Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great writing from the best of the classic gunwriters.

Old guy, old guns.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StGeorger
JOC was alright but he was no Elmer Keith šŸ˜‰

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What? No mention of BC? How did Oā€™Connor manage:). Superb article. Makes me want to revisit the 7x57. Maybe if a nice Ruger #1 comes along at the right priceā€¦.

Lou

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a 7x57 sitting in the corner of one of my safes. It has killed Fallow deer, and wild pigs. Even a fox as a target of opportunity. It was made by Zastava, and the barrel is just great. Like JOC 200m is my self imposed limit, and it's been a one shot killer at all times. Favourite bullets are the 139gn SST and the 154gn Interlock. Only H4350 is used with Norma brass. I nearly sold it a while back but realised I had a keeper, and pulled back from the brink.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I think you have that the other way around. Keith led a very interesting life, but when it came to writing, he wasn't even remotely in the same league as JOC.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iā€™m not certain if Iā€™ve read that exact piece, but since Old Jack, like most gun scribblers, often recycled stories to make his points, I think Iā€™ve read all the individual parts in one place or another. He certainly had a way with words, and lived in a golden age for hunting opportunities.

Thanks for posting. Thatā€™s one lengthy post I didnā€™t skip or scan through.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I have been on the lookout for a mtn. rifle in 7x57 or 257 Roberts

They are scarce. I was on the hunt for a MR in 257R a couple decades ago and could only find one but the old fellow would not let it go. I ended up just having one built. I still own it and still like it.

Same goes for the 7x57 .... I had one done up on a FN-98. Both are keeper guns.

In reality, there is nothing outstanding about the 7x57. There is a whole list of middle-of-the-road cartridges that will give similar results, but it seems to have an attraction about it for gun heads. It has a bit more panache than a 308 or 270.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That was a fantastic read, and all of your comments, greatly appreciate it, I learned a lot :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I think you have that the other way around. Keith led a very interesting life, but when it came to writing, he wasn't even remotely in the same league as JOC.
I mostly agree.

JOC was definitely the better writer but I usually found Keith more fun to read. Two completely different styles though.ā€œHell I Was There!ā€ was one of my favorite gun books as a kid.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Iā€™ve had this article on my hard drive for years! Love it. Nice pic of the M70 too.

The way life should be.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you have any other such "gems" on that hard drive you were fooling around with, please pass them along.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Happy to check

The way life should be.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Absolutely correct, Keith was no where close to same league as JOC. cool

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great article. I've never read this one by OConnor.
I've owned several 7 Mausers, have carried a few for pronghorn hunts, but if memory serves I've never dropped anything but a coyote with one. Presently I have two that are great shooters (a custom built on a Mex receiver) and another in a single shot. The latter I carried yesterday for the deer opener. I rattled in a doe/fawn a couple times, but never saw horns. It was one of those glorious fall Montana days you don't want everybody to know about. A snow/rain mix forecast for next week!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had a few 7mm's over the years, but settled on this Mexican action to make my keeper. I don't try to make a 7mm Magnum out of it, but shoot the standard loads, which are pretty mild. About all I will challenge it with are deer and hogs. It has done all I have asked of it and I don't expect that to change.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I've had a few 7mm's over the years, but settled on this Mexican action to make my keeper. I don't try to make a 7mm Magnum out of it, but shoot the standard loads, which are pretty mild. About all I will challenge it with are deer and hogs. It has done all I have asked of it and I don't expect that to change.

Damn fine looking firearm, what a beauty!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1936 Mexican action is my favorite SR 98 military Mauser action to build on.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

That is a stunning stock.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joe

That is a stunning stock.

Agree. I'd be very pleased with that.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One the years I've has something like love/hate relationship with the 7x57. First instance was with a neat little 1893 Mauser someone had made inoi a Rigby style sporter. I was living in a small town in Nevada and the only 7x57 ammo on hand was some Federal 175 gr. round nose. Well, the cartridge made its reputation on similar loads and I could stalk well enough should I see a deer so I took it out opening day. About 8AM I spotted a nice eating size buck and took the shot. Easy shot at roughly 75 yards and the deer took off. My wife who was with me and I searched for that deer until it was too dark to see anything. I found what the coyotes had left the next day. Shortly after that I sold that rifle.

My next 7x57 was a Ruger M77 that I founds on consignment at a local LGS. I had one hell of a time finding an accurate load but took it hunting anyway I'd found a load that did 2" so went with that. Never saw a deer that year and a few problems with the rifle besides poor accuracy so it got traded off.

I fond a Ruger #1A in 7x57 that was fairly priced but frankly I never could get a decent group. When I took it to my gunsmith one of the first thing he dod and do a chamber cast. Rifles aren't supposed to have 2+" throats so back to Ruger it went. It's a decent shooter now but I almost dumped it as well.

Next was a Winchester XTR Featherweight and it has been a pleasure to work with after my gunsmith glass bedded and did a proper trigger job. Barrel fouled badly and it took some long hours getting the copper out. A firelapping job has pretty much cure that problem and it groups better that before the firelap.

About a year later I got the urge for a custom rifle and used an FN Mauser that was a .270 Win. rebarreled it to 7x57 and put it into a stock. came out real nice. Problem is when I got that 270 way back when as part of a trade, it had a problem so I stuck it in the closet and forgot about it. I didn't remember why I'd stuck it away and as the problem was intermittent, neither did my gunsmith.

Did a deer hunt with the M70 XTR, shot a deer which though not a fault of the cartridge or rifle ruined a knee to the point I needed to be helped off the mountain. I've only lost/not recovered two deer that I've shot and both were with the 7x57.

last but not least, I was headed to the range to do a final check on the sights of my M70 XTR 7x57 two days prior to leaving for New Mexico for a cow elk meat hunt. Bad car wreck that totaled my truck and put me in hospital for fours days, thus losing my hunt and the deposit.

I'm seriously beginning to think the 7x57, at least for me is a jinx, a Jonah as far as a hunting cartridge. I've never had any kind of problems using various rifles on game except the 7x57. Only lost two deer in many years of hunting and both were shot with the 7x57. Since that car wreck I've been to messed up to even do a hunt and at 85 years old, not sure I'll ever do another, DAMMIT!
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,708
Posts18,494,424
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.