Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
In a report in a gun magazine, I read last night, that the new Alaska Model of the Ruger Hawkeye shot groups that averaged 1.8 inch groups with the 270 grain bullets and THREE INCHES with the 300 grain bullets - using their OWN AMMUNITION!!!

Am I alone, in thinking - this is just awful?

Why, in a world where cheap rifles such as Tikka's, Weatherby Vanguards, Savages, Brownings, Mossbergs, Howas etc. are tested, and show they are capable of regularly breaking the MOA standard - should this be considered "Acceptable"?

Having paid almost $1400 for a Remington Ti that only shot 2 1/2 groups from the factory - and being told by Remington they wouldn't do anything about it - I've got a real problem with companies releasing modern bolt action rifles that are that poorly constructed! You feel totally "ripped off"!

Why are some companies still producing such crap?

Personally, I think EVERY rifle should have a return policy - that is - if they don't already guarantee the accuracy of what they sell. If, say, after a week or so, you can't get a rifle to shoot like most bargain priced Savages or Tikkas do - you should be able to return it for a full refund.

If we, as consumers, insisted on it - I think we'd get it.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Felt the same way about the Kimber Montana that I sold.Rick.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The only rifle that had unscceptable accuracy (to me) was a Remington 7600. In the last 20 yrs. or so I have had 20 or so rifles and with the exception of this 7600 all have been excellent shooters.

Now I have several new rifles that haven't been given the test...........we will see!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brian: I've been following posts regarding the Hawkeye both in wood & synthetic and that seems to be the average or maybe a bit less, but to me that is unacceptable. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way too many unknown variables in a report like that to draw any conclusions whatsoever.

1 -- Shooter skill/recoil tolerance,

2 -- Scope quality/focus/parallax,

3 -- Mounts/tightness/alignment,

4 -- Stock bedding/screw tension,

5 -- Range conditions,

6 -- Ammo/rifle compatability,

7 -- Benchrest quality...

And probably a bunch more that don't occur to me at the moment.

Rare for any rifle to come from the factory all sweetened up...always some work to do.

I wouldn't, personally, get too exercised until I had experienced poor accuracy after dealing with all the variables to my satisfaction.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Ruger Hawkeye I bought for my son, a 7mm-08 All-Weather, will shoot 2" or better groups at 200 yards with handloaded 120 gr. Ballistic Tips. That's good enough for me from a factory rifle.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Am I alone, in thinking - this is just awful?
Am I alone in wondering why people so eagerly accept anectdotal information as fact? tired

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Darrel,

The same author has regularly tested much cheaper rifles in the past that broke 1 MOA.

I'd assume he knows what he's doing.

I don't buy those excuses.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you mean you want the author and magazine - I can provide that...

It is in this month's issue - and it WAS published.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know about the Alaskan but, I just got a new Hawkeye all weather in 280. It gave me a couple of gropus in the 1.5" range with plain old Rem Core-Lokts. I expect good things from handloads and Accubonds when I get to it.
I also am getting good accuracy from a Ruger 1AH in 25-06. As far as American manufacturers go I think Ruger's quality has improved while Remington's has gone downhill. Had two new Rems l this year that are already gone and will not buy another from recent, (2003 or newer), manufacture.
JMHO.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In a report in a gun magazine, I read last night, that the new Alaska Model of the Ruger Hawkeye shot groups that averaged 1.8 inch groups with the 270 grain bullets and THREE INCHES with the 300 grain bullets - using their OWN AMMUNITION!!!

Is the shooter good enough to shoot small groups with a rifle in this recoil class? Not all folks can.

I shot my .375 Ruger Hawkeye African from the bench with the Hornady factory 270 gr and 300 gr loads, and IIRC I didn't shoot a group over 1.5". These are 3-shot groups, and I had the scope set at 6X. I have not worked up any loads yet, this is very limited data, and with only a single rifle. I would not get too exercised with this data without context.

The makers with accuracy guarantees also condition it on bore size: the over-30 stuff is not quoted the small numbers of the small bores.

By the way, Ruger does not make ammunition. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you mean you want the author and magazine - I can provide that...

It is in this month's issue - and it WAS published.
Oh, therefore it MUST be true and it MUST be accepted as fact and it MUST be representative of every other Ruger Hawkeye rifle. Great logic, dude. Should carry you quite aways in this life.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

I consider a 375 that will get 1.5 inch groups just fine. 1.8 with factory fodder is OK by me. Handloads can shave half an inch pretty easily.

Exactly just how small a cape buffalo/griz/elephant am you'all gonna shoot?

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 375 Ruger Alaskan shoots the factory Hornady 270-grain ammo at just a hair over an inch, but the 300 grainers ain't something I'd like to talk about. grin Though, the factory ammo is going out the door since I have 270-grain Swift A-Frames and Barnes TSX bullets to load up tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Darrel,

The same author has regularly tested much cheaper rifles in the past that broke 1 MOA.

I'd assume he knows what he's doing.

I don't buy those excuses.

Those aren't excuses -- those are reasons I don't pay a hell of a lot of attention to one test by one guy with two boxes of factory ammo. I don't know who screwed the action into the stock; I don't know who bolted the scope on; I don't know the range conditions the day the groups were shot. The fact the author could apparently shoot a Mossberg .243 or some such into less than an inch once and couldn't repeat the feat with a .375 don't impress me all that much.

But hey, if you want to use that as an excuse not to buy a rifle, it don't matter to me.

Be happy...we're living in the Golden Age grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would be as inclined ro blame the scope as the rifle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An analysis of one rifle with two types of ammo, the conclusions made in that article border on statistical irrelevance.

I've had off the shelf Rem 700s shoot sub MOA with factory fodder and I've had off the shelf Rem 700s shoot 3 inch groups with factory fodder. My point is, you can't judge a whole lineup by one rifle with one or even two types of ammo. There are way to many variables.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on muledeer, Royce, 300WinMag & BMT.

And to add to BMT's query: Just how far am y'all gonna be shootin' yo .375???

2" @ 100yds is still Minute-of-Griz @ 400yds!.. Or elk, or moose, or rhino, or buff, or elephant.

Last edited by Skeezix; 12/20/07.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ruger is well known for producing rifles that are hit and miss in the accuracy dept. This is one reason why this accuracy report is so believable. If this report came out about a CZ, Tikka, Browning etc. then the authors abilities and equip would sure be questioned. Because it is a Ruger it is just more of the same from them.
I know there are a lot of Ruger owners that have some real tack drivers and swear by them. I also know that there are just as many Ruger owners that swear at them instead of by them.
Rugged, Reliable, Ruger, but not accurate.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can honestly say, that of all the rifles I have owned, I have never had one that I couldn't make shoot well, with a good hand load, plus some rifle tuning. Three of my most recent rifles that are shooting very well are Ruger 77's, not Hawkeye's though. By very well, I mean 1/2 MOA for three shots at 100 yards.

Don

Last edited by DMB; 12/21/07.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,587
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.