Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
3+ hours long.

Boring.

Interesting period piece, some familiar faces. The guy who plays the Arkansas Sheriff Deputy who goes looking for July Johnson in Lonesome Dove, he's in there too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm going to see it next week. If it's even remotely close to the book, I have no doubt it will be good.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a lot of cool vehicles, a lot of unexpected period details, and there were a lot of cold-blooded sumbitshes hanging around them rich Indians

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
3+ hours long.

Boring.

Interesting period piece, some familiar faces. The guy who plays the Arkansas Sheriff Deputy who goes looking for July Johnson in Lonesome Dove, he's in there too.

Barry Corbin. Texas actor.

He did a talk at a dinner the other day my cousin attended at an old historic fort south of Abilene. ( https://fortchadbourne.org/index.html ) My cousin said he was great, and talked freely of his experiences in movies and such.

He's getting kinda long in the tooth. Glad he is.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many scenes filmed here in Pawhuska, Osage County.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This could be the best review one could ask for.

If a fella that watches birds says its 3+ hours and Boring, not a chance I’ll watch it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Koch Industries has a history stealing oil from the Osage Nation.
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...-4-brother-against-brothers/62230554007/

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 10/22/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lily Gladstone, from Browning, does steal the movie. She is pretty good in her lead role. If personalities come through in acting she seems like a genuinely good woman.

In fact I can’t fault the acting from any of the cast. Scorsese to pulled out all the stops in looking to get period accuracy. It’s just that it’s obvious what’s happening from the first reel and it takes 3+ hours to sort itself out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lived in Ponca City as a tween. It was across the river from Osage County. The Osage did themselves a favor in getting their land deeded to themselves.

If I remember correctly they owned all the mineral rights in the county. Everything under a foot or so below the surface. My uncle worked for the natural gas company and had to get permission from the tribe every time the dug in the county.

He told stories about tribe members buying a car, running it out of gas, and the dealer selling them another.

Was excited to watch it, but 3+ hours long..?

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I imagine that, like all movies these days that deal with the past, it features plenty of gratuitous cruelty.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ernest Burkhart lived with my wife's family, after he was released from prison.
May he burn in Hell for what he did to those young girls.
Perverted scum.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Ernest Burkhart lived with my wife's family, after he was released from prison.
May he burn in Hell for what he did to those young girls.
Perverted scum.

I remember you telling me about him.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Many scenes filmed here in Pawhuska, Osage County.

Jack Fisk was the set designer, jumped through a lot of hoops to get it to feel like 1920's

To render the events as accurately as possible, Scorsese had decided to film the movie in Osage County. It would be a sprawling, technically complicated shoot, with much of the undertaking falling to Fisk. Unlike production designers who use soundstages or computer-generated imagery, he prefers to build from scratch or to remodel period buildings, and even more than most of his peers, he aspires to exacting historical detail. His task would be to create a full-scale replica of a 1920s boom town atop what remains of 2020s Pawhuska.

(according to an article I read in the MSM)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/05/magazine/jack-fisk-movie-sets.html?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I imagine that, like all movies these days that deal with the past, it features plenty of gratuitous cruelty.

Not so much, just matter of fact, cold blooded and banal, about like a Sopranos hit. Not all the murders are connected to the main storyline. Shown in passing is an older professional-looking White guy shooting an unsuspecting young Osage woman in the head from behind as she was putting her baby into a baby carriage in front of his house.

Browsing around I believe that woman was Sibyl Beekman Bolton, and that she was under the guardianship of her murderer, Tribal Attorney Arthur Woodward. Woodward had been granted guardianship of five Osage children, including Beekman Bolton, all of whom were dead by 1923.

At the time the cause of Beekman Bolton’s death was variously listed as suicide and renal failure.

The only gratuitous part I saw was the reference to the murder of Blacks in the contemporary Tulsa riots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
3+ hours long.

Boring.

Barry Corbin. Texas actor.

He did a talk at a dinner the other day my cousin attended at an old historic fort south of Abilene. ( https://fortchadbourne.org/index.html ) My cousin said he was great, and talked freely of his experiences in movies and such.

He's getting kinda long in the tooth. Glad he is.

Ft Chadbourne has one of the best museums on the Texas Ft Trails ! The owners family has owned the Ranch since right after the Civil War. He grew up there right by the Fort on the Ranch. He has one of the largest personal collections of Sharp’s Buffalo Rifles and antique Winchester lever action rifles in TX, most all of which are on display in the museum there.
And also one of the largest personal collections of arrowheads and native artifacts in the state too. Most of which he found on the ranch while growing up there. He’s been featured on FOX’s News Nations, show, “Strange Inheritance”. The episode, is called “Double Barreled Texas Tale”
Heck of a nice guy and very knowledgeable firearm collector that I’ve known for years.
If your ever in that area of the state, close to Bronte, TX, Ft Chadbourne is well worth the time to stop and visit.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/22/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Also the only contingent of McCullogh’s Frontier Bataillon to see actual combat during the war btwn the states was stationed at Chadbourne. Battle of Dove Creek. White boys got their ass handed to em by a band of transient Kickapoos! Look it up. Interesting story.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Any movie over three hours, is pushing it in attention span time .

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Also the only contingent of McCullogh’s Frontier Bataillon to see actual combat during the war btwn the states was stationed at Chadbourne. Battle of Dove Creek. White boys got their ass handed to em by a band of transient Kickapoos! Look it up. Interesting story.

Yep, them Kickapoos were good shots with their rifles, which had been true of the Eastern tribes for about 100 years by that point.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cs2blue

Three hours and twenty six minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cs2blue

Three hours and twenty six minutes.

Over 3 hours of those two Libertard Commie actors De Niro & DiCaprio.
And that terrible actor from Friday Night Lights & Power of The Dog, Jesse Plemons.

I’ll pass on the seeing it at the Theater.

Bet it will be free on Amazon Prime or Netflix in no time. I’ll wait.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/22/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 14,481 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,304
Posts18,545,389
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.