-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Come get all you want in California…. They ain’t worth crap anymore….. guys used to get over $3 a pound until the Chinese planted a couple hundred thousand acres…. I heard one guy got about .04 cents a pound after cost but Most guys that still have them planted can’t afford the cost to harvest them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I went for a drive in the country today and I ran over about 95 of those damn things.
Every hour one lands on the metal roof of my toolshed, quite noisy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a good use. I made my summerbeam from black walnut. Plus this tree killed every potato and blueberry in my garden, so I had an axe to grind.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As the others said. Make dye/stain with them. This rifle was refinished with my homemade stain made from black walnut hulls.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The squirrels went bonkers with all the nuts. Pecan trees around here as well. This is the best crop of black walnuts we've had in 40 years.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I was a kid (60+ years ago) myself and a couple neighbor kids gathered up a couple bushel baskets of black walnuts just to peel the green bark off the nuts. We were stained so bad we looked like darkies (at least our hands). Ruined our clothes and my parents loving temperment (especially my Dad's).

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
around the farm this year there's more on the ground than one could ever pick up in a month or two.. $16 /100 is a starting price at the whole of this year in this area. sometimes we have some kids pick them up around here sometimes we don't... we literally have thousands of pounds on the ground... last year year before last youngsters really like picking him up and done an excellent job got a big majority of them and made like $3,000 in a month of picking..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I sold the heck out of them when I was a kid. That & shoveling snow off neighbors sidewalks was about the only cash source I had before I was 13 or 14.

Just checked, $16 this year, hulled hundred weight. A kid could still make decent pocket change.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by DicknJane
What are you gonna do with those? They taste like Murphy's Oil Soap. I burn 'em.
Why did you taste Murphy's Oil Soap?

Your mom douches with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Here is a good use. I made my summerbeam from black walnut. Plus this tree killed every potato and blueberry in my garden, so I had an axe to grind.
Nice

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got a 5 gallon bucket of them and there's a lot more where they came from. Elderly friend of mine has a big tree next to his gravel driveway and the yard & driveway are loaded with them. One day I was picking them up for him and almost got hit by a few that were falling down every couple minutes. I know the squirrels love them but other than that I don't use 'em for anything. Any uses for them that won't require a lot of time & effort? I have zero experience with them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
As the others said. Make dye/stain with them. This rifle was refinished with my homemade stain made from black walnut hulls.

How do you make stain out of them?

Last edited by Hook; 10/21/23.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My cousin uses them to dye his gray hair.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by DicknJane
Originally Posted by Stophel
Just don't store them long in that bucket, they're liable to rust it out!

I need to find somewhere I can go pick some up, though I still have plenty from years past. I use them to dye leather. They will actually tan or retan leather too. I have never had much success in dyeing fabric with them, though I have sure tried... and tried, and tried, and tried...

What part do you use?

If you let them lay out in the back yard, the outer hulls will eventually turn dark brown and start to slough off the nut. If you handle them at that point, it will become obvious about the "dye". Your hands will turn dark brown like the hull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 20 acres of timber with 2 or 3 walnut trees per acre. The squirrels and deer love them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

That 99 looks REAL nice. What's your black walnut stain recipe?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gunzo
I sold the heck out of them when I was a kid. That & shoveling snow off neighbors sidewalks was about the only cash source I had before I was 13 or 14.

Just checked, $16 this year, hulled hundred weight. A kid could still make decent pocket change.

Yeah, I don't remember ever seeing the price that high... $6- $7 on a good year maybe. That being said, I've only seen two pickups hauling walnuts this year but the closest buyer is about 20 miles away.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
From the yard. There's probably 2 or 3 buckets left on the tree, and 1 bucket collected a bit earlier:

I have a (plastic) bucket full in my garage I picked up in Ohio (??) driving back from NY State a couple of years back, all dried out now.

Old Ohio Territory camo; I have a white pair of period pants I’ve been intending to dye with ‘em, I recently bought another (not white) pair so I can afford to ruin the white ones 🙂

I’m told rusty iron nails as a mordant, leave em soak with the walnut husks. Gonna have to get a pair of long kitchen gloves.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
From the yard. There's probably 2 or 3 buckets left on the tree, and 1 bucket collected a bit earlier:

That's a walnut?

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I have a (plastic) bucket full in my garage I picked up in Ohio (??) driving back from NY State a couple of years back, all dried out now.

Old Ohio Territory camo; I have a white pair of period pants I’ve been intending to dye with ‘em, I recently bought another (not white) pair so I can afford to ruin the white ones 🙂

I’m told rusty iron nails as a mordant, leave em soak with the walnut husks. Gonna have to get a pair of long kitchen gloves.

Birdy,

If you can find an old cast iron wash pot to dye in, you don’t need a mordant. Got two here on the place if you wanna come dye them. Matter of fact, got a big jug of dye I boiled up week before last

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.