Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you've ever come across dangerous and open old water wells while out walking in the woods? Or, even old test holes from mining or mineral test drill holes.

I know in the Northeast we have some that were at one time were covered over with wood, but have now since rotted and have become quite hidden and dangerous.

Have you seen these in your area? Have you seen any that are quite hidden and dangerous in your area?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can think of at least 3. This one, for whatever reason, really caught Rock's attention.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Wow! That one is crazy! Great post!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are two old hand dug water wells like that on the Ranch. Both are covered with a big ole steel plate, though.

The oldest of the two was said to have been preferred by prohibition area bootleggers of the area for the best tasting water for making their whiskey. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes. I know of a few. They could certainly be dangerous

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Came across one hand dug open water well and it was terrifying the way it blended in.

I grew up in an famous mining district in Idaho that had mining production until the 1980's. Also worked surveying timberlands there's for dept interior. There have been times when I came across open mine shafts and it was creepy for sure. Since then the state and EPA has done exhaustive reclaiming and blocked off old mining adits and filled in vertical shafts. Out west in places like Arizona and Nevada open shafts are a common thing to be mindful of. Hate being underground having worked in it for a few decades.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho was a very busy place in the gold rush days. There are mines all over the mountains. Most are closed up but I've seen some that are still open. I don't know anything about mining claims but I think many are worked a couple days a year or whatever it takes to maintain the claim.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out west there are abandoned mines and bore hole galore. Being a driller during the uranium boom, I worked for most major mining companies. Most holes were for discovery of mineral deposits, but some work was seismic in which a hole was drilled, and explosives installed and detonated, and some assessment work. Hundreds of holes a year and the mining companies never had us cap or plug any. Large pits were dug next to each hole site to be used to produce our drilling mud. These were filled with a heavy bentonite slurry. Just walked off and left these as well.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I almost fell into an open mine air shaft while turkey hunting in NE Washington. Very deep shaft. I doubt one would survive a fall down that hole.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was watching a forensics show awhile back and an older gentleman disappeared while deer hunting. They eventually found him deceased in an old abandoned well. Dont remember what state this happened at, Im thinking PENN or NY

Last edited by Jericho; 10/22/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho was a very busy place in the gold rush days. There are mines all over the mountains. Most are closed up but I've seen some that are still open. I don't know anything about mining claims but I think many are worked a couple days a year or whatever it takes to maintain the claim.
Idaho has an historic silver mining belt. I've got an old operation literally in my backyard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was stomping around on an old wooden door hunting rabbits one day with Dad and Pap, they like to have tore me a new one. It was at an old house site and was covering a well, Dad lifted it and showed me.

40+ years ago, can't even remember where it was. I'd bet it's an open trap now, if not built over by some Import Prick.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes I have. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which is mining country back during the copper and iron ore boom of the late 1800s through the 1960s The place is full of old mine shafts and it has plenty of old water wells due to old abandoned homesteads and farms. One of my dad’s friends lost a beagle in an old well hunting rabbits years back. They covered it but I’m sure it rotted through by now as it was back in the early 80”s. The water and snow load would test the best treated wood.

Last edited by brinky72; 10/22/23.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Jericho
I was watching a forensics show awhile back and an older gentleman disappeared while deer hunting. They eventually found him deceased in an old abandoned well. Dont remember what state this happened at, Im thinking PENN or NY

Terrifying and awful way to go

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found an open 12 inch cased well up where I used to shoot. A few years later, a developer was trying to locate same. Someone in the interim had capped and covered it, so we had to go to a metal detector. There was standing water within about 15 feet of the surface.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seems uncapped gas wells are in the news too

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
There was one on a previous lease I was on. No one knew it was there until the sticks and leaves that were covering it, happened to fall in on their own. We put in some T-posts and rope and surveyor’s tape to mark it.

I’ve found two stump holes accidentally. One was in a swampy area in Chesapeake, Va. i was easing along in about a foot of water and the next thing I knew I was waist deep in a hole about 4’ in diameter that had been covered with leaves.

Another, I found walking out of a hardwood bottom with a flashlight after sunset with a climbing stand on my back. I took a step and my left foot went went down so fast and deep that my right knee hit me in the jaw. I rolled over, got the climber off my back and took inventory. Nothing broken but I was stunned for a bit. 🥴

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We had one in a 10acre woodlot north of our farmhouse. We all knew where it was, and it was pretty obvious, because the hogs Dad kept in that woodlot kept the undergrowth down to nuthin'. Dad finally got around to filling it in where it wasn't a hazard any more.

There are a helluva lot of old farmsteads in N/C Missouri that have fallen down and all of them had to have a water source of some type, so we encountered the old wells pretty often. LIkely as not, about all that was left of anyone living there might be only the foundation of an old house or barn. You just have to pay attention where you walk.
Since we were usually rabbit or squirrel hunting, we were paying attention.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Stepped on a couple of big tree stumps that were cut flush with the ground. Years of rot cause me to fall up to my crotch. Nasty smelling and of course, soaked to the bone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's even scarier than some of the high mountain abandoned mine shafts in the Rockies are the roads going to them. I've been on some that are spooky with a UTV. I can't imagine driving a 2 ton truck up some of those roads.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 20 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.