Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thats why so many people lease BMW's. they drive them for 3 years turn them in and get a new one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't think BMW are junk, but they are over-engineered. 2 different shops spent 6 months looking at mine to figure out what was causing the traction control to error out.

Turns out it was a brass collar on the drive shaft that was corroded and screwing with the sensor. Thankfully it was under warranty because it accumulated $2500 in work to get there.

I got a laugh when I said "If you fart in a BMW with the windows closed, you're going to trigger a sensor."

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Thats why so many people lease BMW's. they drive them for 3 years turn them in and get a new one.
Considered that option; a lease on one of these will run about a grand a month for 12000 miles a year. The killer is they want you to pay $5-6k down on the lease which is gone. So 36k miles will cost about $40,000 to drive a $68k vehicle. Tells you all you want to know about depreciation on a new one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Considered that option; a lease on one of these will run about a grand a month for 12000 miles a year. The killer is they want you to pay $5-6k down on the lease which is gone. So 36k miles will cost about $40,000 to drive a $68k vehicle. Tells you all you want to know about depreciation on a new one.

True for just about any luxury vehicle today. I wouldn't lease a car simply because of the mileage cap, we drive too much.

I bought a low mileage 2019 BMW X7 (13kmiles) with the 6 cylinder motor about 6 months ago for my wife as a daily. 3 row seating was needed for the 3 grandkids and their child seats. Paid 64k for it. Great vehicle for the money, and we've already road tripped it to Calgary from Georgia. Average fuel mileage just over 25 for the whole trip, running about 10 over the limit most of the way, so 90 in S. Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. No glitches or problems so far, and great performance given the size of the vehicle. It also meets the 6000lb tax requirement. With good performance software, it is faster than my 2001 BMW 540i with Dinan mods, and uses about 15% less fuel. Technology has come a long way.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by badger

True for just about any luxury vehicle today. I wouldn't lease a car simply because of the mileage cap, we drive too much.

I bought a low mileage 2019 BMW X7 (13kmiles) with the 6 cylinder motor about 6 months ago for my wife as a daily. 3 row seating was needed for the 3 grandkids and their child seats. Paid 64k for it. Great vehicle for the money, and we've already road tripped it to Calgary from Georgia. Average fuel mileage just over 25 for the whole trip, running about 10 over the limit most of the way, so 90 in S. Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. No glitches or problems so far, and great performance given the size of the vehicle. It also meets the 6000lb tax requirement. With good performance software, it is faster than my 2001 BMW 540i with Dinan mods, and uses about 15% less fuel. Technology has come a long way.
That's why the Certified 2020 X5 with only 10k miles and 2 years of unlimited warranty got my attention. Seems like $50k is a pretty good deal?
BTW; we own a 2010 C350 Sport with 100k miles. Love driving the car; but it has had some expensive issues. You don't want to hit a pothole with the low profile AMG wheels; $1600 for 1 tire and wheel. I told the guy he must have misunderstood me; I only wanted one, not a full set smile
Or, a loose door handle that cost $1100 to replace entire panel

Last edited by Cruiser1; 10/16/23.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
This is why you never buy a German car.

Sixteen hours, full engine tear down just to change a thermostat:

On a 350 it would be 16 minutes.

Did you see the starter that is under the intake? Several Toyota/Lexus engines have the starter under the manifold also. GMAFB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbob

Did you see the starter that is under the intake? Several Toyota/Lexus engines have the starter under the manifold also. GMAFB

Porsche one-upped that in 2019. How about putting the starter inside the bellhousing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

That's why the Certified 2020 X5 with only 10k miles and 2 years of unlimited warranty got my attention. Seems like $50k is a pretty good deal?
BTW; we own a 2010 C350 Sport with 100k miles. Love driving the car; but it has had some expensive issues. You don't want to hit a pothole with the low profile AMG wheels; $1600 for 1 tire and wheel. I told the guy he must have misunderstood me; I only wanted one, not a full set smile
Or, a loose door handle that cost $1100 to replace entire panel

