Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Different things I know... But does anyone bare shaft tune? Do you also nock tune?

I've not done either. But being out of bowhunting for 10'ish years, I'm watching some videos and reading some articles. The YouTube videos from The Ranch Fairy are pretty damn interesting on the subjects. And they make sense.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bare shaft tune. At least on my current setup I did. Pick you point weight and start with full length shafts. Ranch Fairy has several good videos on the subject.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bareshaft as well. Have done both, bareshaft tuning is more consistent imo.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bare shaft

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bare shaft tune. I think it is more important in trad bows and the farther from center the riser is cut the pickier they are about being perfectly tuned for perfect flight.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TomM1
Bareshaft as well. Have done both, bareshaft tuning is more consistent imo.

I guess I didn't word it correctly....I'm not asking about "either/or." Watching the Ranch Fairy videos, he's suggesting both actually.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never heard of it until doing the new bow research. I'll be doing it for sure. It also looks like I'm under spined on my current set up.

I'm shooting 28" arrows, 62# draw with 400 shafts. It looks like I should be using 340 or 300's even.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you have great form and have bare shaft tuned perfectly, you can group bare shafts right with fletched shafts at 40 yards. I can't imagine why it would also be necessary to nock tune or how it would add to your tuned arrows.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Once you bare shaft and get it perfect, then You worry about nock tuning if fletch clearance becomes an issue. That’s my understanding. Every once in a while you get 1 or 2 arrows that won’t group with the rest. That’s when I would start screwing with the nock alignment.

Last edited by bbassi; 10/17/23.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RHClark
If you have great form and have bare shaft tuned perfectly, you can group bare shafts right with fletched shafts at 40 yards. I can't imagine why it would also be necessary to nock tune or how it would add to your tuned arrows.

Watch the Ranch Fairy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
Once you bare shaft and get it perfect, the. You worry about nock tuning if fletch clearance becomes an issue. That’s my understanding. Every once in a while you get 1 or 2 arrows that won’t group with the rest. That’s when I would start screwing with the nock alignment.
That's carbon arrows for you.

Also the reason I fletch with the same 3 colors. If an arrow will not group with the rest I can twist the nock to a different fletch as my coxk.frather and see if that brings it into the group.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Get a spine tester and the nock tuning can be done at a bench. It will also reveal what arrow manufacturers to avoid.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My experience also with traditional bows. But I will video, which is similar to paper nock tuning.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bareshaft tune. You'll have to do some searching here but I've posted quite a bit of content from when I had my shop. As for Ranch Fairy....what a joke.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Little tip about nock tuning. Nock tuning should be done when you first get a new dozen shafts. You're looking for reaction of those shafts off the string. Not necessarily looking for perfect holes through paper. You just want every shaft making an identical hole through the paper. Mark the top side of each arrow once this is achieved and fletch. That's the proper way to nock tune.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t do either. I paper tune with fletched arrows.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CRS

My experience also with traditional bows. But I will video, which is similar to paper nock tuning.

I adjust nock placement on the string and have even added wraps or wire to the nock end to bare shaft tune flight, but I don't paper tune and neither did world champion trad archers I knew when I was shooting competition.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Walk back tuning is something I think more folks should do. I never hear or see that emphasized. I do that and do not bare shaft or paper tune. I depend upon my groupings. If something doesn't seem to let me group well, I go to a professional.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dale06
I don’t do either. I paper tune with fletched arrows.

this is the more correct way to understand the flight of your arrows always at different distances with a back tension release only.

Last edited by pete53; 01/22/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bare shaft but with wraps of tape to compensate for the weight of the fletching. I also Ike electrical connection shrink tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,933
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.