Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From the yard. There's probably 2 or 3 buckets left on the tree, and 1 bucket collected a bit earlier:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/21/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What are you gonna do with those? They taste like Murphy's Oil Soap. I burn 'em.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
How long would it take to shell those?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I was a kid we picked many of them up and dumped them at the edge of the driveway to run over and get the hulls off them. Ours this year are small compared to most years as we have had a very dry year. Wonderful eating!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by GAGoober
How long would it take to shell those?

They're some hard m'fers.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've heard, if you want to kill fish just throw those green ones in a pond.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just don't store them long in that bucket, they're liable to rust it out!

I need to find somewhere I can go pick some up, though I still have plenty from years past. I use them to dye leather. They will actually tan or retan leather too. I have never had much success in dyeing fabric with them, though I have sure tried... and tried, and tried, and tried...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Stophel

I need to find somewhere I can go pick some up, though I still have plenty from years past. I use them to dye leather. They will actually tan or retan leather too. I have never had much success in dyeing fabric with them, though I have sure tried... and tried, and tried, and tried...

What part do you use?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You could get a couple of 55 gallon drums off of my property. The biggest Black Walnut tree is right in front of the house. I go to war against the fallen walnuts with a zero turn lawnmower.

I don't know how they know. But the morning after I chop up a bunch the yard is filled with crows picking the nut fragments out of the grass. I rarely see a crow around here any other time.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
brother will process them.

I guess we should sample one before before processing them.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DicknJane

What part do you use?

The hulls. Let them get dry, and you can break the hulls off the nuts with your hands (and a hammer) and you can do it without turning your hands black.... too much. And you can still keep the nuts for later for eating, if you want.

I don't really mess with them when they are still fresh green and juicy, but it doesn't take long at all for them to dry enough to work with. They will store a long time dry, though my supply is probably beginning to get a bit too old now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don't waste time with a commercial nutcracker- - - - -I use a big bolt and nut welded to piece of heavy angle iron and a 1/2" drive impact wrench.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I boil and use for dye

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

What part do you use?

The hulls. Let them get dry, and you can break the hulls off the nuts with your hands (and a hammer) and you can do it without turning your hands black.... too much. And you can still keep the nuts for later for eating, if you want.

I don't really mess with them when they are still fresh green and juicy, but it doesn't take long at all for them to dry enough to work with. They will store a long time dry, though my supply is probably beginning to get a bit too old now.

Thanks I had no idea. The nuts are a nuisance around here. It's hard to begrudge the species given their leaf drop being so minimal and largely blowing away on its own.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Don't waste time with a commercial nutcracker- - - - -I use a big bolt and nut welded to piece of heavy angle iron and a 1/2" drive impact wrench.

I've had the best luck with a 6" bench vice, but the nuts are super fragrant and pretty terrible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They'll lose a bit of the "whang" in their flavor over time, but still, I will only eat a few of them at a time.

I can eat me a mess of hickory nuts though!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you gonna do with those? They taste like Murphy's Oil Soap. I burn 'em.
Why did you taste Murphy's Oil Soap?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boil. Your steel traps in the hulls to get the scent and the shine off helps keep em from rusting also

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they wouldn't last the day around here... phuqkin' Squirrels...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A hand corn sheller works well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 17 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.