Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since Thompson Center (Smith and Wesson) stopped making the Contender and Prohunter single shots, prices for these rifles have climbed markedly.

But first, some of you might have heard of SSK Firearms and JD Jones. He started the company and part of the business was making things for his JDJ line of cartridges. SSK is now offering single shot frames and they are in hot demand. They are satisfying the need for single shot lovers, but production is slow. SSK 50 frames are an improvement, so they say, on the original TC Contender. I decided to order an SSK frame rather than wait for TC to rise from the ashes.

A few companies have owned TC Arms and I sincerely hope that it finds a new home. Single shots aren't as popular as ARs or even bolt actions, but they have a loyal following.

S&W has Thompson Center up for sale, but after a few years there have been no buyers. It is speculation on my part, but buying this company might be a good fit for a medium sized manufacturing business.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I really like my Contender and would like another frame for the barrels I have. I contacted Clay Smiley (Prophet River) and he has put one on order for me from SSK.

If you are interested in this frame, or perhaps have some Contender barrels in need of another frame, you should contact Prophet River.

At this time, a firm price has not been determined, but I suspect that these frames will cost about $900 to $1000, all in.

To give you an idea of what it looks like in rifle form, this is my Contender. Generally speaking, this frame handles most cartridges up to 55K PSI. A great varmint or Whitetail rig.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Steve. Good to hear that SSK is producing ss frames. I have the Contender with 14” barrels in 223/44mag and .375wcf but unfortunately is registered restricted.
Encore’s I have two frames with 204/22-250/25-06/270 & a 15” 7-08 that is a blast to shoot and carry. I’m somewhat of a fan of single shots as I have a Farmingdale Sharps 45/120 as well as a Savage 219 in 25/20 but the real jewel is a Sabatti 98DL in 7x57R.
Did Clay give any approximate delivery time?

Last edited by 450yukon; 10/19/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, they had a rocky start. My understanding was that they were having a problem finding the right company to supply the cast frame. That appears to be solved!

You have quite the collection! Clay didn't give me a time. I just contacted SSK about stock sets and fasteners. I want to confirm exactly which screws they are using to attach the buttstock and forend. I asked if they had a ballpark time for the next batch. Hopefully, they will reply with an approximate time.

I am guessing, but based on the time the last group waited, it could be the spring. In the meantime, I will get a stock set (Boyds) and find the attaching screws, scope bases, etc.

If I get an approximate time, I will post it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12savage, 59 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.