Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks,
Sniffing around for a semi auto 12 gauge for coyote hunting at night , with a Pulsar night vision scope.
I was told to look at the Stoger M3500 Predator. Looks good,( don't most new guns?) , it does have a ported barrel which I'm not crazy about, but it's not too expensive.
I know nothing -zero-about Stoger shotguns. It's made in Turkey ....Also looking at the Savage Renegauge , made in USA.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good predator shotgun?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Have a nice weekend!
Semper Fidelis
Soup

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks,
Sniffing around for a semi auto 12 gauge for coyote hunting at night , with a Pulsar night vision scope.
I was told to look at the Stoger M3500 Predator. Looks good,( don't most new guns?) , it does have a ported barrel which I'm not crazy about, but it's not too expensive.
I know nothing -zero-about Stoger shotguns. It's made in Turkey ....Also looking at the Savage Renegauge , made in USA.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good predator shotgun?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Have a nice weekend!
Semper Fidelis
Soup
They're pretty popular in Eastern Virginia for the guys running deer with hounds and using buckshot. Lot of the clubs I've hunted with were mostly Benelli with quite a few Stoegers mixed in. Personally I haven't shot one though

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd skip the Savage Renegauge. To me it's heavy, clunky, and the trigger pull is not that great. Frankly, for what you get, I think its overpriced. For the price of a Renegauge you could get a Browning Maxus II which, IMO, is head and shoulders a better feeling gun.

The Stoeger is made in Turkey, but its essentially a Benelli. In fact. Stoeger is owned by Benelli and falls under the Benelli/Franchi umbrella. If something goes wrong, you have a good company backing it. I have never shot the Stoegers, but have handled them quite a bit and I think its a lot of gun for what you pay for them. Lots of good features. I've heard a lot of good about reliability unless you are shooting very light 2 3/4" loads in a 3 1/2" model, which is a not uncommon issue with any brand's 3 1/2" guns.

Another one to consider is the Winchester SX4. The Universal Hunter is drilled and tap for a scope rail. I have 2 SX4s and they are fantastic.

He has several videos on the SX4 and it is his main exhibition gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might wanna look for a used Winchester Super X2.

They're pretty reasonably priced for a Belgian-made gun. They are pretty much bullet proof. And they're friendlier at the hind end than most 3.5" semis

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I had an 1100 in the back of the safe -50 years old and I'm using that.
Thank you to all for your input.
Semper Fi
Soup

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have the Stoeger M3000 tactical.
The trigger was beyond horrible, Taran Tactical springs made it tolerable.
The factory stock has a worthless recoil pad and is long LOP.
I put a youth stock on it and a Sims pad.
The gun is finally usable.
Reportedly the extractors suck, supposed to swap out w a harder, sharper Benelli one.

So now I have a ghost ring non choked semi auto. It has a rail on top too.
May send the bbl off for Remchokes, it measures thick enough.

I have not done a burn down on mine yet, but so far its run heavy trap loads fine.
Can run it fast, but it'll beat the crap outta ya in original form.
Haven't tested it since I changed stock and pad.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/15/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have an 870 Supermag turkey model (23") that gets the nod for predator hunting.
Also have an 1100 magnum w Remchoke 26" bbl

They both suck (recoil) w turkey loads.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have the Stoeger M3000 tactical.
The trigger was beyond horrible, Taran Tactical springs made it tolerable.
The factory stock has a worthless recoil pad and is long LOP.
I put a youth stock on it and a Sims pad.
The gun is finally usable.
Reportedly the extractors suck, supposed to swap out w a harder, sharper Benelli one.

So now I have a ghost ring non choked semi auto. It has a rail on top too.
May send the bbl off for Remchokes, it measures thick enough.

I have not done a burn down on mine yet, but so far its run heavy trap loads fine.
Can run it fast, but it'll beat the crap outta ya in original form.
Haven't tested it since I changed stock and pad.
I have the same and done basically the same setup. I done the trigger myself and a local gunsmith installed rem choke system also. I did not need to change anything about the stock to me it really doesn't recoil that bad and I need all the length I can get. it's never had a hiccups along with you feed it the minimum 3 dram equivalent loads. after it's been shot a bit you can probably get by with a little less or load but I don't know that I would recommend that in any kind of a defense situation.. I have not yet changed my extractor but I have read the same recommending to get a Benelli one..

I do have a Holsun 510 mounted but this in my opinion requires a race cheek piece which I installed a black heavy cloth type with raised padded cheek piece.

Last edited by ldholton; 10/16/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I may get a slug bbl for my 1100 SP and run that instead.

Kinda deep into the Stoeger M3000 though.
700 dollar Turknelli LOL

Might be a Turdnelli...............see how it does after a couple hundred rounds.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/17/23.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Girsan MC312. It's great.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by model70man
Girsan MC312. It's great.

I haven't tried one of them out but I hear a lot of positive. if they are as good as some of the handguns they make they're going to be very good

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,701
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.