Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought my first Savage 10ML-II after wanting one for years. It arrived today, and I'm noticing an issue closing the bolt. You can see where it's rubbed the finish off on the bolt over time. When closing the bolt about half way it hits the receiver there, and the stock slightly. It'll close, but it almost pops closed as it pops over the receiver into the groove if that makes sense. Any idea what's going on here? I'm thinking this can't be normal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by slowr1der; 10/05/23.
GB1

H
H
I've had my savage MLll for 18 years and haven't had this problem. I suggest you start by taking the rifle apart. I hope he gave you the manual and breach plug removal tool. Open the bolt and loosen the rear action screw till the bolt slides out. Remove the ram rod. Then take out the breach plug with the tool. Then you can clean the barrel. Also soak the breach plug with hoppes or shooters choice. Take out the vent liner clean it and dry it. Lube the threads with anti seize lube. Also lube threads on the breach plug. Do not over tighten the vent liner or you won't get it out next time. Make sure the breach plug is really tight when you screw it back in. Put the ram rod in next, then the bolt and close the bolt. Then tighten the rear action screw. Open and close the bolt it should work fine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine hits the receiver like that as well but it manageable. It's a headspace issue where the bolt face is contacting the breech plug. Make sure your breech plug is firmly tightened.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is how the ML-II "locks" the action.
The bolt does not have opposing "wings" like a regular centerfire 110.
Also, do as Hotshot 828 suggests, remove break plug, clean up, reinstall.
Previous owner may have not kept it as clean as could be, especially if black powder was used, thus possibly caking the threads and making the breech plug harder to install.
One other thing to check, is the lower trigger guard screw, that the bolt rides on, this screw may be installed too tight.
There is a fine line to this screw as far as smoooooth bolt operation.
Good luck.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The breech plug may been updated to a precision rifle plug or something similar and the headspace is off. I fooled with one briefly and the bolt lifted a little too easy to suit me after we changed it.it’s a bit of a pain with that barrel nut because you think you’re correct on headspace and you tighten it all down tight and the headspace will be too tight and bolt doesn’t lock well.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.