Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18857508 10/20/23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I put a shortened barrel on the 1100 this AM and loaded up a magazine full of shells.

Tried to cycle the bolt manually to check function with the Mag extension and 7 rounds of buckshot up the tube but the bolt stayed open after trying to cycle manually.

Did a quick search on the net and dirty mag tube, weak mag spring and the carrier latch all popped up as possible issues.

Tore the gun down again and I had the short mag spring in, not the long one that came with the extension so I swapped those, same issue.

Decided to drop the trigger group to clean that and when I did the feed latch fell out.

I understand this should probably be restaked or at least glued in.

My question is, could this be the feed problem with the bolt being held back when trying to cycle each shell or will I be looking at something else once this issue is addressed??

As far as I know this gun has either never been shot or was shot only a handful of times. Wife's dad had it and it looked pristine when I got it from the case. No marks on elevator, bolt face or anywhere else.

It did cycle fine when I got it a couple of years back and did a quick mag load up and cycled the bolt. Still unfired by me so it's not like something would have worn out.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No 1100 mechanics??

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The feed latch is held in place by the trigger group when assembled so it should not keep the action from closing. The latch is staked in to hold it while inserting the trigger group.
It sounds like the carrier latch is not being tripped by the shell feeding from the magazine tube. Look at the magazine spring and follower again.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tube is clean. Stretched the spring and gained 2-3". Follower maybe a tiny bit rough, put some powdered graphite on it. Still a no go.

I am going to order an enhanced stainless follower and see if that may help.

Like you say the shells aren't tripping the carrier latch. Best I can tell by manually operating it is the shell never reaches it.

If I lock bolt open with barrel off and push on the latch it takes maybe 1# of effort to trip it. Seems a bit heavy but may not be.

Keep in mind, this is manual operation only. I have had a couple other 1100s and I do not remember having to push the release for every shell when manually unloading.

May try to shake loose in the morning and test by actually shooting the gun. Haven't shot it in the couple years I have owned it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/21/23.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
When you change more than one thing at a time... you are screwed because you have no idea what is messed up. Put the gun back to factory, then check it. Hopefully it will function. If so then change one item, check, etc.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rapier
When you change more than one thing at a time... you are screwed because you have no idea what is messed up. Put the gun back to factory, then check it. Hopefully it will function. If so then change one item, check, etc.
Already back together with a stretched spring and still a no go.

Will shoot first to see if it's just an issue when manually cycling.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 1100 is designed so that the bolt stays open when you manually work it. It needs a very vigorous action to make it work. When loading it by hand you have to push the release on the bottom of the shell lifter so it will close. Shooting it will cause it to work 'correctly' as you expect.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
The 1100 is designed so that the bolt stays open when you manually work it. It needs a very vigorous action to make it work. When loading it by hand you have to push the release on the bottom of the shell lifter so it will close. Shooting it will cause it to work 'correctly' as you expect.
This^^^ the 1187 will do what you want.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by Mrfixit
This^^^ the 1187 will do what you want.
Must be my problem. Haven't shot an 1100 for a while and have shot too many Golds, Super Xs, 11-87s and other autos that fed automatically while unloading.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/23/23.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mag extension on and 7 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger last night.

I am always reminded of how little the 1100 recoil compared to most other gas guns.

Fed flawlessly.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like the 10 rd ext myself..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Like the 10 rd ext myself..mb
That'd be okay but barrel length has me stuck at 7.

8 rounds in the 12 plus whatever else I can get my mitts on should keep em at bay.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would check where the link goes into the follower. The follower maybe bent and its hanging up in the recoil sp tube.

I can send you a staking tool to stake in shell stop. Just send it back when done with it. Do not glue it in.

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It runs. Had it stuck in my head that it didn't ha e to push the button after cycling a shell out to manually unload.

Give me a few days and I may PM you on the tool to stake the latch.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
a true staking tool is the 'best' way to do it. But I have staked them with a pair of vice grip pliers by padding the outside of the receiver with a thick piece of leather and using a piece of clear tape to hold a steel BB in the jaw of the vice grip.
1-place the latch in the slot, put both of the trigger group pins in to hold it in the correct place.
2-tape the steel BB (from an airgun) to the jaw of the vice grip
3-Position the BB where the stake needs to be and give her a good squeeze.

I've done 2 870's this way. I have an 1100 that I'm turning into a home defense job that I will do the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 4,380 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,674
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.