Inner door handles can be had (aftermarket) on Amazon and eBay for $50.00 or less plus labor. Mercedes only lists it with the whole door panel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

On an older V8 used in a Model that will get 500k on it if properly maintained.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

How do you maintain a starter? They either go out or don't.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I look at it as the lesser of two evils. Total unreliable POS or one that might have to get a starter replaced maybe once in its lifetime. I have never ever had a starter replaced in any car I have ever owned.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I look at it as the lesser of two evils. Total unreliable POS or one that might have to get a starter replaced maybe once in its lifetime. I have never ever had a starter replaced in any car I have ever owned.

Can't say I have had the same luck as you. The last starter that I had to replace was on a 2008 5.7L Toyota Sequoia. Wasn't under the intake, but it was easier to remove and replace after you removed the passenger exhaust manifold. You can do it without removing the manifold, but it is what Toyota suggests and there is a reason why.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the X3 over the X5 because of the smaller size and my Wife does too. My first was a 2006 and now I'm on my third, a 2019 X3 M40 with about 30,000 miles on it. I bought this one from a dealer with about 2,000 miles on it- it had been used as a loaner. The M40 engine is the turbo 6, and I strongly recommend the 6 over the 4 (if the 4 is even an option in the X5). My first BMW was a 2 year old 5 series bought from a dealer. The used car warranty worked perfectly when it had a valve train problem and I would use the BMW certified deal again without hesitation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Both are POS's. Get her a 4Runner.
Thanks; but not the type of vehicle we are looking for. I have been driving Landcruiser's since 1989(on my 5th one); so I am a Toyota fan.

I know somebody very well who has every Mercedes certification out there. He also works on the Beamers. He's the one that told me both of them are a piece of schit with very high maintenance costs. He cited just a few different parts to let me know the cost and how expensive they were to replace, plus expensive labor.

I commend you for the Land Cruiser.

All of the expensive repair reports spoken about above are exactly what my friend was speaking of.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wife drove an x5 from 2018 to 2022. She now drives a GLE450. For us, Mercedes wins hands down.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Wife drove an x5 from 2018 to 2022. She now drives a GLE450. For us, Mercedes wins hands down.
What do you like better about the GLE? It's bigger vehicle; correct? Any maintenance issues with the X5? Thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 10/16/23.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Would she be interested in a Lexus GX. Very comfortable and super reliable.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hear me out on this. Have you considered a Jeep Compass?It’s comfortable and has enough power for around-town errands.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by IZH27
Would she be interested in a Lexus GX. Very comfortable and super reliable.
Certainly a consideration; great vehicles, great re-sale. Not great gas mileage. We are retired now and may use this vehicle for some trips where we don't need the capacity of my Landcruiser. She hates the new Lexus big grills, from an appearance standpoint. I am not crazy about them either; pretty gaudy for such nice vehicles otherwise. She calls them Nascar grills smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
What do you like better about the GLE? It's bigger vehicle; correct? Any maintenance issues with the X5? Thanks

It might be a little bigger

BMW was one of the gas/hybrid ones. We negotiated the same price on a true gas one but my wife liked the idea of the hybrid and I got a big tax break from it. Well the hybrid part kind of sucks. Little to no range and engine hesitated when switching from electric to gas which could be unnerving when making a left turn across traffic at a busy intersection. One of the rear shocks was also having troubles when we traded it - the shock would lose compression somehow when the car was parked and it would squat over that tire. Start it up and it would correct itself. Google it. Pretty common problem if I recall correctly

Mercedes is better fit and finish, more powerful, and I personally think it looks better but that’s just me. I think we are at 18k miles on the Mercedes and the only issue is that the wipers suck and the dealership can’t figure out why and I haven’t taken the time to just replace the blades with aftermarket’s. One of my wife’s friends has the same car and no issue with the wiper blades

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.