Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
why not fix the gate rather then take a picture, it is public land if we can use it we should be responsible for maintaining it

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It may be public land but the gate is someone else's property and it's not "the public's" responsibility to maintain it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I miss baling wire......

It's what I use to hold my britches up.

Barbed wire works mo betta. Really grips.

I tried that, it kept breaking.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I miss baling wire......

I carry a roll of tie wire in my pickup and Mule. Used to be several bundles of baling wire from the baling wire pile.

Probably some don't know what bundles are. You cut the the two strands of baling wire, pull them off then fold twice and wrap the remaining wire around it, toss it in the baling wire pile for fixin' fence and making automotive repairs.. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Makes a pretty good rod for acetylene welding, also. It takes a high quality steel to extrude it that fine.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, not uncommon experience out here - and have seen worse.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It may be public land but the gate is someone else's property and it's not "the public's" responsibility to maintain it.

It's not the public's responsibility to break it either, but they do. Or leave it open so the cattle get out, but they do.

Or as evidenced by the shotgun mark, and broken hinges in the OP photos, to shoot the latch chain off, or just drive through it to open it...but they did.

Or shoot up windmills, water tanks, and cattle troughs. But they do.

Or shoot an expensive registered Angus bull in my pasture. But they did that too.

I'm certainly glad to be done with ranching on public land. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Maybe so, but if you can fix it, why wouldn't you. It's not that hard.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe if I knew the owner of the gate and knew he wouldn't mind me monkeying with it. If it was mine and I needed it to work right, meaning be easily opened and closed securely because the public had right-of-way, Id want to fix it myself and not depend on a total stranger to do it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

It's not the public's responsibility to break it either, but they do. Or leave it open so the cattle get out, but they do.

Or as evidenced by the shotgun mark, and broken hinges in the OP photos, to shoot the latch chain off, or just drive through it to open it...but they did.

Or shoot an expensive registered Angus bull in my pasture. But they did that too.

I'm certainly glad to be done with ranching on public land. wink

And then they bitch and moan about locked gates even on private land!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Sorry to hear that, all of that sucks. But it really has nothing to do with my comments, which were in response to a guy who said Geno, who wasn't even driving the road or using the gate, should have fixed it.

Do you fault him for not fixing it?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not necessarily. The BLM builds many miles of fences for grazing allotments, including gates. The majority are just wire gates but in heavy use areas, good metal gates are sometimes used, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks have taken to stealing good metal gates. It happened at my grandparents land.
My suspicion is Hutterites that left the colony, but I can’t prove it.

Last edited by ruffcutt; 10/22/23. Reason: Edit

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Not necessarily. The BLM builds many miles of fences for grazing allotments, including gates. The majority are just wire gates but in heavy use areas, good metal gates are sometimes used, too.

Even better, BLM needs to get off their ass and maintain their fences.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I guess BLM has different policies for different regions.

Where I had BLM permits, you COULD apply for assistance which amounted to 40% of the materials, but you had to keep it maintained and it had to be built to their specifications. Their specs were just a common 5 wire ranch fence.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
It's a typical occurrence here, to be honest; I've seen worse.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Geno - when you're walking the pooches in that country, do you have to keep an eye out for rattlers?

Sure looks snaky.
Yes, mostly between late May and late Sept. Been freezing most night since mid Sept, but we've had a warm spell last couple of weeks with daytime temps in the 70's and even a couple of 80's. Saw a gopher snake the other day, so snakes are still active.

Mostly when I'm with the wife we walk on the roads, this time of year (hunting season) they wear orange so some azzhat doesn't shoot thinking they're coyotes or deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The dogs spot the snakes before we do on occasion. They're always leashed, due to being whippets we don't want them to see a rabbit, coyote, deer, antelope, etc and be in the next county before dark so we usually can stop them before they get to close. They want to kill everything, so we have to watch them around snakes. Surprisingly, we've only seen one rattler in the 7 years we've been here, right off the back porch in the yard. He ded, and eaten.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sheister
Judging by the hinge pin it looks like somebody forced the gate open and damaged it. Not all that unusual on these BLM gates this time of year IME
Might be, the gate was bent some in the middle. Can't imagine why they'd want to push it open though, I've never seen any of the BLM gates here locked, and as I mentioned it had been closed with a flagpole clip and short chain.

Couple of the ranchers and hunters around here have been known to knock back a few. Who knows, maybe they closed the gate behind them, put the truck in gear, gave it some throttle, only to realize it was in reverse. That's why they had to tie it closed with baler twine?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ToddNE
why not fix the gate rather then take a picture, it is public land if we can use it we should be responsible for maintaining it
Yeah, I had my old wife along with me (I left the young ones at home to stay pretty) and the hinge was loose in the post and would have needed to have a hole drilled to reset it. I didn't bring the drill, or a brace and bit, with me on our dog walk

Was in the passenger car too, or I'd have had some tie wire at least, and tools, if I'd have been in the truck. The whippets are spoilt though, don't ride in the back of trucks unless it's an emergency.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Sorry to hear that, all of that sucks. But it really has nothing to do with my comments, which were in response to a guy who said Geno, who wasn't even driving the road or using the gate, should have fixed it.

Do you fault him for not fixing it?

Well, we did drive in behind the gate to start our walk. The gate is right at the county road. Drove in maybe 20 yards to a wide spot so others might get by if needed and so we could U turn easily when leaving. Behind the gate is just one more obstacle for someone with bad intentions if we parked right on the county road in a remote area. The lazy no good sunsabishes would at least have to get out of their vehicle, open a gate, before they could check out our car for scheidt to steal.

Maybe one of the rancher types know the rules for BLM allotments.............who's responsible for the fence and gates? The allotment holder or BLM?

Actually kind of surprises that's a pipe gate. Most of them around here are barb wire gates. Might be since it's relatively popular for hunters they wanted one that's easy to open and, more importantly, close. Some folks still don't know how to operate a wire gate.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I guess BLM has different policies for different regions.

Where I had BLM permits, you COULD apply for assistance which amounted to 40% of the materials, but you had to keep it maintained and it had to be built to their specifications. Their specs were just a common 5 wire ranch fence.

Oops, guess I should have read all the posts before replying and questioning above. I thought that might be the way maintenance worked around here too.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 280shooter, 338Rules, 30incher, 29 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,324
Posts18,505,860
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.