifle, same loading?

What loading was your son using prior to you using this last one that was "loose"?

I used an Omega for a while, but it's been long enough that I no longer remember what I used in it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try new sabots. Some plastics can age and get hard or shrink a little.

S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
We’ve used the same load of two 777 pellets and the 250gr Hornady SST’s for a long time

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a Z7 Omega. I use 777 loose powder and a 250 grain T/C Shockwave. After the first shot you almost have to drive the next bullet/sabot in. I bought this rifle when they first came out at Walmart and have used it ever season since then. Killed a bunch of deer with it. No telling how many rounds have been through it either. I use the black high pressure sabots. You might try them.

IIRC, the Shockwave is just a Hornady SST in a T/C box, I buy in bulk when I can.

Last edited by pyscodog; 09/24/23.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I use the black high pressure sabot with the SST bullet.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have an Omega and love it. I use loose 777 powder, PR Bullet Extreme Elite bullets, and their large rifle primer variflame adapters. I've been real happy with that setup for years.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’d try the Thor bullet sizing pack. Follow the instructions and pick the best size for your bore, then order some up.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.