Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by horse1
The challenge w/gold is having a "spendable" size piece to use as payment. If we're in some sort of situation where you're paying for goods and/or services with physical gold, the price of things is going to be whatever size chunk you've got. Nobody is going to wait while you carve 1/4 Oz off your gold bar, they're going to want the gold bar.
Silver coins for smaller purchases. Gold for larger trades.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/19/23.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The challenge w/gold is having a "spendable" size piece to use as payment. If we're in some sort of situation where you're paying for goods and/or services with physical gold, the price of things is going to be whatever size chunk you've got. Nobody is going to wait while you carve 1/4 Oz off your gold bar, they're going to want the gold bar.
You can accumulate gold coins that are .11 Troy ounce. There's also silver, which can be had in all sizes, down to silver dimes containing a mere 0.072 Troy ounce each, up to a kilogram bar, and everything in between.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody is going to wait while you carve 1/4 Oz off your gold bar, they're going to want the gold bar.

[Linked Image from gold-price.com.au]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hawkeye, if you are paying for stock trades you are with the wrong broker.

No comparison as with gold ....none at all.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have some 1/10th oz gold coins. That less than $200 a pop.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cisco1

How do the brokers make a living?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
even if you had 'spendable' size gold, who is going to be setting the price at the time of the transaction? For SHTF, gold and diamonds are just awful when it comes to dependability.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
For those that do own it, what is the basis (how much) for the SHTF scenario?

I keep some physical boomer rocks around mostly for the slight chance I might want to use them as a stopgap. I don’t buy into any of the common SHTF scenarios where an economic collapse in the US would happen too fast to liquidate other assets, or happen in such a way that fiat and securities become worthless.

There are reasonable scenarios where it might make sense to transact in boomer rocks. Probably fewer than in a decentralized crypto but who knows.

Having a few % of assets in physical gold or silver doesn’t really have much opportunity cost.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
How many stocks have increased in value 580% in 23 years?

I'm sure there's a few. But not many.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Brokerages have more than 109 ways to make money other than trading fees. Margin loans are a big one, and securities lending for the shorts who are probably trading on margin.

The more recent one is getting paid for order flow. There are outfits that will pay them to send trades their way. A big part of the reason this has value for those involved is the data they get on what positions of what size are being taken to feed their high speed trading systems.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

An absolute ton. Just an S&P 500 index fund would return close to that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The ones that do it "commission free" or for next to nothing like Robinhood are compensated most often by payment for order flow. Basically, they are getting a kickback for poor executions. The SEC did a study and Robinhood paid a $65,000,000 penalty for making claims that their executions were "equal" to the other firms like Merrill Lynch, etc... The SEC found it would have been cheaper for the clients to pay a traditional commission vs. the "no commission" in most all of the transactions.

Nothing is for free.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Nobody is going to wait while you carve 1/4 Oz off your gold bar, they're going to want the gold bar.

[Linked Image from gold-price.com.au]

I have some of these in both gold and silver. The premiums aren't bad on the gold ones but are too high on the silver ones. I only buy the silver ones when a local shop gets them because they give me a deal on them. I got a good deal on a 100g gold one from them a few years ago. I only paid a bit over spot. I bought 20g gold ones for my kids.

For small silver I prefer mercury dimes.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 10/19/23.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Longbob
Nothing is for free.
My point exactly. They have to make it somewhere. Their living doesn't just appear out of thin air. Ultimately, it comes from the buyers and sellers of their product. It's just hidden when it's "commission free."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I have never owned gold and never will. For those that do own it, what is the basis (how much) for the SHTF scenario?
Exactly. Investing in gold in normal times is one thing. Hoarding gold and silver for a shtf type of situation will leave many in rough shape if chit ever does hit the fan. Society devolves into pure chaos and guns, ammo, food, fuel, water ect will be where everyone wished they put their money

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Bristoe

An absolute ton. Just an S&P 500 index fund would return close to that.

The time period chosen to do a comparison of gold to any index will greatly skew outcomes.

Another example….

Do the math….. one non-gold bug financial site calculated the total return on the S&P from 2000 to today at 379.74 % … and that is with all dividends re-invested and no income taxes paid.

S&P in year 2000…about 1320….today at 4300….4300/1320 = 3.25

Gold in 2000….about 285….today at $1950. 1950/285 = 6.84

Btw…. One previous poster commented that the best way to acquire metals is through inheritance. This is pretty much true. Especially good at avoiding “inheritance tax.” Also, the cost basis for the ones getting the inheritance is fixed at the current price at time of death.

SHTF may be quite far away time wise, but that doesn’t mean times won’t get worse between now and then. Boomer rocks might come in handy.

Last comment….there has been a “market” for gold for thousands of years. This market may change in how it is conducted, but it will not go away. There may be more bartering needed than we would like, but the market will be there. Anybody who grew up near the Mexican border knows about “bartering.” If the circumstances of a barter don’t look good, make sure the other side of the transaction knows about your wing man hiding in the weeds.

Last edited by TF49; 10/19/23.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hawkeye,

Don't get into stocks ....you do not have the mental acuity.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Everybody gets excited about gold and silver when they hit peak prices. That’s when you sell, not buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one has disposable wealth in bad times, by all means buy gold. In bad times is when people will be more likely to sell at an affordable price as they will be willing to unload it for a deal. (meal)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,

Don't get into stocks ....you do not have the mental acuity.
I’ll turn in my Series 7 immediately.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 2ndwind, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,587
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.