Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you for that, I ordered one from GPS city and it will ship on the 20th Nov as it is currently on back order.

Seriously pleased with doing away with shooting over the Chrony, a big upgrade.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just about anything is a big upgrade over "shooting over the Chrony"!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Almost all the demo teams at the PRS expo in Texas were running these units today. Very impressive watching them work on both a subsonic 22 then a 50 BMG.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just about anything is a big upgrade over "shooting over the Chrony"!

You are dead right about that.

I am really looking forward to retiring this.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 10/21/23.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It also apparently doesn't have the velocity and caliber limits of the Labradar.

Will the Garmin read 17 calibers? I have the Labradar and like it. Easy to set up and no tying up other shooters while I set up the chronograph. The one thing I don’t like is that it won’t read 17 caliber bullets. And sometimes it doesn’t catch 22s.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This Garmin is going to eat LabRadar’s lunch and dinner

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the Garmin Xero S1 trapshooting unit. I find the real value of this tool is in fine tuning gun fit as the machine allows you to know, not just think you know, where your pattern is centered relative to the clay. Turns guesswork into useful data points. Kind of spendy and still needs some finetuning but I can see where this technology will become really useful.

Good to hear Garmin is expanding their offering.

Last edited by outahere; 10/21/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mart
It also apparently doesn't have the velocity and caliber limits of the Labradar.

Will the Garmin read 17 calibers? I have the Labradar and like it. Easy to set up and no tying up other shooters while I set up the chronograph. The one thing I don’t like is that it won’t read 17 caliber bullets. And sometimes it doesn’t catch 22s.

From what I’ve seen yes. it even capture bb’s

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rolly
I wonder how this unit works if you are shooting at a range with benches nearby with other shooters. If it picks up your shots will it also pick up the shots from the benches adjacent to yours and mess up your readings.
A few guys doing Beta testing tell us that is not an issue.

I sent my (PRE)order in to Midway. I do not know when it will be filled.

I am just frustrated with the $200 CED M2. It works really well on an overcast day, without direct sunlight. But the last three trips to the range have been bright and clear. I failed to get even one chronograph reading despite numerous tries over the three range sessions.

Skyscreens do no good as the sun is not directly overhead. A doppler unit should cure any such issues.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you return to a previous string and add to it?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I think I'm gonna need one of these.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RickBin
Rick, I have not seen that mentioned.

Me?

I just flip back to the page in the notebook where I wrote that previous string.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The specs for the radar itself on both the LR and Garmin are virtually identical. I have been told the Garmin does seem to pick up 22 cal bullets better than the LR but still misses sometimes. Other than the possibilty of reading small caliber bullets it's appears to simply be a smaller and handier version of the LR. Not withstanding John Snow's breathless review of the Xero. As long as the lithium battery holds out anyway.... I've already had one Anker 10k millliamp battery die on me in the 4+ years I've had my LR. Hopefully Garmin provided a way to access and change out batteries easily.

The biggest drawback to the LR is it's inability to return to previous shot strings and add more shots. I"ve read through the Xero manual and nowhere does it seem to suggest that returning to previous strings is possible either.

Luckily I have three ring binders with 40+ years of velocities and any kind of load data I choose to enter including targets. Better yet I've never deleted anything from my binders by pushing the wrong button........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

That's the first question I asked and tried to find when I (quickly) read though the manual. I couldn't find anything that suggested a guy could return to previous strings.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great.

Finally got my hands on a LabRadar a few months ago and now it's obsolete...

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This looks slick! Will get one eventually

Lou

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Great.

Finally got my hands on a LabRadar a few months ago and now it's obsolete...
LOL. I wouldn’t go that far just yet…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not seeing that ability in their manual. They show how to start a session, pause a session, end a session and then go back and look at previous sessions, but it seems recording shots will be linear with no re-opening a stored session.

Garmin Owner's Manual - Recording Shot Data

Might be something to recommend to them for version 1.1.

Share Ideas

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought my LabRadar in 2015. From then until present day I've used the LabRadar a whole bunch more than I would've used my old Chrony or 35P because the LR is so simple to set up. It's so easy that I very rarely shoot without setting up the LR.

I've gotten 9 trouble-free years out of a piece of electronic equipment that met my needs as I don't have any sub .224 bore diameters, nor any loads that go over 4K FPS. WTF else electronic lasts 9 yrs without either breaking or having a better mousetrap making it obsolete?

I love the innovation Garmin has put into the smaller size and extra functionality of capturing the faster speeds. I hope the Garmin is easier to "aim" than the LR or has a simple add-on for that makes it so.

IMO, the biggest benefit to the radar chronograph and ubiquitous hand-held LRF is that it gets harder every day for ammo/projectile manufacturers to fudge their velocity/BC figures.

Last edited by horse1; 10/22/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading the linked (sparse) manual, maybe you can “pause” a session, start a second session while the first is paused, then pause the second session and resume the first session.

Am I asking for too much?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,898
Posts18,479,278
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.