Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
While playing fetch with my Airedale today, and with ducks opening on Monday here, a topic crossed my mind.

How do you prepare your dogs for larger birds? Mallards and honkers are significantly larger than doves and teal. Do you have some form of "weightlifting" regimen to strengthen their necks and mouth? I have a mallard in the freezer that I saved specifically for training, but have yet to pull it out. (A failure on my end.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only experience I have is with my female Golden. She experienced only ducks and grouse for years, and then got a chance for Canadas. Handled them no problem whatsoever.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
They amazingly adapt if they have the drive to retrieve. Back in the fall of 1993 I had bought a started 5 month old tri colored Llewellyn strain English setter female pup. She was hell on wheels grouse , roosters , ducks you name it . In late November when she was 7 months old I hit a 7-8# honker that took 200+ yards to finally drop out of the sky, it hit dead and she had marked it so I sent her. She ran right to it mouthed it a couple of times finally settling on base of the neck and brought it back. Dragging on both ends. Sights like that make you a dog man forever..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
They amazingly adapt if they have the drive to retrieve. Back in the fall of 1993 I had bought a started 5 month old tri colored Llewellyn strain English setter female pup. She was hell on wheels grouse , roosters , ducks you name it . In late November when she was 7 months old I hit a 7-8# honker that took 200+ yards to finally drop out of the sky, it hit dead and she had marked it so I sent her. She ran right to it mouthed it a couple of times finally settling on base of the neck and brought it back. Dragging on both ends. Sights like that make you a dog man forever..mb

I had a similar event with my pup and her first exposure to live birds. We had been using a pigeon on a teather and she was doing amazing. I though the bird didn't have much life left so un-tethered it. It caught a gust of wind and sailed no less than 100 yards in a mesquite and brush flat.... she retrieved it to hand at a sprint.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Drive overcomes any size difference. Doves to greater Canada geese.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Shes an Airedale, no lack of drive so I am not worried. I've never killed a goose, but my buddy and I are making a trip here in a couple of weeks with the specific goal of bagging some geese. I am sure she will do great. This is her first waterfowl season, but she was retrieving mallards in the backyard at 4 months old last year.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd add this to the list of things I wouldn't ever worry about. I'm sure it will work out just fine

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What's the limit on geese where you hunt? I doubt 5 or so geese a day would wear out a dog.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not so much worried about her getting worn out, the idea was more about the strength to carry such a large bird when she hasn't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why is this a concern? I must be missing something.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Not so much worried about her getting worn out, the idea was more about the strength to carry such a large bird when she hasn't.

Like I said before
I can assure you that as time goes on, she will surprise you more and more at what she is capable of.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Why is this a concern? I must be missing something.

Young dog, first season, not really bred for retrieving ducks/geese.

And, just a topic to be discussed.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Not to open a can of worms but I force fetch my dogs. The idea being that when given the command to “fetch”, the dog will pick up whatever it’s told to. I always use a variety of objects of different sizes and weights. This teaches them to carry and hold the object in the most efficient way. It also will strengthen the neck and jaw muscles. Now I know I’m a little different because I expect my dogs to not only pick up all manner of birds both upland and waterfowl, but they also are expected to pick up large fur game as well, foxes, coyotes, rock chucks, jackrabbits etc.

On the flip side, I’ve also had dogs (mostly labs) that just flat surprised me. If the drive to retrieve is there, and the dog is given the opportunity, he’ll figure it out. Whether by a wing butt, neck, or any way they can get ahold of it. I’d just make good on giving him a chance , but like I said above, you can train for it as well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool pics mbogo,,somewhere I have a pic of my old flat coat retriever with his front legs up on the ribs of a 4.5 year old buffalo cow I shot. he had that I can't believe I did this look on his face. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Had one for years and used it often:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/Dokken-Dead-Fowl-Trainer-Canada-Goose?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CHunting%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&gclsrc=ds

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a Dokken goose, it's about 18 years old and absorbs a lot of water so it gets heavier as the day goes on. In my limited experiences when dumping out a pile if stuff to retrieve, the dogs will go out and bring the goose back first; actually it is a toss up between a fox and the Dokken goose. We were water training and even the Teckel (wirehair daschshund) wanted the goose Dokken over smaller stuff. She could get it to the bank but not up on the bank.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Agree on the Dokken Goose. Works great and definitely helped my dog get used to bigger game. I started with wings taped on either side. Good Luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.